Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11, XR, and SE No Longer Come With EarPods and Power Adapter But USB-C to Lightning Cable Included

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
FYI:

You need to use a USB-C cable (provided) and a 20 watt USB-C compatible power supply (which came with your iPhone 11) to properly charge an iPhone 12.

The 5 watt USB-A legacy bricks do not provide enough power to charge an iPhone 12 that is switched on.
Is that from Apple’s website? If so interesting that they chose to remove the power adapter just as their phones were requiring a more expensive adapter. Saving the environment my you know what.

lkalliance

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2015
In that case, what's the point of having the new USB-C cable included, if the assumption is that I already have a charger?

If I have a charger, I probably already have a cable too.

So, they could've gone completely eco-friendly and not included the new cable - and then, down the line, I can get new charger and cable if/when needed.
I don't know for sure, but going by what Apple has said about the omission:

--Probably the omission of the charger allowed them to shrink the box, and the omission of the cable wouldn't allow them to shrink it still more, and...
--The suggestion is that we've all got several adapters and lightning cables by now, but few of us have any USB-C cables. I think the new iPads also use USB-C, do I have that right? So there is a growing list of Apple devices that will use these, so having a couple will be a benefit at some point; this is the start to that. Besides, if you want to upgrade to the 20W charger, you'll need the cable; that's one expense spared.

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
Stop drinking the Kool Aid, Apple waited to do this until they were sure it would lead to more profit. If you think anything Cook decides is based on any other reason then you are part of a cult.

Reactions: mgarc1125

DownUnderDan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
If Apple was concerned about the environment, they would make their phones easier to service and repair, with cheaper spare parts and user replaceable batteries and keep the same model in a simplified product lineup in production for several years. So can we please drop the complete nonsense that Apple is concerned about the environment. They clearly are not.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Whoa...wtf. I was fully on board with getting rid of charger because everybody and their mother and grandma have usb charging blocks....but to include a USB C to lightning which almost no one has and not include a charger is beyond stupid...
[automerge]1602622866[/automerge]
If Apple was concerned about the environment, they would make their phones easier to service and repair, with cheaper spare parts and user replaceable batteries and keep the same model in a simplified product lineup in production for several years. So can we please drop the complete nonsense that Apple is concerned about the environment. They clearly are not.

uh...lol ok

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
FYI:

You need to use a USB-C cable (provided) and a 20 watt USB-C compatible power supply (which came with your iPhone 11) to properly charge an iPhone 12.

The 5 watt USB-A legacy bricks do not provide enough power to charge an iPhone 12 that is switched on.
FYI:

not according to Apple. Sure if you want to fast charge you need a higher wattage supply.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2015
"..in order to save on packaging materials to reduce environmental impact"

Another way to reduce the environmental impact is to stop millions of previous-generations iPhones from being thrown into a land fill every year from Apple needing to feed their voracious corporate income monster with new phone models every 12 months.
I guess you haven’t heard of Apple’s recycling efforts, or their two robots who can dismantle and recycle iPhones..

Pyrhonen

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Good thing I bought an Apple 30w USB- C for $17.75 on Ebay a few months ago. I never liked or used the 5W.

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
I guess you haven’t heard of Apple’s recycling efforts, or their two robots who can dismantle and recycle iPhones..

LOL, I've heard of them. I've also heard of the tooth fairy.

• Haha
Reactions: AvisDeene

Bucksdoc

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Oh apple be honest about not including a charging brick- you’ve just saved yourselves a tonne of cash in shipping, not passed on your savings to the consumer. Saving the planet......yeah sure..! Apparently we all have a USB C charging brick at home....2 billion.....really? Most of us are going to need to throw our USB A chargers in the trash and buy a USB C power brick. The woman on the video had me cringing taking us for idiots with that cr4p!!

still gonna get one though...... 😄

Johnny Appleseed's Mom

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
Wait a minute.. So how will this work? Apple is still going to manufacture these devices but will now have to change the box? What about all of the boxes that are still unsold? They will all be the same price? So when the customer goes to the store to buy the 11, XR or SE, he just has to make sure to ask for the larger box with the free EarPods and charger block? Lol, I can imagine customers being ticked off if they get home with a new purchase only to realize they could have asked for the bigger box for the same price.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Wait a minute.. So how will this work? Apple is still going to manufacture these devices but will now have to change the box? What about all of the boxes that are still unsold? They will all be the same price? So when the customer goes to the store to buy the 11, XR or SE, he just has to make sure to ask for the larger box with the free EarPods and charger block? Lol, I can imagine customers being ticked off if they get home with a new purchase only to realize they could have asked for the bigger box for the same price.

I imagine they let the stock dwindle far enough that they can pull the remaining stock, ship back and rebox/resale the older stock...itself an environmental nightmare, but hey that’s not the real reason they are doing this, right? 🤷‍♂️

tseitz89

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
How can Apple be saying they are going “green” but not moving to USB-C port? Now I need a different cord for my iPad and my iPhone. 2 cords needed instead of 1.

Reactions: Act3

tongxinshe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
"..in order to save on packaging materials to reduce environmental impact"

Another way to reduce the environmental impact is to stop millions of previous-generations iPhones from being thrown into a land fill every year from Apple needing to feed their voracious corporate income monster with new phone models every 12 months.

Other phone companies introduce twice to dozens of times more new models than iPhone, go chase them!

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
Other phone companies introduce twice to dozens of times more new models than iPhone, go chase them!

Those other companies don't go around claiming to be saving the environment like Apple does. Nor do they pretend a cost-saving measure is an environmental one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That’s right! Where is the braided cable that was shown in leaks?!?

also, I know people are upset about USB C but we really do need to move towards it. Sometimes you’ve got to rip off the bandaid.
They could still have at least made the first year they do it more of a transitional one where they included an actual USB-C charger too. Even when they got rid of the headphone jack they not only still included updated headphones that would work with the Lightning connector, but even an adapter for other headphones.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
yet the just released iPads and iPad Airs are coming with usb-c chargers included. this Environmental reason is such a farce

mgarc1125

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
What a bunch of *********. Just when I was started to consider buying an iPhone SE, sucking up the lack of a headphone jack and dealing with stupid proprietary lightning headphones they run this crap. Screw that, sticking with my 6S even longer and will replace the old battery again by a non-apple shop.

Daum

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
Unecessary. MagSafe charging is clearly being set up as the replacement. Qi charging is universal across Android and iOS devices, more and more widespread in hotels and coffee shops and iPhone 12‘s wireless charging has been bumped up to 15W, three times faster than the power cubes that iPhones have always shipped with.
That's great if you want to wait 46 hrs for your phone to charge up. Even though the iPhone 12 supports 15w wireless doesn't mean the chargers themselves are able to. Hell even if the chargers were able to the iphone will only charge at 7.5w max unless you get the new charging puck from apple which isn't even released yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.