Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max models include the necessary hardware for a two-way charging feature that was widely rumored for the devices, but Apple has disabled the feature on the software end, according to "reliable sources" cited by leaker and former Apple blogger Sonny Dickson.

Reliable sources are saying iPhone 11 and 11 Pro do include the hardware for bilateral charging, but that it is software disabled. Uncertain whether this was removed prior to final production run. - Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson) September 13, 2019

Dickson, through his connections, has proven reliable at times in the past. He had early line of sight on the AirPower's development challenges, for example, and the wireless charging mat was eventually canceled.

For months ahead of their unveiling, the latest iPhones were rumored to feature a Qi-based device-to-device charging feature, allowing for an Apple Watch, AirPods, and other accessories to charge on the back of the iPhones. The feature was expected to be similar to Wireless PowerShare on Samsung's Galaxy S10.

samsung-wireless-powershare.jpg

The centered Apple logo on the iPhone 11 models was even believed to be partly intended to help customers know where to place their AirPods, Apple Watch, or other accessories to charge on the back of the iPhone.

Just hours before Apple's event this week, however, noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the feature appeared to have been canceled. In a note seen by MacRumors, Kuo said the feature was possibly abandoned because "the charging efficiency may not meet Apple's requirements."

greeniphone11pro-800x601.jpg

Teardowns of the iPhone 11 models will soon confirm whether the two-way charging hardware is in fact present in the devices. Deliveries to customers and in-store availability will begin Friday, September 20.

(Thanks, Burak Polat!)

Article Link: iPhone 11 Lineup Said to Include Two-Way Charging Hardware, But Software Disabled

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
But why disable it will it ever be released

Theres speculations they will reveal it together with the new AirPods, but i wouldn’t get my hopes up

Id rather bet on them realizing last minute in the lab, that some edge cases lead to the battery firing up or something like that. So they deactivated it per software since the iPhones already were in full production.

Or maybe they just wanted to see how well the iPhones would sell without that feature. Kind of push the envelope, and if it works out they just announce it next year instead (an extra keynote feature for free). And if sales are lacking, they still can pull of a delayed one more thing.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
The charging efficiency is probably very bad. People are complaining about the Samsung Powershare feature as well. Basically, 80% of power is completely lost as heat (Example: one phone loses 15% battery while the other only gains 3%). It might be ok to charge small devices like an apple watch or the airpods but definitely not a phone.

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
This is actually one reason why the new iPhone Pro is disappointing. Imagine going on a weekend trip with your iPhone and Apple Watch. With this technology you wont need to bring your watch charging cable with you. Just take a shower and put your watch on the back of the iPhone while the smartwatch is being charged by cable.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
This is actually one reason why the new iPhone Pro is disappointing. Imagine going on a weekend trip with your iPhone and Apple Watch. With this technology you wont need to bring your watch charging cable with you. Just take a shower and put your watch on the back of the iPhone while the smartwatch is being charged by cable.
Here is the thing, it'll need to be a pretty loooooong shower.

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
I suspect this is the equivalent of the iPhone containing a radio. While the controller chip my have the functionality, the rest of the hardware is missing.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Again, not once has Apple promised this feature.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Any Samsung users out there who could use it, and have actually used it? How efficient is it? If my phone is 100% charged and a friend's phone is on 10%, how much do I lose to get him to 50%?
I have tried this once with my S10+. The device you are charging, charges slowly so I have never tried it again. I always keep an Anker 21,000 battery pack in my car because it charges much faster. the Anker fast charges my S10+ and my Note 10.

I am skipping the iPhone this year and bought the Note 10+ instead.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
People really are clamoring for this feature? This is nothing to get worked up about Lol.

How often would you pop your AirPods on your phone to charge?

Many of us don’t want it to charge stuff on the go. It would be a great feature to have when traveling, and not having to carry additional cords to charge a watch or AirPods. Just plug the phone in and rest your watch on it overnight.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
My guess is that it would nuke your battery to the point where it's not really worth it. I'm curious to know if it's an issue of hardware/software/or both. If it's just software, maybe they can get it figured out eventually.
I wonder if the extra battery life that the phones have was intended to be used for this 2 way charging. Maybe they felt it was better to give people the extra 4 hours of battery life instead of the 2 way charge? Just speculation on my part.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Interesting. If true, and given that other phones are doing this, I would wonder how high Apple's "standards" are on this. Wouldn't it be better to have the inefficient feature vs. not having the feature at all?

By this logic Apple wouldn't have added a camera to the iPhone until the iPhone 7 to meet their "standards."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.