Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dooku77

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
I will add that if you have any type of home security/cameras, I feel that the iPhone meshes well with those types of systems. My 11 pro max works extremely well with my Ring cameras over my android.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I mentioned that because the OP brought it up.

Btw it's not 10x optical. It's 3.9x on the ultra. And the non-ultra is not 3x either, it's basically the same focal length as the main lens lol.

Why would anyone fall for 100X digital zoom? They should rename it to Potato Zoom and it'd be much more accurate. Having said that ... the S20 Ultra does have 10X Optical Zoom ... and that's mighty impressive for a phone.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I had a OnePlus 7t pro McLaren and the 90hz refresh was cool, but goodbye battery. It's up to you, but I'd stay with the note.
I got one of those, it overheated on day one and shut off. Didn't help my signal issue here either. It was a hail Mary before I had to leave T-Mobile for AT&T. The case it came with was super cool though.

Yep, battery was terrible as well.

I'm using my Pro Max and my LG G8 ThinQ. I do still hope to get my hand on a bigger LG this year sometime. I like the Quad DAC.
cba9abd7db6e461cbbf15c3669fc5798.jpg

dooku77

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
I got one of those, it overheated on day one and shut off. Didn't help my signal issue here either. It was a hail Mary before I had to leave T-Mobile for AT&T. The case it came with was super cool though.

Yep, battery was terrible as well.

I'm using my Pro Max and my LG G8 ThinQ. I do still hope to get my hand on a bigger LG this year sometime. I like the Quad DAC.
cba9abd7db6e461cbbf15c3669fc5798.jpg
When I brought it back to the store and explained to them how hot the phone was getting and the signal issues, they were like "your the first person to complain of that." Ya ok. I have unlocked note 10+ 512gb and unlocked 11 pro max. Don't want to give the carriers anymore money than my service bill.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
I was tempted with the one plus 7 pro for rooting ect miss the old xda days lol doesnt seem to be a thing no more

Mind you phones are getting that good no real need to no more

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Each platform has their pros and cons - it all depends on which one you’re leaning more towards based on what they are providing for you. I feel like Android and iOS are both very capable softwares that can help you with any task you need to accomplish, it just depends on which ‘look’ and ’feel’ is more your preference over the other.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Each platform has their pros and cons - it all depends on which one you’re leaning more towards based on what they are providing for you. I feel like Android and iOS are both very capable softwares that can help you with any task you need to accomplish, it just depends on which ‘look’ and ’feel’ is more your preference over the other.

The difference being Android is much more customizable over iOS, which can be an advantage if somebody swaps platforms. However, if somebody is devoted to iOS, and they don’t care about customization, I don’t see any real distinct advantages to android.

What consumers need to realize about android, you’re only really receiving two, maybe three years of software updates and their security features are not nearly on the level that iOS security protocols are. To me, longevity of iOS support with more continual updates and Apple values _my_ privacy, is which is why I stay devoted to iOS.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
The difference being Android is much more customizable over iOS, which can be an advantage if somebody swaps platforms. However, if somebody is devoted to iOS, and they don’t care about customization, I don’t see any real distinct advantages to android.

What consumers need to realize about android, you’re only really receiving two, maybe three years of software updates and their security features are not nearly on the level that iOS security protocols are. To me, longevity of iOS support with more continual updates and Apple values _my_ privacy, is which is why I stay devoted to iOS.

it’s a double edged sword with ios, you get the updates and eventually the phone will slow down, wasn’t that a complaint a few years back and the controversy of apple slowing its phones down because of “battery optimization”

i find if i buy a new iphone i find an update i like and i stay with it for years as to not “mess up” my phone

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I mentioned that because the OP brought it up.

Btw it's not 10x optical. It's 3.9x on the ultra. And the non-ultra is not 3x either, it's basically the same focal length as the main lens lol.
I’m not sure where you’re getting that information. You’re literally the only person on the internet right now stating that it’s 3.9X. Every site discussing the device has shown off 3, 5, and 10X zoom. Do you have a source for your info?
[automerge]1582423608[/automerge]

If you’re a compulsive tech person like me that updates every year then the updates don’t really matter. Longevity for phones definitely belongs to Apple though.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Samsung's own website https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s20/specs/

You can see that the ultra's main camera has a FOV of 79˚ while the zoom lens is 24˚. That equates to about 26mm for the main camera, and about 101mm for the zoom lens (full frame equivalent). That's about 3.88x zoom.

What's even more nuts is the non-ultra's zoom lens, which isn't a zoom lens at all. 76˚ vs 79˚.

The average person doesn't know that much about cameras, including most YouTubers. Samsung has really gone out of their way to make this hard to get, hard to understand. All smoke and mirrors.

I’m not sure where you’re getting that information. You’re literally the only person on the internet right now stating that it’s 3.9X. Every site discussing the device has shown off 3, 5, and 10X zoom. Do you have a source for your info?
[automerge]1582423608[/automerge]

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Samsung's own website https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s20/specs/

You can see that the ultra's main camera has a FOV of 79˚ while the zoom lens is 24˚. That equates to about 26mm for the main camera, and about 101mm for the zoom lens (full frame equivalent). That's about 3.88x zoom.

What's even more nuts is the non-ultra's zoom lens, which isn't a zoom lens at all. 76˚ vs 79˚.

The average person doesn't know that much about cameras, including most YouTubers. Samsung has really gone out of their way to make this hard to get, hard to understand. All smoke and mirrors.
That's very helpful, thank you.

Reactions: loybond

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
it’s a double edged sword with ios, you get the updates and eventually the phone will slow down

I’ve owned every iPhone almost up-to-date and I’ve never experienced a ‘slowdown’. I mean, what are we talking about when you say slow- down that would affect your usage? [I.e., certain applications, gaming, runtime, Safari lag, ect.]

The reality is, it depends what you’re using your phone for, but I doubt for everyone (unless they have an iPhone 6 would notice a type of ‘slow down’), with the A-Series processors are so efficient in terms of managing optimization/speed with every iOS update, that’s not really common to experience a slowdown [Unless the iPhone is nearing the five-year-cycle], the iPhone is a work-horse, even given it’s Conservative Ram numbers.

Reactions: aue123

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have the Pro Max and S10+ with a S20 Ultra on pre order. I've always had both platforms, and found it so much easier to use Android as my daily driver for a much longer time.

The Pro Max is my daily driver now, until the S20 Ultra is delivered. I just can't stay on iOS (phone wise) for that long. My only real gripe about the Pro Max is the antenna and GPS, it can be horrible at times.

Trust me, unless you have a large circle of people that use iMessage constantly and it's features, it's really nothing to brag about. Let alone switch platforms for.

Apple Watch is a damn good watch, but I guarantee you'll only be happy with 1 or 2 watch faces. The S5 does have excellent AOD. There is also no offline Spotify service, like there is on Samsung watches.

Also, if you decide to get the Pro Max. You'll be better off using iCloud as 3rd party cloud services must be open in the background or forefront to sync or autosync your photos/videos.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have the Pro Max and S10+ with a S20 Ultra on pre order. I've always had both platforms, and found it so much easier to use Android as my daily driver for a much longer time.

The Pro Max is my daily driver now, until the S20 Ultra is delivered. I just can't stay on iOS (phone wise) for that long. My only real gripe about the Pro Max is the antenna and GPS, it can be horrible at times.

Trust me, unless you have a large circle of people that use iMessage constantly and it's features, it's really nothing to brag about. Let alone switch platforms for.

Apple Watch is a damn good watch, but I guarantee you'll only be happy with 1 or 2 watch faces. The S5 does have excellent AOD. There is also no offline Spotify service, like there is on Samsung watches.

Also, if you decide to get the Pro Max. You'll be better off using iCloud as 3rd party cloud services must be open in the background or forefront to sync or autosync your photos/videos.
the issue for me is the Apple Watch and how good it is is why it's impossible to leave the iPhone. Software is still a massive issue for me on the Samsung phones...notifications is still a major deal for me and I get too many to not get them on time.

we will see what camera improvements the 12 pro comes with....if it has similar improvements and 120hz display then really I don't see any massive differences even hardware wise between the iPhone and the ultra.

iCloud/family sharing and iMessage is a big deal in my family as we all use it. air pods/Apple TV/Apple Watch and iPad working together makes it very tough for people with other devices ever to switch no matter how good the hardware is on the new Samsung phones.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I’ve owned every iPhone almost up-to-date and I’ve never experienced a ‘slowdown’. I mean, what are we talking about when you say slow- down that would affect your usage? [I.e., certain applications, gaming, runtime, Safari lag, ect.]

The reality is, it depends what you’re using your phone for, but I doubt for everyone (unless they have an iPhone 6 would notice a type of ‘slow down’), with the A-Series processors are so efficient in terms of managing optimization/speed with every iOS update, that’s not really common to experience a slowdown [Unless the iPhone is nearing the five-year-cycle], the iPhone is a work-horse, even given it’s Conservative Ram numbers.
The only slowdown I ever experienced was the iOS 11 debacle. But other than that, it’s always been buttery smooth.

Reactions: Simacca

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Just been watching a video about jailbreak is that still a thing as alot of customisation that android has can be done once jailbroken

My only concern is does it break system apps and is there a work around for banking apps ect?

Thanks

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just been watching a video about jailbreak is that still a thing as alot of customisation that android has can be done once jailbroken

My only concern is does it break system apps and is there a work around for banking apps ect?

Thanks

Nowadays plenty of apps have JB detection. Especially media streaming, financial, and subscription based apps. There are workarounds, but it's a PITA, and each app has a differ workaround.

Also, plenty of "Android-like" customization is not very reliable.

If you jailbreak, you're better off being minimal at implementing things. If you customize like it's an android device, you will have frequent issues.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Samsung S20 Ultra doesn’t have dual SIM here in the USA. This is the main reason I wait till iPhone 12.
I know I can buy some international phone, but it comes without warranty and sometimes it is not compatible with volte/vowifi and domestic riaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.