Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
The $749 - $699 category has traditionally been very successful for Apple. The iPhone 12 mini, given the $699 price, should be performing close to the $799 iPhone 12. I would have expected it to rank #5 or #6. But it falls in at #8, and the data is for January 2021, which means only 3 months since launch. Given the context of it being a brand new phone with a new form factor, and 5G, that's a pretty poor showing. Keep in the mind the competitors are 6 month old 4G devices with MediaTek and LCD.
Right now it gives Apple an opportunity to upsell you to the mainstream 12 which is $100 more than its predecessor. Let’s say rumors prove true and mini is removed from the fall lineup in 2022. I would bet the form factor returns Spring 2023 as a new SE at a lower price.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Jpack, it’s clear to everyone that you just don’t like the 12 mini and you want it erased from existence for some reason. At least give the 12 mini some credit in that as a non mainstream ‘niche’ product, it has still managed to make the top ten in terms of sales. Calling the phones sales as embarrassing in this context is quite harsh you have to admit.

I believe the mini is selling very poorly based on Apple standards. It's priced as a mainstream product, but performs like a niche product in sales volume. What other Apple product is like that?

Why do consumers pay $399 for iPhone SE with huge bezels and a 4.7" display? They could pay half the price for a similar Xiaomi device with 6.1" OLED and triple camera. Because consumers are willing accept big trade offs for other iPhone features. That same idea carries over to iPhone 12 mini.

I think it's a mistake to lower the sales expecations by calling the mini a "non-mainstream niche" product when it was launched right alongside other iPhone 12 devices at $699. Apple has basically defined the smartphone for the past decade and your expectations should be much higher.

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
I believe the mini is selling very poorly based on Apple standards. It's priced as a mainstream product, but performs like a niche product in sales volume. What other Apple product is like that?

Why do consumers pay $399 for iPhone SE with huge bezels and a 4.7" display? They could pay half the price for a similar Xiaomi device with 6.1" OLED and triple camera. Because consumers are willing accept big trade offs for other iPhone features. That same idea carries over to iPhone 12 mini.

I think it's a mistake to lower the sales expecations by calling the mini a "non-mainstream niche" product when it was launched right alongside other iPhone 12 devices at $699. Apple has basically defined the smartphone for the past decade and your expectations should be much higher.
Would you just shut up and enjoy your big phone.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Right now it gives Apple an opportunity to upsell you to the mainstream 12 which is $100 more than its predecessor. Let’s say rumors prove true and mini is removed from the fall lineup in 2022. I would bet the form factor returns Spring 2023 as a new SE at a lower price.

That's a possibility, but I suspect the high cost associated with a notch cut, flexible OLED, and stacked logic board make it too expensive for an SE, even in 2023.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Love my 12, and will keep it until the rumoured 2022 non pro 6.7 inch model (assuming it comes to fruition).

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
The $749 - $699 category has traditionally been very successful for Apple. The iPhone 12 mini, given the $699 price, should be performing close to the $799 iPhone 12. I would have expected it to rank #5 or #6. But it falls in at #8, and the data is for January 2021, which means only 3 months since launch. Given the context of it being a brand new phone with a new form factor, and 5G, that's a pretty poor showing. Keep in the mind the competitors are 6 month old 4G devices with MediaTek and LCD.
Fair enough. On the other hand, maybe when the SE got replaced, many 'small phone people' gave up and bought the bigger new SE (or some other model)? It is too soon for them to buy again, in those cases. But...
... I think it's a mistake to lower the sales expecations by calling the mini a "non-mainstream niche" product when it was launched right alongside other iPhone 12 devices at $699. ...
But it *is* a rather niche product. I'll fully admit most people want bigger screens. Most people also seem to want SUV/crossovers. That's OK, let them buy those and be happy with them. But, people also seem to want really big phones, as well as those of us who want small ones. Just like some people buy sport cars or pickup trucks.

And, I guess my guidance on this to Apple would be, that if a car maker stops making sport cars and pickup trucks, and only makes SUVs, I doubt those sport-car-people and pickup-truck-people will just go, "Oh well, I guess I need to become a SUV person." They'll more likely find some other car-maker that still has some common sense.

Reactions: snipr125

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Hey yo, screw Apple if they discontinue the iPhone Mini. Best damn iPhone I've owned in almost a decade.
Yes agreed. I quite like my Mini even tho I'm mostly an Android guy, I just get bored on one platform and switch back n forth like an idiot. I have trained most of my frequent contacts to use Whatsapp so it's not a hassle to switch platforms. My daughter has an iphone and an android tablet, and I must say it's easier to keep an eye on her use with iOS not because of the awful iOS Family Share (that hides all her apps as soon as I turn it on), but because Google was smart enough to add their Family Link to iOS, so I can monitor both devices on one iphone. Can't do that on my Pixel, but the Pixel eats iphone cams for breakfast, and it's a 3 year old sensor!

Sorry for the tangent...Mini is a nice unit ;)

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.