Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All four iPhone 13 models will feature an upgraded Ultra Wide camera lens with a wider ƒ/1.8 aperture, compared to ƒ/2.4 on iPhone 12 models, Barclays analysts Blayne Curtis and Thomas O'Malley said in an investor note shared with MacRumors.

iphone-12-pro-triple-camera-video.jpg

In an investor note with TF International Securities in November, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also claimed that the Ultra Wide lens will be upgraded to an ƒ/1.8 aperture, but only on iPhone 13 Pro models, so there is conflicting information as to exactly how many models will get the lens upgrade. Kuo expects the upgraded Ultra Wide lens to expand to the rest of the flagship iPhone lineup in the second half of 2022.

A wider aperture would allow for more light to pass through the lens, with the move from a ƒ/2.4 to ƒ/1.8 aperture likely to result in significantly improved low-light performance when shooting in Ultra Wide mode on iPhone 13 models.

Barclays also claimed that the iPhone 12 Pro Max's upgraded Telephoto lens will expand to the standard iPhone 13 Pro, with a 65mm focal length and ƒ/2.2 aperture, a move that is expected to benefit chipmaker Cirrus Logic given that it would be supplying Apple with a camera controller for an additional iPhone model starting later this year.

Apple is expected to stick with the same display sizes and camera setups for the iPhone 13 lineup, including 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch models with dual-lens cameras and 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch models with triple-lens cameras. Other rumored camera features include the expansion of the LiDAR Scanner and sensor-shift image stabilization to more models.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Expected to Feature Upgraded Ultra Wide Camera With Significantly Improved Low-Light Performance

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
I bought the Pro for its cameras, but I wish I could say I used the ultra-wide more. My primary reason for buying the Pro over the non was its inclusion of the zoom, which is far more practical in everyday use. Word is they'll be adding more reach to the zoom down the line, which will likely be my next upgrade.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I’d rather have the 50x periscope camera.

In the future all these cameras will be combined into one single large lens. Then they can add two for 3D recording. :cool:

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
Other than most commenters here, I actually like (and use) the Wide-angle camera on my iPhone 12 mini a lot! It's very nice in daylight! It also has MUCH less lens flares/glares/dots issues. The one big downside of the wide-angle: in low light it is significantly less sensitive (more grainy) compared to the main camera. The new night-mode compensates that reasonably well, which is good, but it's great news they focus on improving the wide angle camera for next iteration.

Next MAJOR thing they need to improve: internal lens reflection issues on the main camera. This huge problem with lens flares/glares/dots, is VERY apparent in iPhone 11 and 12 cameras and up (MUCH more compared to, for instance iPhone 8).

Reactions: Kiorr

Ahmed7

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2017
Bahrain
The 2x telephoto is perfect for portraits and its my most used lens, I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t like the new 2.5x

Reactions: kiranmk2

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Moving from the iPhone X to iPhone 12, the cameras are mostly a downgrade, with the exception of Night Mode. I find the ultra-wide too low quality that it's almost a gimmick. Also, I get lots more awful lens-flares in my photos that weren't an issue on the X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.