Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I would rather watch paint peel then these yearly robotic idiots. Especially with their stupid over the top herp derp surprised faces.
I used to enjoy YouTube because of the fresh, original, and genuine videos.

Now (well, more like over the past 5-7 years now), YouTube is fill with dumb scripted videos where people are all fake and overly dramatic. They're all chasing the ?

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I would rather watch paint peel then these yearly robotic idiots. Especially with their stupid over the top herp derp surprised faces. Pisses me off Apple sends them so many. One of each color? Really? All 1TB models as well. This is another reason why shortages happen at launch.

I really tried not to watch any of these this year because I’ve been looking forward to this one due to ProMotion and didn’t want to ruin it for myself, yet here I am watching them get their hands all over them days before… meanwhile us peasants have to wait. It’s like dangling a piece of cake in front of a fat kid: “Look! We have the new iPhones before you guys! And they are ah-mazing!”. I know they have to in order to ‘review’ them (well, it’s more like PR for Apple) but still. Grrr! Annoying bunch. Makes you sick. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: eelynek and iGüey

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
The best review would be from Mr. Rogers to the kids in his neighborhood:

"Hi, children, today we are going to learn a new word. The word is 'I N C R E M E N T A L'. Can you say 'incremental'? That is what we get with Apple iPhone releases. It means Apple is too cheap to offer real advancements over the last year's iPhone, so they sell you a slightly different model at an extremely high price, then use a lot of fancy words to trick you into believing it is really much better than it is...."

:D

• Love
Reactions: iGüey

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the mini's cute, but if you haven't spent a day with one — i would strongly suggest doing so. i got one for my wife(and she loves it), but it would be hard for me to go down in size like that.
see my signature ... I have had the 12 mini since early March 2021 and I absolutely LOVE IT (about 10x more now with iOS 15)! I'm just worried about the camera's, particularly with Lens Flare that's killing my shots on the 12 mini! This will be traded in.

my indecision is:
none-related : Mountain bike will be repaired tomorrow - then selling it buying another ('21 Rockhopper 29er > Giant Escape 2 Disc medium / Giant Fastroad SL 2.

1. Feel of the regular 13/13 Pro in the hand (I've got small hands for a guy)
2. Lens Flare in pictures!!! This is CRUCIAL ... and since we cannot test and this preliminary videos says NOTHING about this ... I'm very wary.
3. Wide, Portrait and macro shots ... I really like taking macro shots of insects/animals - but I can't on the mini (not really). If I can get a Moment type add-on Lens that works for Macros - then decision is final.

Trust me I'm 80% there on the mini again this year and I'm going full out like last year. I'll get 512GB + 2yrs AppleCare+ at full retail at $50CAN less than I paid for the 12 Mini 256B + AppleCare+

Pre-order is out for me - plus shipping is now going to 2nd week in OCT so in-store pickup.

You know what ... screw it! 13 mini it is!

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I used to enjoy YouTube because of the fresh, original, and genuine videos.

Now (well, more like over the past 5-7 years now), YouTube is fill with dumb scripted videos where people are all fake and overly dramatic. They're all chasing the 💵
The cheap acting school mannerisms are really getting out of hand. MKBHD, Flossy and The Tech Chap keep a lid on it for the most part but aside from them I can't stand 10 seconds of most tech reviewers.

Reactions: eelynek and 5105973

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Getting tired of seeing the same old youtubers with the same old pwwwesents gifted from Apple. I read The Verge and that's it for a constructive review.
Thing is, these are just unboxings. The Verge has thorough reviews but you should really shop around for specific reviews of different components that you might be interested in. If you're in the iPhone upgrade program and know your phone is coming Friday, that's what these videos are really for.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Thing is, these are just unboxings. The Verge has thorough reviews but you should really shop around for specific reviews of different components that you might be interested in. If you're in the iPhone upgrade program and know your phone is coming Friday, that's what these videos are really for.
Wrong. Youtube influencers are gifted iPhones to encourage purchases from average consumers, not the die hard fans who would upgrade every year regardless.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
see my signature ... I have had the 12 mini since early March 2021 and I absolutely LOVE IT (about 10x more now with iOS 15)! I'm just worried about the camera's, particularly with Lens Flare that's killing my shots on the 12 mini! This will be traded in.

my indecision is:
none-related : Mountain bike will be repaired tomorrow - then selling it buying another ('21 Rockhopper 29er > Giant Escape 2 Disc medium / Giant Fastroad SL 2.

1. Feel of the regular 13/13 Pro in the hand (I've got small hands for a guy)
2. Lens Flare in pictures!!! This is CRUCIAL ... and since we cannot test and this preliminary videos says NOTHING about this ... I'm very wary.
3. Wide, Portrait and macro shots ... I really like taking macro shots of insects/animals - but I can't on the mini (not really). If I can get a Moment type add-on Lens that works for Macros - then decision is final.

Trust me I'm 80% there on the mini again this year and I'm going full out like last year. I'll get 512GB + 2yrs AppleCare+ at full retail at $50CAN less than I paid for the 12 Mini 256B + AppleCare+

Pre-order is out for me - plus shipping is now going to 2nd week in OCT so in-store pickup.

You know what ... screw it! 13 mini it is!
ahaha, missed the fine print))

idk, i'm still on the xs(about to upgrade now) and my wive's 12 mini takes amazing pictures, when compared. if the size works for you — i think it's def the way to go. it'll be a shame when(if) they discontinue the mini, which a lot of people expect to happen next year.

but yea, i just can't see myself going back to a phone that small, but if that's what you're on and you're happy with it — should be perfect!)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
These unboxing videos reminds me of a baby/toddler/child is learning and does something on their own for the first time and are so excited of their accomplishment.

Seriously these types of “unboxing” videos are so 2010. What happened to enjoying your own unboxing experience or watching someone else unbox a gift you provide them is completely different from those click monkeys.

Now if it’s a balanced and critically thought review of a product then I maybe interested. This not so much.

Solid_Snake

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
Getting tired of seeing the same old youtubers with the same old pwwwesents gifted from Apple. I read The Verge and that's it for a constructive review.
Shows how very little you know. They don’t don’t get to keep the devices. It’s review units for them to review. After the review they have to give the units back to Apple.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI and bbfc

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Shows how very little you know. They don’t don’t get to keep the devices. It’s review units for them to review. After the review they have to give the units back to Apple.
Are you sure about this as some give these products away as gifts or a contest to its subscribers. Unless those are purchased or donated by Apple.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I would rather watch paint peel then these yearly robotic idiots. Especially with their stupid over the top herp derp surprised faces. Pisses me off Apple sends them so many. One of each color? Really? All 1TB models as well. This is another reason why shortages happen at launch.
But they have to send them back. They don’t keep them. At least I think they do.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ahaha, missed the fine print))

idk, i'm still on the xs(about to upgrade now) and my wive's 12 mini takes amazing pictures, when compared. if the size works for you — i think it's def the way to go. it'll be a shame when(if) they discontinue the mini, which a lot of people expect to happen next year.

but yea, i just can't see myself going back to a phone that small, but if that's what you're on and you're happy with it — should be perfect!)
Thanks man.

Definitely the mini works for me, I don't need all the pro features beyond what seems to be tantalizing of the 120hz variable refresh rate.

Key points:
1.5hrs claimed increase of battery life,
larger sensors letting more light in & sensor shift tech on the Ultra Wide camera,
HDR with Dolby Vision 4K @ 60fps (12 mini had 4K @ 30 fps)
800 nits typical max brightness (12 mini had 625), HDR Max brightness is the same at 1200 nits.
Wireless Charging is an improvement:
  • MagSafe wireless charging up to 15W (12 mini only supports 12w in MagSafe).
  • Qi wireless charging up to 7.5W

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Thanks man.

Definitely the mini works for me, I don't need all the pro features beyond what seems to be tantalizing of the 120hz variable refresh rate.

Key points:
1.5hrs claimed increase of battery life,
larger sensors letting more light in & sensor shift tech on the Ultra Wide camera,
HDR with Dolby Vision 4K @ 60fps (12 mini had 4K @ 30 fps)
800 nits typical max brightness (12 mini had 625), HDR Max brightness is the same at 1200 nits.
Wireless Charging is an improvement:
  • MagSafe wireless charging up to 15W (12 mini only supports 12w in MagSafe).
  • Qi wireless charging up to 7.5W
i'm not sure about how much we'll really see of this 120hz, i mean i've never noticed any lag and i have pretty damn good vision...

and magsafe just seems like a very poorly implemented ecosystem, at least for the time being. i'm not sold on it at all, but perhaps i'm missing something :)

listen, the pro will obvs have better spec, that's makes it the pro. the real question is — do you need them or not :)

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Hooray for the influencers who are, effectively, paid for an opinion and paid again by the clicks that support them!

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.