iPhi - Incredibly powerful calculator and question answering App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by betaphi, Jan 23, 2014.

1. betaphi, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

betaphi macrumors member

betaphi

Hey everybody,

I'm the developer of iPhi, which is an incredibly powerful calculator and a universal question answering App.
    It solves problems in the field of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, economics and many more.
    Also it is able to answer questions in the fields of geography, history, music and many more...

[​IMG]

As a backend it uses the well known Wolfram|Alpha™ Computational Knowledge Engine™, that it presents without distractions and it automatically puts the focus of the window on the content.

[​IMG]

One of it's unique features is that it provides specialized input forms for regularly occurring mathematical problems like differentiate, integrate, solving linear algebra problems, 2D-/3D-plotting and solving equations.
    All these problems can be complicated to type into a single lined input text field that Wolfram|Alpha usually provides. Here iPhi comes into play and makes things much easier for you.

[​IMG]

Also it has built in support for Wolfram|Alpha Pro!

Here's the link to the webpage: http://www.coldx.net/iPhi/en

And here directly to the Mac App Store where it's for sale for $1.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iphi/id795810915?l=de&ls=1&mt=12

If you have any feedback, feature requests or any other questions... let me know! ;-)

Hope it helps!

2. LPZ, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014

LPZ macrumors 65816

Some advice for future ads---it's "differentiate" not "derive", and "integrate" not "intergrate" ;).

3. betaphi, Jan 23, 2014

betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

@LPZ: I'm not a native speaker but I think I use the right words here as I'm referring to the mathematical terms "derivative" and "integral" where the verb for "making" one of these are as far as I know "to derive" and "to integrate"...

4. LPZ, Jan 23, 2014

LPZ macrumors 65816

I'm a mathematician. The verb is "differentiate" rather than "derive". Trust me. ;)

5. betaphi, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

As I said: I'm not a native speaker... ;-) What's most important is the feature itself that helps the people. Not the title of a button leading to it ;-)

6. LPZ, Jan 23, 2014

LPZ macrumors 65816

It's your app, so you may label the button as you wish. Since most of my students incorrectly use "derive" instead of "differentiate", perhaps your choice is best from a marketing perspective. :)

7. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Version 1.2

Just submitted Version 1.2 of iPhi to the Mac App Store waiting for Apple to review it and finally update it on the Store.

@LPZ: You were right, "differentiate" is the more commonly used word. So I changed the titles of the buttons in Version 1.2 to the right term. Thank you for telling me by the way! :)

Also Ver 1.2 brings some "under the hood" changes...

8. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Announcement: iPhi Version 1.2

Here it is!
    Apple just accepted Version 1.2 of iPhi.

Changelog:
    - Fixed a Bug where the Sidebar could not get collapsed when the App was in Fullscreen Mode.
    - Changed some labels
    - Minor bug fixes

9. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Looks great. Good luck - nice to see someone having a go.

10. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Am I the only person that read "answering machine" and thought this was a calculator app that also handled your phone calls? I thought, "wait, why would I want my calculator to answer my phone calls? That's just weird."

Maybe change the headline to "iPhi, the incredibly powerful calculator and a universal question answering machine."

11. numlock macrumors 68000

me too.

i thought that was the weirdest combo but what do i know

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I had the same reaction. I would drop the "machine" and call it a question answering app.

13. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

derive vs. differentiate reminds me of a bug I fixed in a software once, where that software offered the calculation of a sinus function - which is the German word for sine, but has a different meaning for English native speakers :D (and the user interface was in English, that's why that was considered a bug).

14. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Haha! I was quite amused while reading your posts about how you interpreted "answering machine" :-D

I changed the title to "Question answering App". I hope that makes clear what the App is able to do on the first reading! :)

15. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Just submited iPhi version 1.3 to the Mac App Store

Hey everybody,

I just submited iPhi version 1.3 to the Mac App Store.
    It should be available for downloading in a couple of days after Apple has reviewed it.

Enjoy! ;-)

The Changelog:
    - Even better presentation of your results
    - Changed the way the specialized input forms interact with Wolfram|Alpha™

16. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Announcement: iPhi Version 1.3

Here it is. Approved by Apple! ;-)

17. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Announcement: iPhi Version 1.4

Today I'm announcing iPhi Version 1.4 that is already available in the Mac App Store.

Version 1.4 is a bugfix release, so it contains no new features.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Confusingly, you differentiate to derive the derivative :mad: