Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I had the Pro for 2 days at home, didn’t took it out because it was without a case and was in the return period.

I literally test it on my desk for 2 days and I found a nice scratch on the screen; it wasn't there I´m sure, but I can´t tell how it happen, maybe when I tried how it fits on my pockets?

Last edited:

Elegy0711

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
The glass of the screenprotector is much less scratch-prone than the screen of the iPhone itself.
Really? I did not know that! I might just try one and see how I feel about it. I never used protectors for my iphones and yes, I did get scratches on the screen but always just accepted that happening on an object I use so much.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
Really? I did not know that! I might just try one and see how I feel about it. I never used protectors for my iphones and yes, I did get scratches on the screen but always just accepted that happening on an object I use so much.

We are obsessed with something that is on hands, pockets, bags, desks... is not an 27 iMac, is a phone, we have to live with scratches, bumps and dirt. The problem is that smartphones became a 1000 dollar toy.

roguester

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2019
Don’t forget diamond can scratch pretty much anything electronics related. People pick the phones up and look all around them. Touching the back, looking from weird angles to see how the stove tops look, etc.

samtom

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
I'm noticing that my 11 Pro scratches MUCH more easily than my XR did. I have more screen scratches in two weeks than in the a year's use of the XR. I treat them exactly the same - with care. My coworker is having the same experience. According to this article, other people are having the same issue also: https://www.gottabemobile.com/iphone-11-scratches-problems-scratchgate/

Here is my phone, these scratches run all the way around the perimeter.

Attachments

• IMG_5076.JPG
    IMG_5076.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,318

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I'm noticing that my 11 Pro scratches MUCH more easily than my XR did. I have more screen scratches in two weeks than in the a year's use of the XR. I treat them exactly the same - with care. My coworker is having the same experience. According to this article, other people are having the same issue also: https://www.gottabemobile.com/iphone-11-scratches-problems-scratchgate/

Wow! It looks like is a year old... send that back and get the 11 if you liked the XR

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

That is pretty bad. My wife and I never used them until the X series. My X scratched terribly, even though I think I baby them pretty well. I started using tempered glass last year, and was so much happier. I used to hate them, but the newest ones are nearly indistinguishable from having nothing on there, and it's saved me from having to look at scratches all year.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I see these posts every year. Every time, I wonder if something is different. And every year, no scratches on my phone.

Granted, I’m pretty careful with my devices, and don’t put anything else in the same pocket, but still...I have never gotten an obvious scratch on any of my phones. And I’ve had a bunch.

I’m not saying others haven’t had issues with scratches, but it sure hasn’t been my experience.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It's possible the oleophobic coating has been applied poorly at manufacturing stage? Maybe the more shatter resistant glass is softer? Maybe Apple want you to upgrade every year so have changed something?

That said alot of the example images/videos I've seen are friction marks and swirls and these don't happen by themselves. My less than 12 months old car has many small paint chips and light scratches and yet I take great care with it and have it professionally cleaned and polished regularly. Unsurprisingly stones, grit, dust, pollen are constantly hitting my car when I use it.

Last edited:

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
JerryRigEverything noticed scratches at levels 6 and 7 I highly doubt anyone in an apple store can do those scratches without an actual professional scratching tool.

Jerry and other "testers" merely spend a few minutes with the devices, and they don't need to save up to buy them. This means they simply don't spend enough time with the devices to get an every day experience (even if they give their videos catchy titles like "After 2 months with the phone"), and they don't check on these phones after a few days or weeks of 5-15 hours of daily use, since they never use them in the first place.

In that particular video Jerry unboxed, and went through his regular tests, one by one. However, he mainly focused on the back side of the iPhone. He didn't carry it around for days (in his soft cloth trousers pocket). Didn't got dust or fingerprints on it, didn't clean the screen repeatedly, never rubbed it against his T-Shirt, etc. In other words: these videos are fun to watch, but can not be called real scenario usage tests.

I doubt that famous Youtuber and Apple-fan "iPhoneDo" does carry it around either, since he claims to be a perfectionist. Or maybe he put on a full size screen protector (also covering the easy to scratch notch area) first thing after unboxing.

I'm not trying to proof anything here. Just mentioning this as the reason why I did not buy the iPhone 11 Pro when going to the store, after I have seen the scratches, and asking for your experiences/opinions. I was really looking forward to purchasing the new iPhone. I did a lot of reading up and waited for the day, but then was quite taken back, inside the actual store on my day of planed purchasing, by the scratches on every iPhone 11 Pro on display.

I might be ok with spending € 600 on such a phone, and have a € 35 screen protector applied, but not so much for a € 1319 (iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB) + € 239 Apple Care + € 45 case + € 35 screen protector = € 1638 = $ 1800. I will stay with my iPhone 6S for a while longer, meanwhile continuing to enjoy my headphone jack and 3D-Touch.

IMG_8086.jpg

Last edited:

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
iJustine noticed serious scratches on her display, MKBHD noticed some too

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I see these posts every year. Every time, I wonder if something is different. And every year, no scratches on my phone.

Granted, I’m pretty careful with my devices, and don’t put anything else in the same pocket, but still...I have never gotten an obvious scratch on any of my phones. And I’ve had a bunch.

I’m not saying others haven’t had issues with scratches, but it sure hasn’t been my experience.

Last year, there was an uproar of members basically wanting to boycott Apple because their screens were spontaneously scratching without them knowing how it happened. Yet, the same phone I owned with the Max, I never used a screen protector or case of any type, and I never had any scratches whatsoever on my display, and I carry it in my pocket. I still have no scratches whatsoever on my display.

The only thing I can think of, are surface/hairline scratches into the actual Oleophobic coating, which is naturally organic and wears off over the course of time.

Reactions: Five_Oh

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
iPhones in stores are scratched up from all the abusive handling
But purchasing a good screen protector is a must! If you want to maintain a scratch free screen
If at any point the screen protector wears than it can be replaced cheaply

Reactions: Bethanie21

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Tempered glass screen protectors are so good now and so cheap (5 for 5 bucks?) that there is barely any reason not to put one on.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPhones in stores are scratched up from all the abusive handling

Keep in mind, those displays are intentionally scratched as well. It’s not even so much from people ‘handling them’, they’re abused on purpose.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
Keep in mind, those displays are intentionally scratched as well. It’s not even so much from people ‘handling them’, they’re abused on purpose.

How do store visitors scratch “the toughest glass on any smartphone” with their eyes and bare fingers, while being watched by staff?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How do store visitors scratch “the toughest glass on any smartphone” with their eyes and bare fingers, while being watched by staff?

Carrier model demo phones are not monitored by staff whatsoever. Those are completely free range for anybody use at any time without assistance. The toughest glass has nothing to do with someone trying to intentionally scratch a display with a sharp object. There’s a difference between every day encounters and then someone trying to purposely damage a display.

Reactions: Five_Oh

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I looked at several iPhone 11 Pro today in two shops (Premium resellers), and many of the iPhones I looked at had at least some small scratches. At first I thought the cover plastic is still on but they were the legit original iPhone 11 Pros. Scratches were very superficial, not deep, but definitely noticeable. Some look similar to just grease, but they are definitely permanent scratches. Staff was busy, so I just left, but a google search revealed that this might be an issue. Your experiences?

You looked at display models and wonder why they are scratched?

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
You looked at display models and wonder why they are scratched?

I don’t know what’s going on in your country, but here in Central Europe display models are presented in well lit places, on clean, not crowded tables, strapped and secured with a line, under camera surveillance and staff near by all the time. People either just look at them, or just briefly touching them respectfully and with care. Nobody is taking out screw drivers, keys, bags of sand, etc to work the models hard. Besides, all models are barely a week old.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Last year, there was an uproar of members basically wanting to boycott Apple because their screens were spontaneously scratching without them knowing how it happened. Yet, the same phone I owned with the Max, I never used a screen protector or case of any type, and I never had any scratches whatsoever on my display, and I carry it in my pocket. I still have no scratches whatsoever on my display.

The only thing I can think of, are surface/hairline scratches into the actual Oleophobic coating, which is naturally organic and wears off over the course of time.

The more I read, the more I think certain batches are susceptible to this. Didn't get my Xs Max until February. Got a replacement unit in April, battery is still @ 100 with zero screen scratches.

I think the longer you wait from launch day, the better your phone quality will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.