Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook was today asked about iPhone 12 sales and which iPhones were the most popular with consumers during the quarter. He confirmed that the iPhone 12 was the most popular, and sales of the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max were also strong, but there was no mention of iPhone 12 mini sales.

iphone12-lineup-wide.jpg

iPhone 12, of the family, it's the most popular. We saw very strong sales of the Pro and Pro Max, and the revenue that you're seeing is a function of unit growth and revenue per unit growth.
There have been multiple reports suggesting that the iPhone 12 mini has not been as popular with consumers as expected, and Tim Cook's commentary seemingly confirms that it is the least popular of the four iPhone 12 models that Apple has released.

Apple is still planning on an iPhone 13 mini that will be released in 2021, but rumors from Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggest the 5.4-inch device will be discontinued in 2022.

Article Link: iPhone 12 is Most Popular Model in Flagship Lineup, Apple Also Seeing Strong Sales of Pro and Pro Max

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I'm not sure anyone was anticipating the mini being one of the best selling. But, it is an essential model/form-factor in the lineup. If Apple ends up getting rid of it, I'll chalk that up as one of Apple's top 5 blunders. (It is as essential to the iPhone lineup as the Mac Pro is to the Mac lineup. Quantities, even profits, are irrelevant. It just needs to be there.)

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
This headline is just another way to say the mini didn’t sell compared to all three of its siblings

shame really, years and years I said I would love a small phone with minimal compromises and would jump on it in a heartbeat.

But when the time actually came, I still went with the pro. as much as I fantasize about the mini form factor and easy one handed use, minimal pocket real-estate, the way I use my phone has drastically changed since then. I watch way more video/social media, tons more photography, and type way more with two thumbs that I’m now realizing the big screen is necessary. That along with battery life concerns.

All that said I do wish the pro came in aluminum - the extra weight over the regular is not worth the shiny, but I can’t give up that telephoto lens. The brighter screen is nice too.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm not sure anyone was anticipating the mini being one of the best selling. But, it is an essential model/form-factor in the lineup. If Apple ends up getting rid of it, I'll chalk that up as one of Apple's top 5 blunders. (It is as essential to the iPhone lineup as the Mac Pro is to the Mac lineup. Quantities, even profits, are irrelevant. It just needs to be there.)

Why?

One can argue that the Mac Pro is important because there are people who use it to develop for the rest of the Apple ecosystem. So there is strategic value in supporting that 1% of Mac Pro users so they can in term benefit the other 99% of Apple users.

What’s the value add of the iPhone mini to other Apple users?

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I’ve owned them all and the 12 mini is, by far, my most favorite iPhone. Also, it is the phone that optimally works with the MagSafe wallet in terms of fit and function. Don’t see myself ditching this combo for the next few years.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Apple can always replace the mini with another iPhone 5G in the $699 slot. That seems to be what they're doing in 2022 when component prices are lower: offer two mainstream and two premium options with 6.1" and 6.7".

The $699 slot really serves as a price gateway to iPhone 5G rather than a size preference. On the other hand, the Mac Pro is needed to create heavy content for the entire Apple ecosystem.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
It's a shame that Apple didn't announce that the 12 mini was the 8th highest selling smartphone in the world, then MR could have used the headline they surely have cached: "Apple confirms 12 mini sucks".
We don't know the incentive situation for it to be the 8th highest selling smartphone. They'd sell everything they'd plan to make, but if it's underperforming and requires higher incentives to move, the sales volume rank alone isn't an indicator of performance.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
In a non-pandemic year, I think the mini would be selling much better. But since a lot of us are still home, a bigger screen to enjoy content makes the most sense.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In a non-pandemic year, I think the mini would be selling much better. But since a lot of us are still home, a bigger screen to enjoy content makes the most sense.

Big screens were growing even pre-pandemic. The Xs Max was launched in 2018.

If anything, the pandemic favored small screens for those at home with iPad and MacBook. Once the pandemic subsides, the big screens will be even more popular for consumers on the road.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Why?

One can argue that the Mac Pro is important because there are people who use it to develop for the rest of the Apple ecosystem. So there is strategic value in supporting that 1% of Mac Pro users so they can in term benefit the other 99% of Apple users.

What’s the value add of the iPhone mini to other Apple users?
Well it provides more choice/options for those that prefer a compact iphone with all the premium features from the rest of the 12 range. Choice is good, very good, and millions of us 12 mini owners absolutely love our phone with enough sales to make it the 8th highest selling phone worldwide in January. Apologies in advance though that it does not fit into the current mainstream ‘phablet’ trend!

Reactions: bill38

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
We don't know the incentive situation for it to be the 8th highest selling smartphone. They'd sell everything they'd plan to make, but if it's underperforming and requires higher incentives to move, the sales volume rank alone isn't an indicator of performance.

Been seeing a lot of Minis on sale? I’d have thought that would be advertised prominently on this site.

I still think LG would have been satisfied with #8, incentives or no.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm not surprised that the 12 is the most popular of the 4 phones. The Pro and Pro Max definitely cater more to the enthusiast crowd. I am surprise that the Mini continues to receive so much negative press since it is still in the top 10 for all cell phones.

Apple revolutionized the smartphone industry and is the benchmark that everyone compares themselves against. The iPhone isn't just any smartphone. So for a newly launched mini to sit at #8 or #10, is pretty embarassing.

phr0z3n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Wichita, KS
It’s funny how you can have your own small bubble… most people I know opt for the larger screen, but alas it seems the 12 mini is very popular with the MR crowd here, and it’s still top 10 in the world.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.