Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Yes I know that probably better than anyone. My point was that the OLED screens clearly have problems and they aren’t really an upgrade over LCD.
OLED screens are (in my opinion) far preferable to even the best LCD screens, but yes each technology has its draw backs. Emissive technology is always fundamentally better than transmissive regardless of manufacturing variance issues.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Went to another store today. Again, all three 13 were darker on the right side. Mine was also the brightest of them all. I'm even happier now. If you can, really go to see some demo units you guys.

Reactions: jjamesv

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
These tint photos would be an INSTA return for me

I’m getting irritable just looking at posts with it lol

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Consider that long exposure night photos would accentuate this effect. In real life it's probably less noticeable.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Getting my 13 pro max replaced, greys are lifeless, red and yellow tint, the grey circles behind the numbers look lifeless compared to the 12 pro Max. both on same brightness, no True Tone, no night shift, auto brightness off, only difference is the 12 pro max has bold text on, compared it to other 13 pro max in store, my greys looked terrible, screen was way warmer and red as well.

View attachment 1853803
I just compared my 13 Pro Max against the photo you posted and on the phone dialer, the text on my display has a lot more weight to the lettering then your 13 Pro Max. My display looks uniform and I don’t see any tinting issues. It is a keeper.

Reactions: LFC2020

Risingsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
I'm gonna a break in test for 100 hours to see if it helps with the uniformity. Read that OLED needs time to settle in or stabilise. Many anecdotal evidence to suggest that peoples OLED TVs were more uniform after breaking it in, so they suggest buyer to do that before immediately returning it. Whether or not this is true, I will run the test anyways and report back on my findings. Lockdown where I live so I don't use my phone that much, I can just leave it running a colour loop for hours without too much hassle.
I’m curious to see the results of your break in period. My phone is similar to yours and wondering if I should wait or just give up and play the panel lottery again.

jjamesv

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Went to another store today. Again, all three 13 were darker on the right side. Mine was also the brightest of them all. I'm even happier now. If you can, really go to see some demo units you guys.

Now that I’ve been dragged in here, I may have to do just that.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I’m curious to see the results of your break in period. My phone is similar to yours and wondering if I should wait or just give up and play the panel lottery again.
I ran it for maybe 8 hours but sorta gave up, because I decided to keep it anyways. Decided it probably wasn't worth going though the hassle since the issue is on present in a very specific circumstance, at 0% brightness displaying a grey colour. At any other condition it is not an issue at all and the screen is perfectly uniform, no tints no nothing. Might end up worse returning for another one.

Earlier in the thread it seems people are now starting to report uniformity issues when displaying white, when the thread started only talking about grey uniformity. If that is the case then that must mean I have a good panel and more the reason to keep it.

Funnily enough, I may have the best un uniform screen since my tint is only red and only on the side two edges so you get a sorta vignetting effect. Have heard reports of people getting both red and green tints, or photos of only one side dark than the other, mine is a symmetrical pattern so it doesn't look that bad.

jjamesv

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Went in to the Apple store today and compared my 13 Pro to 3 or 4 others. Brightness and uniformity mostly the same.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Surprisingly this is the first iPhone I've had with almost perfect (to me) white and grey uniformity. Normally I end up going through 2-3 replacements of a new model to "settle" for a one which is good enough but not this time! Very impressed with the quality of the display this time around.

Reactions: Bstephens

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Surprisingly this is the first iPhone I've had with almost perfect (to me) white and grey uniformity. Normally I end up going through 2-3 replacements of a new model to "settle" for a one which is good enough but not this time! Very impressed with the quality of the display this time around.
the quality is the same. You just got lucky this time on the first phone

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Same here. Got 2 13 PM and both have uniform screens in both gray and white. I went through 2 12 PM before I got a good enough screen but still had a red tint on the bottom and the 11 PM was even worse.

Reactions: snyp1193

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Mine is bad too - very similar to the OP's. Though to be fair it took over a week to notice it, as the conditions do have to be just right.

Yesterday I was rearranging my home screens before bed. In a dark room with Dark Mode on, brightness between 10 - 25%. Jumped into the Clock app to set some alarms and noticed it immediately without looking for it. Perfectly normal usage scenario and not something I went hunting for or taking long convoluted steps to deliberately invoke, but like I say it did take over a week to notice.

I have a MacBook Air with bad image persistence and that doesn't bother me at all, so I'm able to accept an imperfect screen. Nonetheless this issue with the iPhone stuck out like a sore thumb the moment I did see it and alas now it cannot be unseen. I thought the display was excellent until then.

Unfortunately I really don't have the time, patience, or energy to play the screen lottery. Though they use a different screen tech entirely, I've done it before with iPads as well as my old 15-inch MacBook Pro. Whilst with the 15-inch MacBook Pro I did eventually get a screen that was perfect to my eye, it took over four tries. With the iPads (I played the lottery with the 4th Gen and the 12.9 in iPad Pro 2017) it was all just diminishing returns, with each display being equally as bad as the other (the iPad Pro 2017 was worse because it would take around six months for the display flaw to show up - light leakage / spotlighting on the left side of the screen).

In short, I know how deflating the whole thing can be and I've enough going on in my life at the moment, never mind trekking back and forth to the Apple Store the amount of times it'll likely take to get one that (at best) still has the issue but to a lesser extent.

So I'm a tad peeved but hoping it'll sort itself out (fat chance of that happening I know), with two conflicting thought processes saying I should be pushing for a replacement given the cost of the thing, and conversely how bad of an issue can it really be if it I never noticed it until now despite using it every day.

Last edited:

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I would like to point out for people saying they have perfect uniformity, this post started because people had uniformity issues when displaying greys at a low brightness (close to zero). At normal viewing conditions, of course the display has to be uniform if it isn't then you should probably replace it.

I think this thread has started to talk about two different things, just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. There are people comparing their uniformity of there displays to the ones in store which is not which is not what the thread was originally about. We are talking about dark mode in a dark room at zero brightness displaying grey colour. It's a different issue from regular viewing conditions.

Amabile Ricci

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2020
How about ?
204C6B33-B3FF-4D31-BFDA-5433FA60834B.jpeg

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
This is a good pic to test uniformity. Just zoom in until it fills the screen. I just noticed mine was slightly darker towards the top. I didn't notice it with the 5 percent gray test.

13D52F58-856B-4AD1-91C3-D9B27BD11EBA.png

ASquared44

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
I love the 120hz, but have noticed after a few days that the screen uniformity of my 13Pro is significantly worse than my outgoing 11Pro. This is especially evident at night with low brightness (say 10% or so). For example, in Apollo the left to right, green to red tint is extremely noticeable and irritating. I am going to return this unit but may wait a few weeks (months) for the factory to improve on this. Unless this is within tolerance for OLED displays and you have to just live with it, which would really suck since I'm not looking forward to playing the panel lotto.
HA!! I created an account here JUST to say that I have the SAME f*cking issue. I was so happy to see your post. I mean, happy that I wasn't the only one I guess. Not happy for anyone dealing with this.

I wasted 2 f*cking hours talking to Apple, and only the third person finally understood what I was telling her and agreed to replace my device. What a major pain in the ass. I ended up waiting until night-time to take a photo with my EOS M50.

My 12 Pro Max under the same conditions did not exhibit this issue. Neither did my 11 Pro Max, or Xs Max. Last year I bought 2x 12 Pro Max's (one gold, one silver). Ended up opening the silver, and after seeing the gold in-store decided to keep the silver. So I returned the gold unopened. This year I only ordered the Sierra Blue 13 Pro Max. I think next year I'll buy two again, in case I experience this same stupid display issue. Hopefully ONE of the two devices will be fine. Who knows.

Replacement device order was entered on Friday, October 1st. Still no shipping notification for replacement device. Odd, because I'd expect Apple to have some inventory set aside to handle warranty replacements due to these and other issues.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Gotta love the censorship here ?. Oh no, "strong" language! Run and hide.

Worth noting: the issue is most apparent when NightShift (maximum warmness) and Dark Mode are enabled, and with absolute minimum display brightness (e.g. while in bed, with lights out, reading things until I fall asleep). Also visible at slightly higher brightness levels.

Attachments

• iPhone 13 Pro Max - Photo Taken Canon EOS M50 copy.jpg
    iPhone 13 Pro Max - Photo Taken Canon EOS M50 copy.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Reactions: Risingsun

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
HA!! I created an account here JUST to say that I have the *SAME* issue. I wasted 2 ****ing hours talking to Apple, and only the third person finally understood what I was telling her and agreed to replace my device. What a major pain in the ass. I ended up waiting until night-time to take a photo with my EOS M50.

What a massive pain in the ass. My 12 Pro Max under the same conditions did not exhibit this issue. Neither did my 11 Pro Max, or Xs Max.
Wow that’s really bad.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
HA!! I created an account here JUST to say that I have the SAME f*cking issue. I was so happy to see your post. I mean, happy that I wasn't the only one I guess. Not happy for anyone dealing with this.

I wasted 2 f*cking hours talking to Apple, and only the third person finally understood what I was telling her and agreed to replace my device. What a major pain in the ass. I ended up waiting until night-time to take a photo with my EOS M50.

My 12 Pro Max under the same conditions did not exhibit this issue. Neither did my 11 Pro Max, or Xs Max. Last year I bought 2x 12 Pro Max's (one gold, one silver). Ended up opening the silver, and after seeing the gold in-store decided to keep the silver. So I returned the gold unopened. This year I only ordered the Sierra Blue 13 Pro Max. I think next year I'll buy two again, in case I experience this same stupid display issue. Hopefully ONE of the two devices will be fine. Who knows.

Replacement device order was entered on Friday, October 1st. Still no shipping notification for replacement device. Odd, because I'd expect Apple to have some inventory set aside to handle warranty replacements due to these and other issues.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Gotta love the censorship here ?. Oh no, "strong" language! Run and hide.

Worth noting: the issue is most apparent when NightShift (maximum warmness) and Dark Mode are enabled, and with absolute minimum display brightness (e.g. while in bed, with lights out, reading things until I fall asleep). Also visible at slightly higher brightness levels.
Turn off True Tone and night shift.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
3 different pro maxes with a grey screen. Left one definitely had the red going on

Attachments

• 071D25F5-225A-4061-9F76-E34DD2795B5B.jpeg
    071D25F5-225A-4061-9F76-E34DD2795B5B.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 681
  • Wow
Reactions: slplss

ASquared44

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
Turn off True Tone and night shift.
LOL, so helpful :).

I tried that, and it does seem to "fix" the issue. By fix I mean "mask" or "not highlight". The underlying issue remains. I shouldn't have to turn those two things off. And the settings I described I used on my 12 Pro Max for 10 months with zero issues :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.