Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UrbanGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
My Pro Max held up fine so far. I literally just got around to getting a Zagg screen protector on it this weekend. I just wanted to be safe.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My Pro Max held up fine so far. I literally just got around to getting a Zagg screen protector on it this weekend. I just wanted to be safe.

Yeah, on a small sidenote: Zagg makes a nice screen protector, but their customer service is absolutely horrendous. And that’s not just my perspective, that’s been shared by many. But then again, it’s just a screen protector we’re talking about, not a brand new car or appliance.

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
How do store visitors scratch “the toughest glass on any smartphone” with their eyes and bare fingers, while being watched by staff?
I worked BOH and RedZone for Apple for 8 years at 3 different stores... nobody is watching anybody play with the devices, unless they’re being helped and want things demoed to them. Diamond rings, kids, etc all contribute to the abuse of the devices, especially the displays.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
I worked BOH and RedZone for Apple for 8 years at 3 different stores... nobody is watching anybody play with the devices, unless they’re being helped and want things demoed to them. Diamond rings, kids, etc all contribute to the abuse of the devices, especially the displays.

I heard that kids have very sharp teeth, and that they like to stick things in their mouths, therefore you certainly have a point there! I just wonder why the brand new iPhones 11 Pro were all scratched when literally on the next table, at the Samsung booth, none were scratched, and on the other side, the Huawei booth, also none were scratched. Maybe the diamond ring-ed ladies only have a go at iPhones?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Last year, there was an uproar of members basically wanting to boycott Apple because their screens were spontaneously scratching without them knowing how it happened. Yet, the same phone I owned with the Max, I never used a screen protector or case of any type, and I never had any scratches whatsoever on my display, and I carry it in my pocket. I still have no scratches whatsoever on my display.

The only thing I can think of, are surface/hairline scratches into the actual Oleophobic coating, which is naturally organic and wears off over the course of time.
What you mean the surface hairline scratches wears off over the course of time

• Haha
Reactions: Wide opeN

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Most of the hairline scratches are on the oleophobic coating. Overtime the coating does wear off, and then the hairline scratches disappear.
Ah. I see a small mark when looking under direct light. But when I run my finger I can’t feel anything. Must be in the coating.
I refuse to get a protector though.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Ah. I see a small mark when looking under direct light. But when I run my finger I can’t feel anything. Must be in the coating.
I refuse to get a protector though.
Yea if you run your finger and can't feel anything then it's likely a micro scratch on the coating. Once the coating wears off then those micro scratches will gradually disappear with it.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I figured it out! Glas is an amorphous solid, and the new iPhone 11 Pro screen especially behaves like a non-Newtonian substance. It is the Rheology branch of Physics that deals with the deformation and flow of matter, especially the non-conventional (non-Newtonian).

For example jelly gel (starch based) is hard and almost impenetrable when beaten hard and fast, but soft when light pressure is applied slowly.

Now, in product testing and QC, Apple suppliers focused mainly on one end of the spectrum, that is hard impact and pressure. However, maybe they did not test the soft end?

Lol because of iPhone people has acquired some deep science. ???

UrbanGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
Yeah, on a small sidenote: Zagg makes a nice screen protector, but their customer service is absolutely horrendous. And that’s not just my perspective, that’s been shared by many. But then again, it’s just a screen protector we’re talking about, not a brand new car or appliance.

there is a Zagg kiosk at a local mall. I have gone twice over the years to get the screen replaced and so far have not had a problem.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I had the  store install the screen saver before I ever left the store. Worked great on my Xs and suspect will work just as well on the 11P

Reactions: travelsheep

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I had the  store install the screen saver before I ever left the store. Worked great on my Xs and suspect will work just as well on the 11P
Why pay big bucks though when the diy kits couldn't be better or easier to install, or cheaper at 5$ for 5 protectors?

Reactions: Bethanie21

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I don’t know what’s going on in your country, but here in Central Europe display models are presented in well lit places, on clean, not crowded tables, strapped and secured with a line, under camera surveillance and staff near by all the time. People either just look at them, or just briefly touching them respectfully and with care. Nobody is taking out screw drivers, keys, bags of sand, etc to work the models hard. Besides, all models are barely a week old.

Im from the United States. Display models are in tons of hands. You think everyone is handling these phones with care?

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2013
Im from the United States. Display models are in tons of hands. You think everyone is handling these phones with care?

I heard that most everyone in the US has a gun, therefore they probably testing the phone screens with the muzzle... or at least a jack knife. I'm from Europe and we usually neither carry guns, nor knifes, nor forks, or any other tools that would be good to take them to the phones in an Apple store. We get a lot of news about stabbings and shootings in the US, therefore for what you write I guess a visit to an Apple store in the US is a lot rougher than in Europe. Nonetheless, I've seen brand new iPhones scratched, other brands that been longer on display were not. But maybe, to stay close to your reasoning, people are much more aggressive while looking at new Apple phones compared to when looking at Samsung or Huawei phones. I didn't think of that yet!

Jong875

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2015
My iPhone pro Max screen after less than 2 weeks. Quite horrendous. Worst I’ve seen on any iPhone and I’ve owned them all. My other 11 pro is also noticeably bad after 5 days of use

005778B9-42E4-445C-98D5-A9458B44AE7B.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My iPhone pro Max screen after less than 2 weeks. Quite horrendous. Worst I’ve seen on any iPhone and I’ve owned them all. My other 11 pro is also noticeably bad after 5 days of use

View attachment 867588

Your picture is a clear example that you mistreat your iPhones. I don’t use screen protectors of any sort or cases, my displays _never_ look like that. You obviously are carrying your phone in your pocket with other objects or something that is coming to contact to scratch display that looks like that.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
these scratch videos on YouTube are dumb. Cause even with keys you would get micro scratches in the front screen cause of the coating that you would see in certain light.
Yet they make it seem it doesn’t scratch. Unless they don’t consider that.

cause if grit and sand can scratch. Why can’t keys.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Talking about scratches....Some might get a kick out of this torture scratch test. By JerryRigEverything

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.