Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Models Use Qualcomm's X55 Modem

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
The X55 is 1.5 year old garbage. Pretty pathetic to put these crappy modems in $1,000+ phones. 5G draws way too much power as it is, but if you rely on outdated tech like this it's even worse.
Apple never ceases to disgust me!

That's not true. The X55 is the newest Qualcomm modem available, and is the best performing 5G platform in the world by a wide margin. No smartphone manufacturer has shipped a product with the X60 yet. These have a much longer lifecycle than the CPU.

Comment

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
My Intel equipped iPhone XS disagrees with some moaners above, it does it's job well, has been proven to be near to Qualcomm, the problem is the bad networks in the States, we have no such problems here.

Intel modems work well but they're just an inferior product compared to Qualcomm.

Comment

the future

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2002
That's not true. The X55 is the newest Qualcomm modem available, and is the best performing 5G platform in the world by a wide margin. No smartphone manufacturer has shipped a product with the X60 yet. These have a much longer lifecycle than the CPU.

Also, for an iPhone launch Apple needs insane amounts of components. They need to be 100% sure, many months ahead, that the supplier(s) will be able to deliver them. That alone made the X60 a no-go for this year.

Comment

currocj

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Yes! The Intel in my iPhone XS is killin me. My iPhone 7 Plus sim free with its Qualcomm chip was way more stable for signal integrity.
Can’t wait for 11/6 and 11/13 when I order 2x iPhone minis!

Reactions: Premium1
Comment

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
X55 comes as no surprise. DigiTimes claim of X60 was just wishful thinking, that actually contradicted Qualcomm itself (which stated 2021 for X60 phones).

BTW, this $4.5 billion deal to get Qualcomm back into iPhones was accompanied a very contrite press release from Apple too. :oops:

San Diego and Cupertino, California — Qualcomm and Apple today announced an agreement to dismiss all litigation between the two companies worldwide. The settlement includes a payment from Apple to Qualcomm. The companies also have reached a six-year license agreement, effective as of April 1, 2019, including a two-year option to extend, and a multiyear chipset supply agreement.

I have never seen this type of statement in any Apple press release before that or since.

Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
And yet, Apple agreed to the terms, time to move on :rolleyes:
And developers have agreed to the App Store terms.
Time to move on, right? :rolleyes:

Odd that you attack Apple when it comes down to their terms, but when it's not Apple's terms, you're saying Apple should move on.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
San Diego and Cupertino, California — Qualcomm and Apple today announced an agreement to dismiss all litigation between the two companies worldwide. The settlement includes a payment from Apple to Qualcomm. The companies also have reached a six-year license agreement, effective as of April 1, 2019, including a two-year option to extend, and a multiyear chipset supply agreement.

I have never seen this type of statement in any Apple press release before that or since.

The fact Apple's press release didn't quote any Tim Cook or Jeff Williams with a positive spin or platitude suggests they were under the gun. It was either Qualcomm or the highway.

Reactions: MartyvH and EugW
Comment

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Carrier, antenna, and modem improvements lead to higher speeds.

View attachment 970595
Thank you. Do you happen to know if any tests other than this picture? Or where the picture came from? My service at work is horrendous, so I’m praying that the new modem helps me out. All I can find when I search for cellular signal is reviews talking about 5G. Wish some reviewers would do more tests like the person in your picture...

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Thank you. Do you happen to know if any tests other than this picture? Or where the picture came from? My service at work is horrendous, so I’m praying that the new modem helps me out. All I can find when I search for cellular signal is reviews talking about 5G. Wish some reviewers would do more tests like the person in your picture...

The reviewer used the iPhone 12 in places with the worst signal in Guangzhou's business district (mall, underground, inside the subway). He used 30 points of comparison. The results show the iPhone 12 is typically faster by 1-2Mbps than iPhone 11 Pro. The results were done using a 4G SIM card.

Comment

HarryWild

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2012
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...5g-smartphones-what-difference-x55-modems.htm

“The X60 is a subtle leap from the X55 as it promises tons of systems upgrade that will improve its integration with future smartphones. The predecessors X50 and X55 brought the world its first look at better carrier connectivity with the first-generation 5G technology for the whole world...

The X60 brings improvement to a smartphone's better battery life, connection speeds, and overall performance. Qualcomm boasts of the new sub-6GHz and mmWave aggregation that is purposely combined to give a more reliable connection speed using the 5G.

Additionally, the 5nm processing node packs higher power efficiency while having a smaller footprint on the technology. The sub-carrier aggregation of the 6GHz configuration also helps networks "maximize their spectrum resources" for coverage and peak speeds.

The 5G SA connections that would be compatible with Qualcomm's X60 also helps networks to double peak speeds, something that the X55 did not have during its release. Moreover, X60's antenna module, QTM535, would be smaller than the past versions to offer a "sleek" mmWave smartphone design.”

Reactions: liberte1776
Comment

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68040
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I don’t care what generation of modem it have, as long as it’s Qualcomm and not Intel. The Intel modem on my XS Max sucks. I can’t keep a WiFi signal to save me life. Even on Verizon, my service is not where it should be at.

Reactions: Premium1
Comment

Darth Jeevster

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2015
Glad to see its only Qualcomm and not split with a different inferior model.
Yep but this is also the reason why the iphone 12 will not work on 5G in dual sim mode..... it’s an issue with the Qualcomm chipset rather than an issue with Apple

Comment

PC_tech

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
And developers have agreed to the App Store terms.
Time to move on, right? :rolleyes:

Odd that you attack Apple when it comes down to their terms, but when it's not Apple's terms, you're saying Apple should move on.
I barely post so your assumptions that I attack Apple are ridiculous but keep up that defense like they care about you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comment

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...5g-smartphones-what-difference-x55-modems.htm

“The X60 is a subtle leap from the X55 as it promises tons of systems upgrade that will improve its integration with future smartphones. The predecessors X50 and X55 brought the world its first look at better carrier connectivity with the first-generation 5G technology for the whole world...

The X60 brings improvement to a smartphone's better battery life, connection speeds, and overall performance. Qualcomm boasts of the new sub-6GHz and mmWave aggregation that is purposely combined to give a more reliable connection speed using the 5G.

Additionally, the 5nm processing node packs higher power efficiency while having a smaller footprint on the technology. The sub-carrier aggregation of the 6GHz configuration also helps networks "maximize their spectrum resources" for coverage and peak speeds.

The 5G SA connections that would be compatible with Qualcomm's X60 also helps networks to double peak speeds, something that the X55 did not have during its release. Moreover, X60's antenna module, QTM535, would be smaller than the past versions to offer a "sleek" mmWave smartphone design.”
I think that people holding out for next years x60 prob need to be aware that 5G will keep on improving year on year for quite a few years yet . The x55 is a great modem and in 3 years time which is when I will next upgrade I hope an even better x70 will be out

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.