Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
When buying the 13 pro max this year, I found it hard to decide between the graphite and the sierra blue, so I ended up buying both, with the intention of selling one of them, once I had made up my mind.
But, here I am, almost two months later, and still undecided.
I know that the choice of color is a personal thing, and that people on a forum message board, can’t decide for me.
Still, I would like to hear your opinions about these two colors.
To me, the graphite is the timeless, classic color, that matches all my other Apple accessories, such as my MacBook, iPad and Apple Watch.
Still, as the graphite color is exactly like last year’s graphite, it doesn’t have that “new phone feeling” to it.
The sierra blue, however, screams “iPhone 13 pro max” and brings something new to the table. A unique color. It’s a brighter, yet elegant look.
In some light, it looks steel, or icey, gray, almost like something taken from the movie “Frozen”.
While other times it has a nice blue tone to it. Before it changes into an almost feminine lavender kind of color.
Some times I find the color so fresh and great, while other times it looks dull and boring (not quite silver, not quite blue).
I should mention that I use the phone at least 50/50 with/without a case, so yes, the color does matter to me.
I thought that the sierra blue would soon look boring and old, but with the color of the graphite 12 and 13, I think the graphite looks more dated and old - though I think it matches my style and my other equipment the best in the long run…
Never thought it would be this hard to choose a color.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I like graphite, it’s what I purchased. When I was looking at the 13 pro max all I saw in inventory was the blue and I let those units go to someone else. All I saw on eBay when I was looking (wouldn’t buy on eBay but looked) the vast majority were the blue.

I’m not interested in bling, peen or whatever. I don’t care people have to guess what model phone I have and I don’t care if Apple says their method for x color is premium. Don’t care, I don’t care for the color all that much and it’s going into a case anyway.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I always like to try the new colour when I buy a new iPhone. I’ve been doing that since 8 onwards. Prior to that I did get the gold iPhone 5S as that was the newer colour.

I had the midnight green for iPhone 11 Pro and this time went with the sierra blue.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Regina del Mare

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
Since blue is my favourite colour, I have no doubts that Sierra Blue is this year’s best! ?

Attachments

• 0C9A7E87-963F-472A-A423-D452808E66B5.jpeg
    0C9A7E87-963F-472A-A423-D452808E66B5.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 800

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I used to always go with black, but over the years it's become boring to me.

It's kind of the same with cars - you see so much black, white and grey out there in the streets nowadays that any flash of colour feels like a breath of fresh air. I've really liked the gold colour since they started changing them with the iPhone Xs, but I also liked Apple's other recent colours like the midnight green, pacific blue and sierra blue. They're all much more interesting than the same old variations of black and white.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
"In some light, it looks steel, or icey, gray, almost like something taken from the movie “Frozen”.
While other times it has a nice blue tone to it. Before it changes into an almost feminine lavender kind of color.
Some times I find the color so fresh and great, while other times it looks dull and boring (not quite silver, not quite blue)."

This is why I ultimately got rid of my Sierra Blue. I think you summed it up (at least for me). I wasn't too found of how drastic it looks in different lighting conditions. Its not a bad color whatsoever, just wasn't for me. In some lighting it almost reminded me of a Nardo Grey Audi where sometimes it looked too pastel.

Reactions: mosumart

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Blue is my favorite color so for me it was easy decision made. Pacific Blue for last year and this year Sierra Blue. Its all personal preference but i also go for my favorite color. Until apple stops making blue iphone only then will i go with the closest color to black.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
When buying the 13 pro max this year, I found it hard to decide between the graphite and the sierra blue, so I ended up buying both, with the intention of selling one of them, once I had made up my mind.
But, here I am, almost two months later, and still undecided.
I know that the choice of color is a personal thing, and that people on a forum message board, can’t decide for me.
Still, I would like to hear your opinions about these two colors.
To me, the graphite is the timeless, classic color, that matches all my other Apple accessories, such as my MacBook, iPad and Apple Watch.
Still, as the graphite color is exactly like last year’s graphite, it doesn’t have that “new phone feeling” to it.
The sierra blue, however, screams “iPhone 13 pro max” and brings something new to the table. A unique color. It’s a brighter, yet elegant look.
In some light, it looks steel, or icey, gray, almost like something taken from the movie “Frozen”.
Some times I find the color so fresh and great, while other times it looks dull and boring (not quite silver, not quite blue).
I should mention that I use the phone at least 50/50 with/without a case, so yes, the color does matter to me.
I thought that the sierra blue would soon look boring and old, but with the color of the graphite 12 and 13, I think the graphite looks more dated and old - though I think it matches my style and my other equipment the best in the long run…
Never thought it would be this hard to choose a color.

Blue is my favorite color, fairywinkle/powder blue is not.

Graphite all the way

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
Sierra Blue, like Midnight Green and Pacific Blue before it will almost certainly not be available again on any future iPhone - if you like the colour and you’re after a new iPhone, almost certainly get Sierra.

Graphite is indeed a classic, looks sleek and ‘can’t go wrong with it’ and certainly easier to match with cases, but we’ve had it as an option for the last 3 Pro phones. It’s not a fresh colour

Reactions: MacLappy

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
To me the sierra blue is the best colour Apple’s made so far. It’s not truly blue but more of a steely grey. I personally love mine, it’s such a nice change from my old gold 11 Pro (before that I always got the space grey colour because I hated the white bezels). Graphite is nice but boring in my opinion.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I've been on the Space Grey/Jet Black/Graphite team since the iPhone 5 days, except for PB for the 12 PM and I grew to dislike the dark blue color. I originally had a 13 PM in Graphite but settled on Sierra Blue and couldn't be happier. The back of the phone is just very pleasant to look at and it's a nice departure from grey/black iPhones for this time.

Reactions: MacLappy

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Blue is my favorite color, fairywinkle/powder blue is not.

Graphite all the way
Fairywinkle is not a color.

I did find an image of Periwinkle which I think is the non homophobic version of the color you were referencing.

Attachments

• FED919CD-B225-4BAD-AE6D-3DBCB7FEF4CA.jpeg
    FED919CD-B225-4BAD-AE6D-3DBCB7FEF4CA.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: TwitchyPuppy

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Personally I would never go for the flavor of the month color. I prefer something more classic and versatile. Graphite is basically Space Gray which is now a classic color.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaboid01

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Because it's a new color for iPhone 13 pro series, doesn't mean it's a "one-off" colored phone. Why not think of it as "this color will not be offered again for many, many years". It's a limited edition.

Besides, Sierra Blue really is a chameleon color and looks different under different lighting.

I don't understand why ppl go for graphite year after year, they can go graphite for as long as it they own an iPhone. Just like some people never change their wardrobe, never change their hairstyle, never,.....etc. I like change, I'm always open to new colors, new styles. I think a person can become "dated" if you never change.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
Fairywinkle is not a color.

I did find an image of Periwinkle which I think is the non homophobic version of the color you were referencing.

Attachments

• CD7978F1-0D9B-46B9-85E3-C8B6F3817CF9.jpeg
    CD7978F1-0D9B-46B9-85E3-C8B6F3817CF9.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 163

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
To be entirely honest, I was rooting for the Sierra Blue. But as I was too late with pre-ordering, I decided to wait. But as delivery times would not improve enough, I finally decided that I was gonna reserve one for pickup.

However, even then I had to be lucky to get the iPhone 13 Pro Sierra Blue in 128 GB. They’ve had them in the higher storage tiers, but it felt too expensive for me.

So what I did was that I went for the graphite Pro Max model (in 128 GB storage capacity). I’m glad I did. As someone mentioned, it’s a timeless classic Apple color. It’s always right to me.

Not to say that Sierra Blue isn’t nice (it looked absolutely beautiful in the Apple Store), but since I’m putting a silicon case on every iPhone anyway it wouldn’t really matter.

Besides, the black does match better with lighter case colors. I went with Chalk Pink, and I absolutely love it. With Sierra Blue, it wouldn’t have made any sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.