Ipen Due in Today

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by s-o-teric, Mar 9, 2012.

1. s-o-teric, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012

s-o-teric macrumors newbie

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but I figured it was big enough news to get its own.

Cregle announced on their Kickstarter page that they finally got approval from Apple to start shipping the iPen and you can now buy it from their store:

http://store.cregle.com/products/ipen

ALSO

Ghostwriter has a 10% off code on their website for the iPen at http://www.majorspot.com/ (code can be found at the bottom of the page).

I've been looking for a stylus accurate enough to be able to get rid of all my Moleskine notebooks and I'm hoping this is it. :)

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Also posted on their Kickstarter page....not sure it will work with the iPad 3rd Gen.

Update #30: The New iPad compatibility
    Posted 1 day ago

Digging into the specs of the New iPad, we are almost certain that iPen can work on the New iPad. iPen comes with much precise coordination mechanism. It’ll be compatible to the New iPad’s retina display: 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi). There might be some other factors we’re not aware of, so we cannot validate the compatibility until we test the New iPad. Like everyone else, we won’t receive the New iPad until March 16. We’ll keep you posted as soon as we’ve the result.

Best regards,

Cregle

3. s-o-teric thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I should have mentioned that. Also worth noting that I was able to use both the Ghostwriter code (%10) and the friends discount (%10) after someone used my referral.

4. MortalDays macrumors regular

This iPen which costs $90 only works with THREE apps. Thanks but no thanks. And it doesn't even confirm to be compatible with iPad 3.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Its unfortunate for them that they coincidentally received Apple approval to sell the thing within days of the announcement of a new iPad model.

And yes, much like the iCade, it looks like a nice device that is only as good as those apps that have been written to support it.

I wish them luck but.....doubt it will succeed.

6. MortalDays macrumors regular

To be honest, I am looking for a stylus myself that provides the great precision like iPen offers. I guess my search still continues...

7. s-o-teric thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know where you're getting three, because their site currently lists ten. They've said that more apps are on the way. I'm okay with the list they have now though and I'm fine with trading the quality and accuracy for a limited amount of apps and higher price tag.

As ReallyBigFeet mentioned, it is a bit of a risk for the new iPad, but I'll have both here soon hopefully and will give everyone a review :)

8. MortalDays macrumors regular

Please do. From the looks of the website, there are 2 different portals for the same product depending on where you click.

Also, from the compatible apps, they only support PDF annotating and not powerpoint slides which is quite disappointing since a lot of my class notes use power points.

Mm..

9. michaelaalan macrumors newbie

It's unfortunate but unless apple decides to put a digitizer in the iPad (which means directly going against Steve's stance on styli) I think this is the best its gonna get. Capacitive styli are the only ones that will work in all apps and by their very nature will alway suck. Solutions like the ipen can do better but because of the sandboxed nature of ios, have to be implemented on an app by app basis.

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Looking forward to your review and, if it works on iPad 3, may be enough to get me to buy one. Personally, I've been pretty happy with the Adonit Jot and Noteability. The software's zoom mode makes up for the lack of precision from the pen (which is actually far more precise than any rubber-nibbed stylus to date). But the iPen appears to be precision incarnate and if so...maybe I'll make the jump.

Good luck with your purchase and please keep us posted! I want to believe!

11. allaboutmusic macrumors member

The FAQ says that iPen 2 will have pressure sensitivity - now THAT on the retina screen will be worth having!

12. s-o-teric thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Is it too much for me to also hope that the receiver will plug in with the new Incipio Lexington case that I ordered on it? :rolleyes:

13. note235 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

So how much is it with both the discounts?

14. note235 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Btw I'll be buying one, whose link can I use? Thanks !

15. schaabie macrumors member

I am looking at buying one. If I understand correctly, those who refer someone get a 10% discount. Does anybody need me to be their referral?

16. s-o-teric thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

The Ghostwriter Note was 10% and the referral was 10%

17. note235 macrumors 6502a

Yes I was going to buy it soon, could I on you my link?

18. omni macrumors 6502

Looks really laggy.

I've bought a ton of stylus (styli?) and tons of note taking apps and the key to replacing a moleskine isn't 100% the stylus. I would say its about 50% stylus and 50% the app and how it laggy it is.

The best handwriting app IMO is the free bamboo app. Super smooth and fast. It it has no wrist protection so I kicked it out.

Tied for 2nd is either upad or noteshelf. Both have an interesting take on wrist protection and both are super fast.

The best styli I've used has been the jot pro and the bamboo stylus.

I'm not saying the iPen might not be incredible but I would not be shocked if it doesn't solve your problems either.

With my jot pro and noteshelf I've totally stopped using a moleskine and keep everything digital / exported to Evernote

19. note235 macrumors 6502a

bought one
    will also give review when ipad and ipen arrive

how do we get a referal sig?
    thanks!

20. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I bought one also. Did not know of the referal program. Oh, well. :eek:

21. tekm, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

tekm macrumors newbie

Those with jailbroken devices beware! Apparently the device supposedly does not work with them. I ordered one and didn't notice the issue until I read about it in the comments section of the kickstarter page.

Update: Apparently there is a workaround. It works if you plug it in when the iPad is off and then proceed to turn it on.

22. note235 macrumors 6502a

how are you liking it so far?

23. tekm macrumors newbie

I actually just ordered the thing yesterday, so I have no idea when it will arrive. Can't wait to try it out and will try to report back when I get it.

24. xStatiCa macrumors regular

Thanks for the post. I didn't know about this. Looks like a winner assuming more developers start supporting it.

25. note235 macrumors 6502a

im too excited too
    hope it arrives by friday lol