Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
I got my iPhone 13PM a few weeks after launch. My battery health is already at 90%. Is this normal? I spoke with apple and they wouldn’t really say much other than since it’s above 80%. It’s perfectly fine. I’ve noticed myself having to charge it more and more. I’m using a 20W apple charger, never used wireless charging. And have battery optimization when charging turned on.

I also only use LTE. I have 5G turned off. My guess would be that since these devices regularity get super hot. That is what’s degrading my battery health faster. But I guess I could be wrong.

039cc839ba39ef7e2dd8673f85f2e44c.png

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
I've had mine for 8 months and it's still at 100% and I have 5g on all of the time. Also, it never runs hot, although my use so far has been fall, winter, and spring; I have not used it during the summer heat yet.

Reactions: EddieKeyton1

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
Mine gets so hot up at the top left under the camera. I’m guessing that’s where the cpu is. Especially when I play any 90FPS game. I asked apple and they just blow me off saying it’s normal. I guess there’s nothing I can do about it and I’ll just forget about it.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Mine gets so hot up at the top left under the camera. I’m guessing that’s where the cpu is. Especially when I play any 90FPS game. I asked apple and they just blow me off saying it’s normal. I guess there’s nothing I can do about it and I’ll just forget about it.
That might why your battery health is at 90% so quickly - gaming heats up the battery, leading to faster degradation.

Do you use your phone while charging? This would also generate excess heat, leading to faster degradation.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
That might why your battery health is at 90% so quickly - gaming heats up the battery, leading to faster degradation.

Do you use your phone while charging? This would also generate excess heat, leading to faster degradation.

I rarely game. Like maybe a few hours a week. I charge my phone once a day, and it’s when I’m asleep.

At this point I’m better off with the battery just hitting 80% health before I get to a year of ownership so I can get it replaced while it’s still in warranty. So I guess here is to hoping it degrades at the same rate as it has been lol

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
1̶0̶%̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶s̶?̶ ̶N̶o̶p̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶S̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶A̶p̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶e̶c̶t̶s̶.̶

Edit: My bad, I read it wrong. Since you got it a bit after launch, I think that's normal. I wouldn't worry about it until it reaches 80% health.

Last edited:

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
90% after a year of usage? Yes, seems ok. Although mileage will vary according to usage habits and how many cycles you tack on per day.

Everyone else I talk to their battery health is above 95%. Some still at 100%. I haven’t seen one person with an iPhone 13 or 13 pro max that has a battery health of 90%.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Everyone else I talk to their battery health is above 95%. Some still at 100%. I haven’t seen one person with an iPhone 13 or 13 pro max that has a battery health of 90%.
Two things to take into account here:
  1. Everyone has different charging habits and hence everyone's batteries have different cycles in them. That's not representative
  2. The battery health indicator is an estimate.

Reactions: acorntoy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
100% still, been charging nightly with MagSafe.

Though I probably just jinxed myself by sharing about it here.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Launch day device and charge it whenever.. No set schedule.. mostly wired.. optimized charging off.. still at 100%

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I got my iPhone 13PM a few weeks after launch. My battery health is already at 90%. Is this normal? I spoke with apple and they wouldn’t really say much other than since it’s above 80%. It’s perfectly fine. I’ve noticed myself having to charge it more and more. I’m using a 20W apple charger, never used wireless charging. And have battery optimization when charging turned on.

I also only use LTE. I have 5G turned off. My guess would be that since these devices regularity get super hot. That is what’s degrading my battery health faster. But I guess I could be wrong.

There is no sure way of maintaining high battery health unfortunately. It’s all dependent on a lot of things, your usage, your charging patterns, climate you are in (is it too cold or is it too hot?)

Too many factors at play.

I switch between 5W, 12W and 18W charger on my 11 Pro Max and it’s been sitting at 87% health for well over 7 months now. After 1 year it was at around 98% I think, then in 2021 I saw the greatest drops monthly, and then end of 2021 until now it’s been sitting on 87%, there is nothing accurate about this number at all, IMO.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Does using a iPhone for tethering increase the degradation of a iPhone battery?

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2021
Does using a iPhone for tethering increase the degradation of a iPhone battery?

Anything that causes a load on the iPhone degrades the battery. Anything that causes heat degrades it even faster.

Battery health is determined by the amount of full charges that you’ve done(at least in my understanding). So anything that depletes the battery and causes you to charge it again, puts another nail in your batteries coffin.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
While I feel 90% is excessive, battery health monitors need to be taken with a grain of salt especially the battery health monitor in an iPhone. Its literally impossible for a battery health gauge to accurately show a single percentage without a large portion of luck. There are far too many variables, far too little data, and no where near enough time.

Every battery manufactured has a slightly different capacity. However Apple just uses there manufacturing spec across the board for their battery health monitor. That is why some people have a battery that stays at 100% for months. Its not because its degrading slower its because its capacity when new was above Apples 100% spec.

Apples algorithm is programmed with a bias. It never increases! This is to prevent customer confusion and tons of PR however battery health sliced into single percentages isn't enough time to factor out all anomalies. If there is an extreme variable in the data it can have a larger impact on the data set, and if that variable reports 90% when the health is 95% what it will do is sit at 90% for months until it calculates 89%. For example 4+ months and 64 battery cycles later and my battery health has increased!

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 7.58.33 AM.png

Battery capacity degradation isn't linear in respect to time when applied to average smartphone use. Since lithium i batteries are overcharged for higher capacity to approx 4.2 volts day in and day out they will degrade faster toward their nominal voltage the further they are from it. So the decline from 100% to 90% is faster than the decline from 90% to 80% everything else being equal. Smartphones in particular have capacity degradation that gets exponentially worse, the battery has a lower capacity and needs to be charged more, charging more increases wear and tear though cycles thus having to be charged more. Point of mentioning that is people in general correlate percentages with time when it comes to their normal routines.

But then we need to consider the battery health percentages statistic overall. At 79% you will get a popup in iOS that states "Your battery’s health is significantly degraded. An Apple Authorized Service Provider can replace the battery to restore full performance and capacity.". At 30% you will be lucky if the iPhones current to start up doesn't cause a low voltage shut down trigger. Why would an Apple battery health monitor on Apple hardware using an Apple battery report there is technically 30% battery health when there is obviously 0% of capacity accessible to the iPhone.

Those are just some issues with the battery monitor system itself. The data it has to work with is a different story.

Using CoconutBattery I can see the the fluctuation of battery health between summer and winter. Since a batteries chemistry is slowed by cold temps the capacity temporarily decreases. Do this enough times and the average decreases. When spring comes around it starts trending back up.

Some people don't allow their battery to get fully charged while most people dont let them completely die. While this is good for the batteries health its bad for the batteries health monitor. Not letting the battery die makes the battery life gauge and health unpredictable, I think we've all experience a device that either died at 10% or got to 1% and lasted for another hour. This is just because the effect of higher current from lower voltages were unknown. Conversely a factor used for calculating capacity comparing the normal charge rates to "tickle" charge at as the battery reaches higher voltage to see how resistant it is to accepting and holding the charge.

I could go on and on but looking up and this is getting a bit insane even by my standards...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My launch day 13 Pro Max is still at 102% battery health, at 102 charge cycles. My charging habits is to use a 12-watt charger and I keep the charging between 20% and 85%. I don’t use wireless charging.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
My 13 Pro with 141 cycles abused as hell is at 102.7%.
Charged with 96W MBP charger a few times, MagSafe charger overnight with a 20W charger or whatever I could find at the time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BrightCanon

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Charge it to 100% in the morning and if it goes to a day and a half don’t worry about it. If only a day then the battery is degrading faster than normal.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA

A 90% Battery Health is not what I would expect. I purchased my 13 Pro Max on launch day (September 24, 2021) and after 202 charging cycles it has a 99% Battery Health.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Launch day 13 PM with 103.2% battery(4492mAh) @ 138 cycles. Typically only charge to around 80%, but with my use, I rarely dip below 50% by the end of the day. Charge with Magsafe with the 20W Apple adapter.

• Wow
Reactions: BrightCanon

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
A 90% Battery Health is not what I would expect. I purchased my 13 Pro Max on launch day (September 24, 2021) and after 202 charging cycles it has a 99% Battery Health.
On July 14 Battery Health was 99% and today, July 26, is 98% I was not expecting that Battery Health would decrease from 100% to 98% within the same month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.