Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Besides Apple's first-party MagSafe cases, there are a few options for third-party cases that include magnets within each case that are built to align directly with iPhone 12 devices. An iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro placed within one of these cases can then connect to additional MagSafe accessories, like Apple's MagSafe Charger.

magsafe-arrival-feature.jpg

Of course, an iPhone 12 within a thin enough case that lacks magnets will be able to attach to other MagSafe accessories as well. For this reason, there aren't many companies who have released iPhone 12 cases specifically with magnets inside for MagSafe, but below we've rounded up a few options from some of the best third-party companies online.

magsafe-cases.jpg

The difference in construction on the cases should be noted as well. Nomad and Moment, for example, have built magnets directly into the backs of each case, similar in style to Apple. Otterbox, on the other hand, places an adhesive sticker inside its cases that acts as the "MagSafe" portion of the accessory. Although they function the same, this design is worth noting. You can see the adhesive strip in more detail in the Otterbox case in our video on the MagSafe Charger.

Nomad

Nomad is the company with the most recent launch for set of MagSafe compatible iPhone cases. It's selling versions of its existing "Rugged" branded cases, now all with MagSafe included in every case.

iphone-12-magsafe-nomad.jpg

The new cases are available for all four iPhone 12 models, and include brown, black, and natural color variants. There's also two case styles: the Rugged Leather case or the Rugged Folio.

Rugged Leather cases range in price from $49.95 to $59.95, while the Rugged Folio ranges in price from $69.95 to $79.95. You can find all of the Nomad cases for purchase on the company's website.

Otterbox

Otterbox has a few iPhone cases with MagSafe, including the slimmer Symmetry Series+ line and the tough Defender Series Pro XT case. This week, when you purchase an iPhone case you can save ten percent by bundling in a screen protector.

otterbox-magsafe.jpg

Sandmarc

Sandmarc's cases easily attach to the company's line of lenses and filters, and are priced at $49.99 in brown and black color options. They're only available for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Pad & Quill

Pad & Quill's line of MagSafe cases include one option made of leather and one made of wood. The Traveler LeatherSafe ‌iPhone 12‌ case is made from artisan leather with a built-in magnetic ring and a secure tension fit that shapes to the ‌iPhone 12‌.

pad-and-quill-magsafe-traveler.jpg

It features two-meter drop protection and the design leaves ports and cameras accessible. The volume buttons are functional and accessible through the leather. The Traveler Case is priced from $59.95 to $69.95 and is available for the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max.

pad-and-quill-magsafe-woodline.jpg

The Woodline Edition ‌iPhone 12‌ Cases are made from a single piece of walnut or cherry hardwood and have a built-in magnet hidden in the wood case to make them compatible with Apple's MagSafe charger and accessories. The Woodline Case is priced at $49.95 and is available for the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max.

Moment

At Moment, you can pre-order a wide selection of iPhone MagSafe cases, with shipping estimates ranging from next week to March. Moment's cases have a built-in magnet array that's compatible with MagSafe.

moment-magsafe.jpg

Additionally, they're built for Moment's line of iPhone photography accessories. Each case has a wrist strap connection on the bottom and includes a drop-in lens mount in order to make them compatible with any M-Series mobile lens sold by Moment.

These cases are available for all iPhone 12 models, and each one is priced at $49.99. There are different styles, from a soft-to-touch thin case to a wood-paneled walnut case. Moment also sells a line of MagSafe accessories like a tripod mount and multi-threaded mount.

The full collection of Moment's MagSafe lineup, including mounts and cases, can be found on the company's website.

Cyrill

Cyrill has a few MagSafe iPhone 12 cases priced at $29.99, with designs including semi-transparent cases and premium vegan leather. Be sure to click on the cases that say "MagSafe Supported" to see the Cyrill cases with magnets built into them.

Casely

Casely has the most colorful collection of MagSafe cases for the iPhone 12, with the "bold" line of cases including designs like tie-dye, rainbows, florals, polka dot, animal prints, and more. When shopping for these cases, be sure to select an iPhone 12 model and the "Bold + MagSafe" option under "select a case type."

casely-magsafe.jpg

These cases include a built-in magnet that is compatible with Apple's MagSafe accessories. Currently, you can also save 40 percent on the cases by entering the code CAKE at the checkout screen, and Casely offers free shipping in the United States on orders over $20.

SwitchEasy

Lastly, SwitchEasy has a line of "MagEasy" iPhone 12 cases with built-in magnets and compatibility with Apple's MagSafe accessories. You can purchase a MagClear Case ($24.99), MagSkin Case ($29.99), and MagCrush Case ($24.99).

Buyer's Guide

Read our iPhone 12 Cases Buyer's Guide for more information on some of the best cases available for the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: iPhone 12 MagSafe Cases Expanding to Include More Third-Party Companies Like Nomad and Casely

Last edited:

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Don't sleep on the Moment cases.

From experience with their prior cases, they were some of the nicest in hand, and most well made that I've had.

An added feature that you wouldn't think of but was a huge quality of life improvement, was that the bottom lip was almost level with the screen (with a screen protector on), making gestures super easy to do.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Bought a clear mous case for my 12 pro last week - it’s MagSafe, fits perfectly, feels premium. Cost a lot but I really like it.

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Extra... Extra... Apple has found a way to make cases expensive again. I’ll be honest I bought an Apple official case, and absolutely love MagSafe. 100 extra bucks for the case and charger... and if you don’t have a direct to USB-C charger add another 30. My point is... I hate that I’m spending all this money, but i completely understand it because i love what it does. That said my iPhone 12 Pro went from 1000 to 1100 out of the box.

dylanwho

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
LA/PDX
Still waiting for wireless charging to be restored to my iPhone 12 Pro. No qi, no MagSafe, nothing works.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
I honestly don't understand the appeal of MagSafe.

I'm using a very nice Spigen case for my iPhone 12 Pro that cost around $12, as well as a no-name Qi charger I bought a year ago (when I was using a Samsung phone) on Amazon for about the same amount.

One-handed pickup/dropoff, clean setup, no fuss, quick-charging, and inexpensive.

inigou

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Will all those cases get the imprint of the MagSafe charger? If so, what a mess...

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Extra... Extra... Apple has found a way to make cases expensive again. I’ll be honest I bought an Apple official case, and absolutely love MagSafe. 100 extra bucks for the case and charger... and if you don’t have a direct to USB-C charger add another 30. My point is... I hate that I’m spending all this money, but i completely understand it because i love what it does. That said my iPhone 12 Pro went from 1000 to 1100 out of the box.

had apple included the charger with the iPhone, the price of the phone would have gone up, forcing everyone to pay for a charger that they probably don't need or denying everyone the choice of buying a cheaper charger.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Taobao / Aliexpress sellers are already selling high quality MagSafe cases at US$6.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
As noted by others above, plenty of no-name cases with MagSafe-compatible magnets inside that have been out for a while and are far cheaper.

To those asking “why MagSafe?”, because it’s brilliant. I’ve put some affordable MagSafe compatible wireless chargers in my cars, and using the Apple MagSafe wallet. Love all of them, so handy and work brilliantly.

The magnetic mounts in the cars work way better than the previous case plus metal plates that I used with older iPhones, and don’t interfere with wireless charging (well, most of my other wireless chargers anyway).

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Why doesn't one of these third party vendors make "MagSafe" cases for everything? In theory it just aligns the wireless charging coil with the apple charger and allow for "MagSafe" accessories to attach.
I’ve thought that too. They don’t have to brand in MagSafe, but everyone will know what it is.

Would love to get a MagSafe-compatible case for my wife’s iPhone XS.

MareLuce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010

I'm using a very nice Spigen case for my iPhone 12 Pro that cost around $12, as well as a no-name Qi charger I bought a year ago (when I was using a Samsung phone) on Amazon for about the same amount.

One-handed pickup/dropoff, clean setup, no fuss, quick-charging, and inexpensive.
Does that fulfill what I’m looking for:
a small wireless magnetic power bank that I can easily put on the back of my phone to top off the battery during a long travel day?

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Too bad that isn’t always the case with 3rd party chargers. Many times they can just stop working or any movement in the night and it won’t charge. You don’t get that with MagSafe. You know as soon as its on there it is alligned.

This is why it’s better than regular wireless charging.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Don't sleep on the Moment cases.

From experience with their prior cases, they were some of the nicest in hand, and most well made that I've had.

An added feature that you wouldn't think of but was a huge quality of life improvement, was that the bottom lip was almost level with the screen (with a screen protector on), making gestures super easy to do.
I have a moment case and I've only now realized why I like it so much. The bottom lip makes it so much easier to swipe up even though I hadn't noticed it was even different from the other edges.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
Does that fulfill what I’m looking for:
a small wireless magnetic power bank that I can easily put on the back of my phone to top off the battery during a long travel day?
If you like it, you like it, but in that scenario I don't see that as more advantageous than plugging in.

The puck is bigger too, adding to the carry-on bulk.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
Too bad that isn’t always the case with 3rd party chargers. Many times they can just stop working or any movement in the night and it won’t charge. You don’t get that with MagSafe. You know as soon as its on there it is alligned.

This is why it’s better than regular wireless charging.
I've never had that problem.

I've been using Qi chargers since before the iPhone had the ability, and I keep my device on my nightstand. And I'm happily married. No amount of rockin' has ever knocked it off. ;)

The issue of alignment is mitigated by the sound chime of connection and the fact that it's obvious when the phone is not right on the stand: it'll fall or you see the back of the charger. Also chargers usually have some kind of light indicator.

I just don't see how having to rip something on and off the phone, or needing two hands is better than just pickup/drop.

EDIT: My objection is to the wired, puck-style charger. Magnetic stands are pretty cool, but still not worth the added expense other than the cool factor of seeing your device "float". This is relative to the individual though.

mikedude86

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Lol Did the same thing, it’s all real nice quality stuff, but my wallet definitely hates me.

MareLuce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
If you like it, you like it, but in that scenario I don't see that as more advantageous than plugging in.
Visualize - When I'm traveling, I'm moving between cars, planes, subways.

How is needing to have it plugged in not tons more inconvenient than a puck on the back that lets me use it like a real phone?

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
Visualize - When I'm traveling, I'm moving between cars, planes, subways.

How is needing to have it plugged in not tons more inconvenient than a puck on the back that lets me use it like a real phone?
I don't understand your scenario.

You're plugged in (or pucked-in) in a car, plane, and subway? And when pucked-in, you find that more convenient than Lightning?

The puck is MUCH bigger than the Lightning end of a cable, and equal to or maybe even less intrusive when holding the device while in use...

IssuesGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2019
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.