Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Models Use Qualcomm's X55 Modem

Homme

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Sure wish the SE would had Qualcomm instead of Intel, so my times I have put into airplane mode to bring it back to life😂

I rarely had to use aeroplane mode for my SE 2020 unlike the XR where it had a far more inferior Modem than SE 2020

Excited for WWDC 2021/22 when Apple announces their own 5nm modem.

Nah, there's a reason why Apple signed a 6 year supply agreement with Qualcomm, with the option to extend.

indeed. Apple won’t be revealing they’re modem for a couple of years, not 2021/2022. It takes years of work (even with them buying intels modem business, just that makes it better in general)

Thank goodness. The intel modem on my 2020 SE is 🤬 (and I enjoy the 2020 SE, though I am finding that modem/connectivity and the camera to be lacking).

it’s not that crap compared to other Intel modems I’ve used

Comment

smulji

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
It will be at an iPhone Announcement event since it is an iPhone component.
iPads and Watches use cellular (currently LTE) modems as well. Nothing stopping Apple from debuting their in-house on iPads or Watches first then slowly transition to iPhones as bugs are ironed out and supply ramps up.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
It was a 6-year LICENSING agreement

To me, the "multi-year supply" agreement suggests even longer than 6.

1603311554051.png

Comment

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
it’s not that crap compared to other Intel modems I’ve used

It wasn't bad until a Verizon tech did something to our service over a month ago (which they will not acknowledge). Now it's worse than my 8+ was.

Shame really. I truly enjoy the SE outside of that and the camera (Which I didn't care about at launch, but I do now that I am actually trying to use the camera for photos and video).

Reactions: Homme
Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
anyone wondering how they partially offset the $4.5 Bilion dollar settlement to Qualcomm need only look inside their new iPhone box and note what's not inside

There are plenty of Qualcomm X52 smartphones under $300. I wouldn't blame Qualcomm for the price increases this year.

Reactions: PC_tech
Comment

miflgr92

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2018
Sure wish the SE would had Qualcomm instead of Intel, so my times I have put into airplane mode to bring it back to life😂

Thank goodness. The intel modem on my 2020 SE is 🤬 (and I enjoy the 2020 SE, though I am finding that modem/connectivity and the camera to be lacking).

My 2020 SE is terrible at keeping signal. I moved shortly after purchasing it and just figured AT&T wasn't great in my new area. Also disappointed in the camera. I came from an 8+ and to me, that took better pictures. Luckily I am picking up a 12 Pro on Friday morning. Very excited about the camera improvements and now after reading your comments, looking forward to hopefully having better signal.

Comment

MartyvH

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
Are we eyeballing the US$100 modem that led to Apple's cost cutting of things like the earphones and charger?

Reactions: Lerenard3000
Comment

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
This is honestly the biggest reason to upgrade from my XS. My job takes me to remote edges of cellular service and the difference between Qualcomm phones (i.e. Android) and iPhones reception is significant. Like being able to actually use your device vs not. Still I might just hang on to the XS another year and wait for the next iteration of iPhones with the x60.

Comment

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
My 2020 SE is terrible at keeping signal. I moved shortly after purchasing it and just figured AT&T wasn't great in my new area. Also disappointed in the camera. I came from an 8+ and to me, that took better pictures. Luckily I am picking up a 12 Pro on Friday morning. Very excited about the camera improvements and now after reading your comments, looking forward to hopefully having better signal.

My XR was better than SE..I just traveled 7 states and I know I had to put airplane mode on and off also stuff on 3G areas to where my OP 7T was LTE...

Comment

kalafalas

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
California
I wonder if the pro model uses the 60, and that explains the battery draw differences with a rumored same battery capacity as the 12

Comment

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
My Intel equipped iPhone XS disagrees with some moaners above, it does it's job well, has been proven to be near to Qualcomm, the problem is the bad networks in the States, we have no such problems here.
My XsMax disagrees with your assessment. This thing has sucked balls since Day1. You know how many times I have had to toggle Airplane mode to get connections back? I actually already did it once this morning. The reason I'm upgrading this year is SPECIFICALLY due to the crappy Intel modem. Good riddance to this garbage.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.