Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eysiskal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
According to a report here, the iPhone 13 Pro's battery is slightly smaller than what you get with a standard iPhone 13. Yet Apple is promising significantly higher battery life from the pro model.

Any idea how this is achieved? Is it the pro motion display's ability to slow down the refresh rate?

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
The 13 Pro has a 3125mah battery while the 13 has 3240mah. For watching videos the 13 Pro’s VRR display will win, but otherwise in normal usage the 13 Pro gets 1.5 hours better than the 12 Pro, whereas the 13 yields 2.5 hours better than the 12. The 12 already had a tiny bit better battery life vs the 12 Pro so the longest lasting iPhone will be the 13 Pro Max based on its massive 4373mah capacity, followed by the iPhone 13. The 13 is going to be very impressive for battery life!

eysiskal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
The 13 Pro has a 3125mah battery while the 13 has 3240mah. For watching videos the 13 Pro’s VRR display will win, but otherwise in normal usage the 13 Pro gets 1.5 hours better than the 12 Pro, whereas the 13 yields 2.5 hours better than the 12. The 12 already had a tiny bit better battery life vs the 12 Pro so the longest lasting iPhone will be the 13 Pro Max based on its massive 4373mah capacity, followed by the iPhone 13. The 13 is going to be very impressive for battery life!
So you DO think the non-pro 13 will have better real-world battery life than the Pro model?

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
So you DO think the non-pro 13 will have better real-world battery life than the Pro model?
Without question, especially someone who rarely reads with a static screen. For instance, a teen using the 13 would most likely outlast a 13 Pro by 1.5 hours as the Pro will be at 120Hz often and with a 100mah less battery capacity to work with.

eysiskal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Without question, especially someone who rarely reads with a static screen. For instance, a teen using the 13 would most likely outlast a 13 Pro by 1.5 hours as the Pro will be at 120Hz often and with a 100mah less battery capacity to work with.
I am somewhat tempted to change my preorder to a non-pro in this case. Battery life is probably no. 1 in importance for me. Though I am coming from an iPhone X, so maybe the improvement I'll see by that upgrade will be substantial enough to keep me happy.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I am somewhat tempted to change my preorder to a non-pro in this case. Battery life is probably no. 1 in importance for me. Though I am coming from an iPhone X, so maybe the improvement I'll see by that upgrade will be substantial enough to keep me happy.
Oh yeah definitely stick with the Pro, I think you’ll be more than pleased with the battery life!

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Not according to Apple.
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 5.49.55 PM.png

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
According to a report here, the iPhone 13 Pro's battery is slightly smaller than what you get with a standard iPhone 13. Yet Apple is promising significantly higher battery life from the pro model.

Any idea how this is achieved? Is it the pro motion display's ability to slow down the refresh rate?
It’s achieved by magic of $200, haha.

• Haha
Reactions: KaliYoni

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Yes, hence why I specifically stated the use case that would enable a 13 to have better runtime over the 13 Pro. I didn’t say anything about watching videos.
This test shows the 13 Pro to have better battery life than the 13.

iPhone 13 Pro11:42
iPhone 1310:33

It doesn't use videos for the comparison.

"We run every phone we review through the Tom's Guide battery test, which involves continuous web surfing over 5G cellular at 150 nits of screen brightness."

Reactions: ediks and eysiskal

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
This test shows the 13 Pro to have better battery life than the 13.

iPhone 13 Pro11:42
iPhone 1310:33

It doesn't use videos for the comparison.

"We run every phone we review through the Tom's Guide battery test, which involves continuous web surfing over 5G cellular at 150 nits of screen brightness."
We have no idea what continuous web surfing means during their testing though. Did a robot refresh the page every 30 seconds? Truly continuous web surfing with your finger would mean the Pro is at 120Hz almost the entire time, surely using more power than the standard 13, otherwise activating low power mode wouldn’t lock the refresh rate at 60Hz on the 13 Pro. The real world usage (active fingers) will be less than the 13.

Reactions: robinium

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Truly continuous web surfing with your finger would mean the Pro is at 120Hz almost the entire time
We disagree there. The display only reaches 120 Hz when you're scrolling, but the moment you don't scroll, it jumps back down to 10 Hz or whatever the content on the screen dictates. This is a massive difference to 60 Hz all the time.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
We have no idea what continuous web surfing means during their testing though. Did a robot refresh the page every 30 seconds? Truly continuous web surfing with your finger would mean the Pro is at 120Hz almost the entire time, surely using more power than the standard 13, otherwise activating low power mode wouldn’t lock the refresh rate at 60Hz on the 13 Pro. The real world usage (active fingers) will be less than the 13.
Whatever. Apple and an independent tester say the Pro lasts longer. I guess you can believe whatever you want.

robinium

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
I totally see @Jetcat3 's point here; if someone uses their phone mostly by scrolling all day, it isn't as clear cut that the 13P will outlast the 13, because the phone will operate at 120Hz a lot of the time. However, if there is a significant amount of video and static screen time, then the 13P will still win, as the screen will be operating below 30Hz a lot of the time.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I totally see @Jetcat3 's point here; if someone uses their phone mostly by scrolling all day, it isn't as clear cut that the 13P will outlast the 13, because the phone will operate at 120Hz a lot of the time. However, if there is a significant amount of video and static screen time, then the 13P will still win, as the screen will be operating below 30Hz a lot of the time.
Still, it's not as easy as they portray it. Who scrolls all day without looking at content or reading what they're scrolling through? What about typing on the keyboard, what about phone calls, WhatsApp and iMessage? No one is scrolling without pause, think about it.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
How did you come up with this 1.5 hours? The 13's battery is less than 4% bigger than the 13 Pro. All things being equal, where would a 4% bigger battery gain you 1.5 more hours usage on a phone that lasts 7-10 hours? On the high end (10 hours), that extra 4% would get you less than a half hour.

The 12's battery is 26% bigger than the 12 Mini's. On this test the 12 only lasted 57 minutes (13%) longer.

I guess it boils down to what will make a bigger impact on battery life, a 4% bigger battery or ProMotion. My money goes on ProMotion.

Reactions: MandiMac

robinium

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Still, it's not as easy as they portray it. Who scrolls all day without looking at content or reading what they're scrolling through? What about typing on the keyboard, what about phone calls, WhatsApp and iMessage? No one is scrolling without pause, think about it.
I'm not saying it is actually going to last less, but I said that I see the poster's point in saying it isn't a hands down guaranteed beat by the 13 Pro in certain use cases. It's a bit less clear cut than that and really depends on the usage. For most people, the 13 Pro should still win, as you'll have a good mix of content that runs at a lower refresh rate.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Still, it's not as easy as they portray it. Who scrolls all day without looking at content or reading what they're scrolling through? What about typing on the keyboard, what about phone calls, WhatsApp and iMessage? No one is scrolling without pause, think about
How did you come up with this 1.5 hours? The 13's battery is less than 4% bigger than the 13 Pro. All things being equal, where would a 4% bigger battery gain you 1.5 more hours usage on a phone that lasts 7-10 hours? On the high end (10 hours), that extra 4% would get you less than a half hour.

The 12's battery is 26% bigger than the 12 Mini's. On this test the 12 only lasted 57 minutes (13%) longer.

I guess it boils down to what will make a bigger impact on battery life, a 4% bigger battery or ProMotion. My money goes on ProMotion.
Apple specifically stated the 13 Pro lasts 1.5 hour longer than the 12 Pro. The 13 lasts 2.5 hours longer than the 12.

If you had two teens using a 13 Pro and one using a 13, you’d definitely see at least an hour longer on the 13.

I don’t know why your money is on promotion, there’s a reason low power mode caps the refresh rate to 60Hz!

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
I don’t know why your money is on promotion, there’s a reason low power mode caps the refresh rate to 60Hz!
I am interpreting your comments regarding this fact to mean that you have concluded normal power usage will most likely keep the screen in a 60Hz or faster state most of the time and that locking it in low power mode caps it at 60Hz (thereby consuming less power than the >60Hz setting).

Something to consider is that ProMotion involves much more than refresh rate. There is computational power involved in scaling the refresh rate along with the refresh rate itself. I don't think it's accurate to compare ProMotion strictly between 60Hz and >60Hz refresh rates--I think it's better understood as ProMotion "off" (computational power to govern screen resolution *off* with screen passively displaying 60Hz rather than being "locked") and ProMotion "on" (computational power to govern resolution scaling with screen actively adjusting Hz--sometimes slower, sometimes faster).

In other words, ProMotion itself is the likely power hog.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Apple specifically stated the 13 Pro lasts 1.5 hour longer than the 12 Pro. The 13 lasts 2.5 hours longer than the 12.

If you had two teens using a 13 Pro and one using a 13, you’d definitely see at least an hour longer on the 13.

On this test the 13 Pro lasted 30 minutes longer than the 13 doing a bunch of different tasks. But you keep believing what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.