Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
Hi,
I wanted to share my experiments in photography with the iPhone 13 Pro Max,

I'm new in the Apple world, coming from Android. In a few words, I changed because of the photo quality of the iPhone 13 Pro and I'm not disappointed at all. I did a few tests in interiors, and here are the results.

I shot mainly with the stock camera app, and some with ProCam 8 for difficult light situations.
Deactivating the Smart HDR feature was sometimes necessary to get a natural rendering.

I'm quite happy with everything, colors accuracy, sharpening, lights management ... I really enjoy getting full control in manual mode with ProCam 8, I rediscover the pleasure of photography like with a DSLR :)

I did a few adjustments to some photo, adding vignetting, adjusting saturation or color temperature for exemple, but quite slightly. And I never used the noise reduction, and almost never used sharpening.

Some last comments :
  • The most difficult shot was the one with the little wooden house in the tree, with the reindeer, I wanted the most natural colors possible
  • Very happy of the colors accuracy for the fireplace shot
  • The last shot was taken in almost total darkness, with 10s exposure, and no tripod
Bokeh :

IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg

Macros :

IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0172~2.jpg

Lights :

IMG_0119~2.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg

Others :

IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg

Last edited:

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
Hi,
I wanted to share my experiments in photography with the iPhone 13 Pro Max,

I'm new in the Apple world, coming from Android. In a few words, I changed because of the photo quality of the iPhone 13 Pro and I'm not disappointed at all. I did a few tests in interiors, and here are the results.

I shot mainly with the stock camera app, and some with ProCam 8 for difficult light situations.
Deactivating the Smart HDR feature was sometimes necessary to get a natural rendering.

I'm quite happy with everything, colors accuracy, sharpening, lights management ... I really enjoy getting full control in manual mode with ProCam 8, I rediscover the pleasure of photography like with a DSLR :)

I did a few adjustments to some photo, adding vignetting, adjusting saturation or color temperature for exemple, but quite slightly. And I never used the noise reduction, and almost never used sharpening.

Some last comments :
  • The most difficult shot was the one with the little wooden house in the tree, with the reindeer, I wanted the most natural colors possible
  • Very happy of the colors accuracy for the fireplace shot
  • The last shot was taken in almost total darkness, with 10s exposure, and no tripod

Bokeh :

Macros :

Lights :

Others :

Damn!! these photos look so beautiful and the quality of the images is great. My favorite is the star, the tree, and the wooden house on the tree with the deer.

Reactions: cyMax

cyMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
Damn!! these photos look so beautiful and the quality of the images is great. My favorite is the star, the tree, and the wooden house on the tree with the deer.
Thanks a lot !
I can't wait to get new opportunities to shoot again with the 13 Pro Max, it's so enjoyable ?

Reactions: scott Lashville

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks a lot !
I can't wait to get new opportunities to shoot again with the 13 Pro Max, it's so enjoyable ?
I agree with you, I've had a lot of fun shooting with my 13PM. Yet at the same time, there are a bunch of MR users decrying the 13PM's photos (i.e. see here). I'm certainly no professional photographer - I'm not sure I have a single artistic bone in my body - but the photos I've taken have been great, and I'm satisfied with the cameras' performance overall (especially compared to my prior phone, an XS Max).

Reactions: cyMax and MacLappy

cyMax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
I agree with you, I've had a lot of fun shooting with my 13PM. Yet at the same time, there are a bunch of MR users decrying the 13PM's photos (i.e. see here). I'm certainly no professional photographer - I'm not sure I have a single artistic bone in my body - but the photos I've taken have been great, and I'm satisfied with the cameras' performance overall (especially compared to my prior phone, an XS Max).
I saw the thread with people complaining about photo quality, but I don't really get into the same problems. It's certainly not perfect, it's still just a smartphone after all, but the overall quality reached a level that makes it really consistent whatever the light situation, and I really enjoy it. Sure that I will be disappointed from time to time, especially if there is some movement in low light, there are still some limits ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.