Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro vs. iPhone 12 Pro Max Buyer's Guide

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2014
I'm going from an X to a plain-Jane 12. Like it or not, we'll be living the mask life next Fall (at least, in the USA), and Apple will most certainly add the TouchID sensor to the sleep/wake button on the next iPhone... so I might do a quick turn around in 11 months.
Touch ID on power button + 120 screen on the pro sounds like music to my ears.
Lets hope so for 2021 iPhones!

Comment

jeffu

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Just wanting to be clear - is the larger sensor only on the Wide lens? So the extra light is only really available on the UW lens on the 12 Pro Max? Still trying to decide, but part of the decision is sort out what would be nice to have vs. what I would actually use vs. marketing hype :)

Comment

hifimacianer

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2015
Germany
Yes, the bigger sensor is on the wide lens (normal lens). The Ultra Wide and the tele have the same „old“ sensor.

But the 12pro (non max) also has a better OIS and a faster lens than the 11pro. So low light performance will also improve with the 12pro, compared to the 11pro.

Not even talking about better image processor, and LiDAR, for low light portraits, night mode with all lenses etc.

Comment

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I‘m not willing to buy the 12 pro Max, just to get the best camera. I prefer the better form factor of the 12 pro.
The 12pro is also a step forward compared to the 11pro.

Night Mode and Deep Fusion on all cameras. Better wide lens, 5 times better OIS, and better image processing. Better portrait mode even in dark environment is also a plus.
So I go for this, and wait until the bigger sensor will come to the 13pro next year.

A step back in battery life though

I think that might push some people towards the 12 pro max. I too prefer the form factor of the smaller phone but compromising on battery life even if its only a small amount is not attractive when getting a new phone

Comment

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Just wanting to be clear - is the larger sensor only on the Wide lens? So the extra light is only really available on the UW lens on the 12 Pro Max? Still trying to decide, but part of the decision is sort out what would be nice to have vs. what I would actually use vs. marketing hype :)

There are some good videos on YouTube by some pro photohraphers and the consensus seems to be its nothing compared to the advertising hype Apple is doing but it is a step up nonetheless

Comment

Stan.06

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
I have read a few comments here to make me decide between a iPhone 12 pro or the max, coming from an iPhone 7 plus.
I have pre-ordered the 12 pro considering that I wouldn't lose any screen estate because the screen size of both phones are practically the same.
After some more digging, I've found out that Apple have also decided to cheap out on batteries this year, making the iPhone 12 pro and the max's battery smaller than the 11 pro, and max.
The 12 pro has 2,775mAh and the 11 pro had 3046mah.
This is bothering me much more, knowing that its battery life is going to be way worse than the 11 pro battery, and probably worse than my 7 plus which had a 2900 mah battery.
So for $100, for a better screen, battery, and camera, I am now really hesitating between both.
I've thought of trying the 12 pro and returning it for a max if I wouldn't like it, but the release time of 3 weeks between the launch of each model makes is longer than Apple return policies of 14 days.

Comment

Polo Rose

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2020
I went from the 6s plus to the X that I still have and got used to the more streamlined frame and form factor. I also have the 12.9 inch iPad Pro that I do most of my viewing on, soo...

Attachments

• 873A9354-E146-4B46-B383-C9C04EA637C8.jpeg
    873A9354-E146-4B46-B383-C9C04EA637C8.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 40
Comment

allseeingi’s

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
As a former 5 and 7+ user then an 11Max Pro I will be going to the 12 Max pro . I take lot of photos, family , also when out walking , cycling and holidays etc . I Recall getting asked what cameras I used all the way back to the iphone 5 this has increased since using the the 11 Max Pro .

A recent video of some very good goals at our grandson’s football match was uploaded by our daughter to the team‘s Whats App group . She called us later and said she’d had a lot of enquiries as to what camera was used . I personally don’t feel baffled by the recent release , people will ultimately decide which is the best for them .

Last edited:
Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
I think that's wrong. f/2.0 allows more light. Pro Max has a longer telephoto lens which is unable to let in more light.

Also, Pro Max sensor has a larger sensor for the wide camera with larger pixels which Pro doesn't have I believe. Pro Max's wide camera will have better low light performance than Pro.
That's only true if both cameras have the same sensor size. A bigger sensor for the same aperture equates to better low light performance. iPhone 12 Pro Max variant has a 47 percent larger sensor on the main wide camera (see links below). I can't find anything about the sensor size for the telephoto lenses.

Comment

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68040
Jun 18, 2014
That's only true if both cameras have the same sensor size. A bigger sensor for the same aperture equates to better low light performance. iPhone 12 Pro Max variant has a 47 percent larger sensor on the main wide camera (see links below). I can't find anything about the sensor size for the telephoto lenses.

of course. bigger sensor means more surface area to capture light.

Comment

Ds6778

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
Man, I took the case out and it feels like the perfect size for me. I almost hope the camera difference isn’t that great. 👀
6482C4BB-CDD4-4F54-B831-F0A752E554FA.jpeg

Comment

jeffu

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
This site and write up has a section that probably explains the camera differences (and potential benefits either way) the best of any I have seen. He also calls out that the 87% improvement on the Max is compared to the iPhone 11 - not 87% better than the 12 Pro (regular size). I also see from the article that the larger sensor is only on the Wide (normal) lens. Just not sure the extra size is worth dealing with all the time for the slight improvements?

Comment

crazydiamond222

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
This site and write up has a section that probably explains the camera differences (and potential benefits either way) the best of any I have seen. He also calls out that the 87% improvement on the Max is compared to the iPhone 11 - not 87% better than the 12 Pro (regular size). I also see from the article that the larger sensor is only on the Wide (normal) lens. Just not sure the extra size is worth dealing with all the time for the slight improvements?

I agree on the size. I drop my regular

I’m now debating if the telephoto lens is even worth the extra $200

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.