Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro vs. iPhone 12 Pro Max Buyer's Guide

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2002
I use my iPhone so much nowadays that the extra size is probably a good thing.
Interesting, for the exact same reason I'd never buy a max. I don't have my phone stored away in a bag 99% of the time. I hold it in my hands, often without support, and use it for hours every day. The impractical size and weight of the max are limiting its usefulness for me.

Reactions: arn
Comment

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
UK
It's not just the size of the 12 Pro Max, it's the substantial weight too.

I went from a 7 Plus to an X to an 11 Pro Max - as its steel rather than aluminium there's a fair bit of heft to it, particularly noticeable when comparing to my girlfriends XR.

Having sold my 11 Pro Max yesterday I'm using an 8 right now (to see if I can live with a Mini) and it feels like it came out of a Christmas cracker, had to check last night if it was still actually in my jeans pocket.

Comment

Corbets1979

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2016
I shouldn't have to buy a phablet to get the top camera specs. There should be consistentcy across the "pro" line.

I get a kick out of posts like this. I mean, I kinda get it - wouldn’t it be nice if we had all the best features in the form factor we wanted? But then, I kinda wish we’d get it at the price of the cheapest one, too. And while we’re at it, I’d like a holograph projector, too.

I don’t believe that Apple took away features from the Pro Max to deliberately differentiate it from the Pro. Apple were simply able to do more with the extra space available to them in the Pro Max case. So you’ve got to put on your big boy pants and decide which feature is more important to you - choice is a horrible thing.

For me personally, I’m kinda torn. I’d like the (slightly) better camera of the Pro Max for taking pictures of my son, but when my corporate phone renewal comes up in January, I imagine I’ll wind up with one of the pacific blue Pro phones, because I do most of my consumption / creation on this year’s iPad Pro with magic keyboard, and I think the size of the Pro Max would be awkward at times. I’ll live with the compromise. ;)

Comment

Taipan

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Did Apple really make an idiotic claim like low-light photos being „87% better“?

Comment

killhippie

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I went fir the pro, I have Osteporosis and use a wheelchair, I am in a lot of pain 24/7 and on high does of Morphine etc. a huge phone like the Max would be hard to hold and if I grip to awkwardly my hands spasm and my fingers bend backwards and I cant control it so using a smaller phone is easier for me and also easier to carry, and since My XR was fine but the 11 Pro was a bit heavy this is the ideal compromise.

Reactions: PhoenixDown
Comment

polyphenol

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Comment

americanguy

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
This year Im going with 12 Pro Max, in Silver. Im currently on the 8 Plus so Im used to bigger iPhone

Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I get a kick out of posts like this. I mean, I kinda get it - wouldn’t it be nice if we had all the best features in the form factor we wanted? But then, I kinda wish we’d get it at the price of the cheapest one, too. And while we’re at it, I’d like a holograph projector, too.

I don’t believe that Apple took away features from the Pro Max to deliberately differentiate it from the Pro. Apple were simply able to do more with the extra space available to them in the Pro Max case. So you’ve got to put on your big boy pants and decide which feature is more important to you - choice is a horrible thing.

For me personally, I’m kinda torn. I’d like the (slightly) better camera of the Pro Max for taking pictures of my son, but when my corporate phone renewal comes up in January, I imagine I’ll wind up with one of the pacific blue Pro phones, because I do most of my consumption / creation on this year’s iPad Pro with magic keyboard, and I think the size of the Pro Max would be awkward at times. I’ll live with the compromise. ;)
What you described is exactly what they do with the regular 12 line tho.

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
As I mentioned f-stop number is the ratio between focal length and aperture diameter, so assuming the sensors are the same size the aperture is still physically 13.6% larger on the Pro Max tele lens.
This is funny seeing tech people talking about photography as we simply say the telephoto on Pro (f2.0) should have “1/3 stop more light” than the Pro Max which is just f2.2 but we can only compare lens to the same aperture so it’s moot anyway.

Comment

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Was just in a department store and overheard the guy on the Apple desk listing off all the different Apple phone models to a very confused looking group of adults.

I like that people have choice and the models and specs of choosing a car is an example of that, but when it comes to tech some people glaze over real quick, and I just witnessed it happen. Not sure this is what Apple really want but hey, what do I know.

Reactions: iapplelove
Comment

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Reactions: polyphenol
Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Was just in a department store and overheard the guy on the Apple desk listing off all the different Apple phone models to a very confused looking group of adults.
For real? What’s there to be confused? If you don’t want small phone or pro phone get the 12. If small phone is your thing, get mini. If you’d like pro phone but not big phone get 12 pro. The rest 12 Pro Max. Piece of cake.

Reactions: jbachandouris
Comment

DblHelix

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Would have been nice to have the guide before they went on sale. Now hey are pushed to November. If I had this I may have chosen the pro instead of waiting for the max

Comment

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Do we know if Pro Max is getting Apple Leather Cases?
Good question. MR had a story on the homepage about cases for the Pro Max coming out in November. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't make leather cases for it.

Regardless, I am anxiously waiting for the 6.7" Pro Max. 'Launch Day' is actually on my birthday and the fact that it's 2 months late means that my payment will be $8/month cheaper according to Apple's website.

Comment

P-DogNC

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
North Carolina
It's been six years since the iPhone 7 came out and the iPhone 12 is only marginally better. At this rate, (of diminishing returns) the iPhone 19 looks like the next iPhone to wait for.. Seven more years
It has been only FOUR years since the iPhone 7 came out, not six. In 2016, Samsung was furiously trying to beat the iPhone 7 to market with its Galaxy Note 7, so they produced the Note with quicker-to-ship exploding batteries!

Comment

njek

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
My XS Max 256GB cost me £1,249. I needed >64GB, so this was only cheapest option
My 12 Pro Max 128GB will cost me £1,099

XS Max = 158x77x7.7mm and 208g
12 Pro Max = 161x78x7.4mm and 226g

I can't wait! :)

Comment

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
I was torn between the mini and the pro max. Now I’m torn the mini, pro and pro max. Upgrading from the XR and am interested in iPhone Photgraphy.
When the 10s came out, I went for the XR because the “guts” were the same. I take a lot of pictures/videos and in all honesty, I’ve been disappointed with the XR. So, I’m upgrading to the 12 pro max...

Comment

Usernotmaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Does anyone know why the 12 and 12 mini don't have a telephoto camera but do have an ultrawide?
What's the logic or technical reason?
I use telephoto a lot since 7+, am I the only one?

Comment

Mr. Mad Vibes

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
Bought 2 iphone 12 Pro's yesterday. Blue and Gold for the wifey. Coming from the 11, I mainly needed the extra storage space. The rest is a bonus. This will be my phone for the next 3-4 years..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.