Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 12 Pro models feature a new LiDAR Scanner for enhanced augmented reality experiences, but the sensor also enables another unique feature: the ability to measure a person's height instantly using the Measure app. You can even measure the seated height of a person in a chair, according to Apple.

iphone-12-pro-measure-persons-height-app.jpg

When the Measure app detects a person in the viewfinder, it automatically measures their height from the ground to the top of their head, hat, or hair.

To measure a person's height, open the Measure app and position the iPhone so that the person you want to measure appears on the screen from head to toe. After a brief moment, a line will appear at the top of the person's head with their height measurement, which appears in either feet and inches or in centimeters depending on whether imperial or metric is selected under Settings > Measure > Measure Units.

The circular shutter button in the bottom-right corner allows you to take a photo of the person with their height measurement and share it with them.

This feature is limited to devices with a LiDAR Scanner, including 2020 iPad Pro models and the upcoming iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Pro Allows You to Measure Someone's Height Instantly Using LiDAR Scanner

Last edited:

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
Just what I needed.
Likely the inaccuracy is +- 1 inch at best. I've never read anywhere that the measure app is accurate. But maybe the LIDAR scanner has improved on that.

I hope it's better than that. This has tremendous application for construction measurement. If LIDAR is going to be used for 3D mapping for VR, then it should be better I would think.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Hmm well apparently I’m only 171cm! (Actually 183). Maybe standing the phone up and walking away to record your own height isn’t the best way? Will have to get someone else to try it!

• Wow
Reactions: SqlInjection

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Perfect to measure kids ?
[automerge]1603565209[/automerge]
Hmm well apparently I’m only 171cm! (Actually 183). Maybe standing the phone up and walking away to record your own height isn’t the best way? Will have to get someone else to try it!
Interesting, maybe not so much
Anyway I didn't know it could measure but now I'm trying to forget it..

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
As somebody who owns an iPad Pro 2020 with a LiDAR, I can tell you it’s hideously inaccurate. Every measurement I’ve ever tried is anywhere between 2-10cm off which just isn’t good enough. It’s a gimmick at best but don’t rely on it.
[automerge]1603565260[/automerge]
wonder if ipad pro 2020 can do the same

It can and it’s not good.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Did several measurements with the people in the house and it was pretty accurate. Very cool but not sure it’s super useful.

Reactions: matrix07

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Quite useful when someone has to post their accurate height in match making potals if they have lost their measuring tapes at home!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.