Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I chuckle and am puzzled by people who use battery packs on the iPhone Mini. You’re completely ruining the purpose of a small smartphone - attaching a battery pack and adding weight and bulk to the iPhone Mini is counterproductive.

You guys bought the wrong phone.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I chuckle and am puzzled by people who use battery packs on the iPhone Mini. You’re completely ruining the purpose of a small smartphone - attaching a battery pack and adding weight and bulk to the iPhone Mini is counterproductive.

I only use the battery pack when I need it, but even with the battery it's still easier to hold than the regular 13. I bought it for the screen size, not the weight.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I'd say go for it now. Even the marginal improvements between both phones can mean an extra 1 to 1.5 years of usage.

Once the new line-up is out and the Mini series is (most likely) axed, they'll definitely sell for a premium. Just look at what happened to the big HomePod after it was discontinued. People are buying lightly used ones for even more than it retailed for.

You're talking about a one-of-a-kind product (tiny flagship phone) that is highly demanded by a niche community. It'll definitely go up in price when it's cancelled.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
It'll definitely go up in price when it's cancelled.
Not a chance. The uptake of the 13 Mini has been so poor, that there is so much surplus stock which will be offered in promos by carriers after 14 gen is out.

Buying one now at anything close to MSRP is just silly.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020

I suppose there's many scenarios where it could be a life saver having extra juice when needed, like power banks. Personal analogy, me owning the smallest micro 4/3 cam body, few pancake, portrait, and zoom lenses. A larger bag holds them all, smaller bag has the 2 pancakes, lastly tiny bag just cam and pancake lens. It depends on the occasion and use if portability is a priority.
Choices are nice and I'd (personally) hate to carry the weight/ size just for battery dependency, without choice..all the time.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Not a chance. The uptake of the 13 Mini has been so poor, that there is so much surplus stock which will be offered in promos by carriers after 14 gen is out.

Buying one now at anything close to MSRP is just silly.
I'm hoping very much this will happen with the mini 13. I desperately want it as a secondary phone for my 2016 SE ;)

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
In your situation I would just keep the 12. 4 or 5 years from now the difference between the 12 and 13 minis will be indistinguishable, and batteries can be replaced.
The mini 13 may get iOS updates for somewhat longer than the mini 12, and it has a 28% brighter display (while reducing power requirements), which get dimmer over time so may last longer.

The mini 13 has double storage size, faster CPU, substantially better camera (47% more light sensitivity, sensor shift stabilization), larger battery, and brighter display. I'll definitely go for it later this year (currently still have the 12 mini).

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
The mini 13 may get iOS updates for somewhat longer than the mini 12, and it has a 28% brighter display (while reducing power requirements), which get dimmer over time so may last longer.

The mini 13 has double storage size, faster CPU, substantially better camera (47% more light sensitivity, sensor shift stabilization), larger battery, and brighter display. I'll definitely go for it later this year (currently still have the 12 mini).
If it’s worth the $$$ investment to the OP.

4pp13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
The 14mini soon come folks oh yes indeed
I wish this were true. Definitely would be waiting it out if so. If a surprise happens, then they will get some extra cash! However I’m not expecting it. It’s almost good in a way, at least won’t get upgrade envy in a very long while.

Reactions: Ram65

4pp13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
I decided to go for it. It could definitely be seen as a huge waste of money, true, but I use my phone for everything. Already just the benefit of the battery life is better. I’m enjoying the phone I’d get in a few months anyways sooner rather than later.

I got a solid discount on it, though. That swayed things as I calculated the price changes for the iphone 12 mini versus what I could get this for and waiting the months didn’t seem
worth it. I do have a super cheap sim only deal though, so maybe carriers would do better but I’m not switching to a long contract, been burned by that in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.