Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning on launching the iPhone 12 this fall which is rumored to be coming in 3 different sizes: 5.4", 6.1" and 6.7". The middle size (6.1") matches up with the currently shipping iPhone 11, but the other two sizes will be entirely new.

Over the weekend, there was some excitement about how well the new 5.4" iPhone 12 compares to the original iPhone SE. Those who have been hoping for a smaller iPhone see the 5.4" model as possible successor to the original iPhone SE in terms of one handed use.

Click on image for full-resolution

We were able to obtain iPhone 12 dummy models that have been circulating in China. The models are based on leaked schematics of the upcoming iPhone 12 and so are believed to represent the sizes of the new devices.

We took photos of the models alongside our existing iPhone models to composite this image which shows the relative sizes of various iPhones. Note: the iPhone 11 Pro is essentially equivalent to the iPhone X in size, and the iPhone XR is the same size as the iPhone 11 and 6.1" iPhone 12.

Update: Although we indicated the 6.1" iPhone 12 and 6.1" iPhone 11 should be the same size, the iPhone 12 version is actually slightly smaller.

iphone_11_and_12.jpg

Article Link: iPhone 12 Sizes Compared with iPhone SE, 7, 8, SE 2, X, 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max [Update]

Last edited:

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
How would the 6.1 12 be the same size as the 11? The 11 already has bigger bezel than the pro’s because they are lcd. Not only is it supposed to be oled, but it’s supposed to have even thinner bezels than the current pro’s.

Good point! Totally forgot about the thicker bezels on the 11! Now I’m even more curious. My upgrade will have to be the 6.1 Pro because the 5.4 is too small for me. I absolutely love the 5.8 size, I wish that was here to stay.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
How would the 6.1 12 be the same size as the 11? The 11 already has bigger bezel than the pro’s because they are lcd. Not only is it supposed to be oled, but it’s supposed to have even thinner bezels than the current pro’s.

I’ve been curious about this as well and have been hoping that we would see a smaller footprint on the new 6.1” devices.

Another possibility is that Apple might take advantage of the smaller bezels and bump the display to 6.2”. Maybe?

Reactions: 19callum93

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
That 5.4" phone is really the successor to the iPhone 5/5s, which I still think is the best phone design overall. I used my 5 for six years, and still have it has a backup, and I just may go ahead and switch to the small 12, I think it's close enough that I'll be happier (the X/XS is a bit too big to be comfortable for me). Let's see what the feature list ends up like, hopefully it ships with all of the goodies and isn't a cut rate version of the 12 line.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

Apple is planning on launching the iPhone 12 this fall which is rumored to be coming in 3 different sizes: 5.4", 6.1" and 6.7". The middle size (6.1") matches up with the currently shipping iPhone 11, but the other two sizes will be entirely new.

Over the weekend, there was some excitement about how well the new 5.4" iPhone 12 compares to the original iPhone SE. Those who have been hoping for a smaller iPhone see the 5.4" model as possible successor to the original iPhone SE in terms of one handed use.

We were able to obtain iPhone 12 dummy models that have been circulating in China. The models are based on leaked schematics of the upcoming iPhone 12 and so are believed to represent the sizes of the new devices.

We took photos of the models alongside our existing iPhone models to composite this image which shows the relative sizes of various iPhones. Note: the iPhone 11 Pro is essentially equivalent to the iPhone X in size, and the iPhone XR is the same size as the iPhone 11 and 6.1" iPhone 12.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Sizes Compared with iPhone SE, 7, 8, SE 2, X, 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

great looking chart. thanks.
a really interesting comparison would be for you to add the weight in grams below each model for all the already launched models.

Reactions: kyleh22

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I just hope they don’t hobble the smaller size with fewer features. I never understood the “bigger phone = more premium/professional” concept they’ve been playing up for years now.
The 6.1” size is the only size available in both non-Pro and pro. The 5.4” is only available in non-Pro and the 6.7” is only available in Pro.

If you want a 5.4” Pro or a 6.7” non-Pro you’re out of luck; like a 4” SE, Apple doesn’t think they’ll sell well enough to bother with.

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
That iPhone 12 Pro size looks perfect. I can understand the want for a larger screen, but I’m starting to get bothered by the size of the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Might just save me some $$$ too

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It appears that there is hardly any difference between the new SE and rumored 5.4.” I was exited for the 5.4. I think I will hang onto my new SE and see about upgrading to the new Apple Watch series 6.
There’s a pretty big difference between the new SE and the 5.4: the size of the display. When I went from a 4” to a 4.7” screen I lost one handed usability. But whose thumb has a 5.4” range of motion?

The 5.4” iPhone 12” is going to be only slightly more usable one handed than were the 5.5” Plus models, i.e., not at all.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I'm super looking forward to holding and trying the 5.4" model, but I don't know how feasible that'll be with the pandemic and all ☹

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for sharing these images.

I may still be the honeymoon period with my 11 but it is definitely the perfect size for me.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

Their dummy 6.1" looks barely bigger than the iPhone X, I think the iPhone 11 is bigger than the dummy unit, just MacRumors hasn't bothered to measure the 12 and realize it is smaller than the 11/XR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.