Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Screen Protector?

• Yes

Votes: 182 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 74 28.9%

• Total voters

LXC101

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
I can't go without one. I usually just use film protectors and replace them a few times a year though - glass adds too much bulk for me.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I can't go without one. I usually just use film protectors and replace them a few times a year though - glass adds too much bulk for me.

You’re getting the wrong glass protectors by the sounds of it. The one I have is a Spigen and it’s just 0.3mm thick. You can’t even notice it on the phone and it’s about the same thickness as many of the plastic ones.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I have always used a screen protector on my IPhone, I have ordered the clear MagSafe case from o2 UK who are giving a free Zagg screen protector when you buy a case from them ?

PPmalena

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
Need suggestions please for a screen protector. 13 pro.

Needs: Edge to Edge protection. Excellent quality.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I constantly put my iPhone in my pocket with my keys so yeah, I get a screen protector always. Normally I get the Apple one as it is always applied perfect but the SPIGEN EZ Fit one looks like it does the same thing for half as much.

Reactions: swerve147

mookc1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2014
For my last 2 or 3 phones I've had the Belkin protectors applied at the Apple Store at the time I bought my phone - they have a machine to do it and it will be installed perfectly. This year I'm trying the Spigen GLAStR EZ Fit, which comes with a frame to align/install it.
I'm a big fan of the Power Support Intl crystal covers. Not sure if a screen protector is needed, but I always have one on my phone. Easy to apply. Apple carried them long ago.

BrandonMatt0718

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
New York
Well, I use a screen protector from Zagg. I only get the privacy filter one because the Pro Max screens are so big and it deters wandering or prying eyes if one needs to routinely access sensitive/ confidential data for work and what not. Zagg just released a new one for the iPhone 13 PM that has 360 degree privacy, working in both portrait and landscape orientation. Plus, they have a great warranty replacement program. Just pay shipping when it gets damaged, and they send out a new one. Good quality.

Reactions: dizmonk and moyjoy

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I’m a fan of the completely naked look, but I seem to have become quite clumsy recently and I’m scared of damaging my new phone, so have gone for a clear Spigen case with the Spigen glass screen protector. With my current iPhone 8 Plus I kept a case on for the first two years or so then took it off thinking, if it breaks, sod it, I can get a new one now. Then it lasted another two years. Will probably do the same this time.

moyjoy

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2019
New York
Well, I use a screen protector from Zagg. I only get the privacy filter one because the Pro Max screens are so big and it deters wandering or prying eyes if one needs to routinely access sensitive/ confidential data for work and what not. Zagg just released a new one for the iPhone 13 PM that has 360 degree privacy, working in both portrait and landscape orientation. Plus, they have a great warranty replacement program. Just pay shipping when it gets damaged, and they send out a new one. Good quality.
I used Zagg screens before I had an office (cubicle life) and they were great. Ditto on the warranty.

Now I’m 100% naked. No screen protector no case.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’ve used a case since iPhone X. Have never used a screen protector. Never had a scratch or a break. I’d say skip it.

lagflag

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2021
So we pay for the ceramic shield, then pay for a screen protector (let alone the experience of not using the touch screen the way it is meant to me?) No thanks, not for me. My Pixel 2 was bought used 3 years ago, always put it in my pocket and no scratch. I am now waiting for my iPhone 13 and it should have a better protected screen

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The screen protector on my iPhone 12 has a lot of scratches on it and one big gouge. That’s proof enough for me personally that ‘I’ need a screen protector on. It’s made of glass, you can’t see it because it fits up to the edge of my Caudabe Sheath case, so it’s not intrusive.

I’ll be brutally honest though and say if anybody else scratches their iPhone screen, I won’t lose any sleep over it. Do what you want I say

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I recommend latercase screen protectors. They’re durable but also super invisible, it’s super hard to tell you have a screen protector on

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Always going to use one. Screen protectors have gotten soooo good over the years. Anyone remember the early days of film protectors over the 3GS phones?! Now we have full screen edge-to-edge glass protectors that are almost indistinguishable from the regular screen. Here are the advantages for me: no scratches, no oleophobic coating wearing off, no disinfectant solution wearing out the screen.

Alpha.Lyrae

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
I've never use one until now. I'm giving Spigen screen protector a shot.

For my last 2 or 3 phones I've had the Belkin protectors applied at the Apple Store at the time I bought my phone - they have a machine to do it and it will be installed perfectly. This year I'm trying the Spigen GLAStR EZ Fit, which comes with a frame to align/install it.

I've been using the Spigen GLAStR screen protector on my 12 Pro Max since January and it's pretty decent. I have micro-scratches and some small nicks from hard sand on the glass protector, but they're so tiny and glass is so smooth that I don't notice them when screen is on. No weird rainbowing on the glass at various angles either (screen on).

Plus, it's a 2-pack, so I have a spare. Installation is so easy. I hate misaligned screen protectors (and dust or lint underneath) and this is pretty much as good as it gets.

Bought it again for my 13 Pro Max.

There's also full coverage screen protectors for those that go caseless, but haven't used any.

Reactions: swerve147

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I see a few posting about Zagg, so i'm going to post what I put in the other thread....

Honestly i'd stay away from Zaggs InvisibleSHIELD. The price is high and the quality has gone down hill. The warranty replacement price has jumped to $7.99 for shipping (it used to be free, then $3, then $5) and most recently, they are denying warranties more and more. I am actually blocked from ever claiming warranty with them again because they claim I had too many warranty claims. (each shield tended to peel after about 3-4 months)

I've been using Spigen Products as well as the arae brand from Amazon and they work the same and are much cheaper to replace.

Reactions: deeddawg

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Had iPhone 4, 6, 6s, X and never used screen protector.

However ever since they started doing nice trade in deals, I prefer not having deep scratches which happened to me once and disqualified me from a trade in promotion.

ever since then, i’ve been into screen protectors.

Now debating between 3pack of ESR screen protectors or 1 pack of FloLab screen protector. I never drop my phone but not sure which to pick.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
My questions would be:

1. Why wouldn’t you use a tempered glass screen protector?

And

2. What advantages do you have from not having one on your phone?
I use one, but the feel of the glass without one is much better, so I understand those that don't want one.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Started with iPhone 4s. Never used a screen protector through iPhone 12. Never "babied" any iPhone model. And never, ever had any screen or scratch issue. And I regularly clean the iPhone screen with paper toweles and glass cleaner.

iPhone glass is robust. You simply do NOT need a screen protector. Also, you are wasting your money by purchasing them. You'll never recoup the cost of screen protectors with your perceived increase in trade-in value, which is nonexistent.

I say again, you do not need a screen protector. Waste of time, waste of money.

BrandonMatt0718

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
New York
You’ve been able to discern a difference in feel between the glass of the bare screen and the glass of a decent tempered glass screen protector?

That. Is. Impressive. :cool:
I can feel the difference, too. It's discernable, especially if you've used it with and without a protector. I find my finger slides differently across the screen. The bare screen is a bit more grippy against your finger tips, and also the temperature feels cooler.

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Never used a screen protector on any phone since my first (4S). Have had a few drops on my 6S and XS, even a couple facedown on concrete/asphalt, but the Apple leather cases protected them. No scratches. Edit: it lives in my pocket when walking around, but I never put anything else in that pocket.

Last edited:

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
I always use one all my life. I’m getting applecare this year. No screen protector for me. Honestly I end up spending $100 on screen protectors during the life of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.