Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 14 could offer better battery life and feature Wi-Fi 6E connectivity thanks to a new 5G chip, supply chain sources claim.

iphone-12-5g.jpg

Taiwan's Economic Daily News reports that TSMC has obtained all of Apple's orders for its 5G radio frequency (RF) chips for the iPhone 14 lineup, taking over from Samsung. The chips, likely related to Apple's selection of Qualcomm's Snapdragon X65 modem, are purported to be produced using TSMC's 6nm process, which the supplier announced last year. TSMC said that the 6nm process for 5G RF chips can provide a physically smaller chip with lower power consumption.

The 6nm RF process enables the chip to use less power on both sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G bands while still providing a high level of performance. As well as being more efficient, shrinking the large RF transceiver component inside the iPhone is expected to free up space. Each additional square millimeter of space that is reclaimed is purported to create more room for a larger battery. Together, the improved efficiency and miniaturization of the RF chip are said to result in better overall battery life.

The RF transceiver chip is also reported to feature support for Wi-Fi 6E, in line with previous rumors claiming that the iPhone 14 lineup will support the upgraded connectivity. Wi-Fi 6E offers the features and capabilities of Wi-Fi 6, including higher performance, lower latency, and faster data rates, extended into the 6GHz band. The additional spectrum provides more airspace beyond existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, resulting in increased bandwidth and less interference.

In 2019, Apple and Qualcomm settled a legal battle and reached a multiyear chipset supply agreement, paving the way for Apple to use Qualcomm's 5G modems. A court document from the settlement revealed that Apple was planning to use the Snapdragon X60 modem, manufactured by Samsung, in the iPhone 13 lineup, followed by the Snapdragon X65 modem in the 2022 iPhone lineup.

Starting in 2023, Apple is expected to move away from Qualcomm's chips and implement its own custom-designed 5G modem in the iPhone.

The X65 is the world's first 10 Gigabit 5G modem and antenna system for smartphones, enabling theoretical data speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second. While real-world download speeds will likely be much slower than that, the X65 has other benefits such as improved power efficiency, enhanced coverage for both mmWave and sub-6 GHz bands, and support for all global commercialized mmWave frequencies.

Apple's pivot away from Samsung toward TSMC to manufacture its RF chips for 2022's iPhone lineup appear to be part of the final solidification of the iPhone 14's supply chain ahead of the start of mass production. Simultaneously, Foxconn has begun trial production of the iPhone 14 Pro.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Could Have Better Battery Life Thanks to New 5G Chip

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Can't wait for Wifi 6e to finally be on a iPhone. 1 Gbps+ and less interference.

5G: the thing you use once with Speedtest, then switch off and forget.

Not around me and not for many people. Have great 5G UC and UW from T-Mobile & Verizon. Generally it's 250 Mbps, often over 500 Mbps.

GuruZac

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2015
It's a shame even with the promoted benefits of 5G, I still get worse than LTE speeds in my area. My 13 Pro pretty much say 5G all the time, but I don't really have 5G. It's slow as hell in Johnson City, Tennessee. But you wouldn't know that if you looked at a map.

Also, the picture in the OP reminded me, why in the hell does Apple not show battery percent on the 13/13 Pros with their narrower notch. There is literally plenty of space.

MayaUser

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2021
From the "Samsung making fun of iphones battery back in the iphone 4/5 days" now to the "iPhone is the king in battery life"

GuruZac

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2015
Awesome!

I’m glad that Apple continues to both improve the battery technology as well as optimize iOS for more efficient power consumption every single year so that we can continue to get all-day and oftentimes multi-day use of the battery on our iPhones
My wife's 13 Pro Max will literally go 3 days between charges and she's on her phone a lot. Granted, she does not watch YouTube videos nor play video games, but the screen-on time is ridiculous. Even with a day of heavier usage for me, I still end the day with 50% plus on my 13 Pro.

Reactions: JustinCymbal

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder how much does ‘better battery’ life actually convert into how much more usage for the iPhone user?

mongobongo

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
I have a sliver of hope for iPhone 14 Pro having insane battery life. Not because of this modem but because of the rumour that it will have no camera bump, completely flush cameras. Surely this will mean that the phone will be thicker rather than the cameras much thinner!?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

The iPhone 14 could offer better battery life and feature Wi-Fi 6E connectivity thanks to a new 5G chip, supply chain sources claim.

iphone-12-5g.jpg

Taiwan's Economic Daily News reports that TSMC has obtained all of Apple's orders for its 5G radio frequency (RF) chips for the iPhone 14 lineup, taking over from Samsung. The chips, likely related to Apple's selection of Qualcomm's Snapdragon X65 modem, are purported to be produced using TSMC's 6nm process, which the supplier announced last year. TSMC said that the 6nm process for 5G RF chips can provide a physically smaller chip with lower power consumption.

The 6nm RF process enables the chip to use less power on both sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G bands while still providing a high level of performance. As well as being more efficient, shrinking the large RF transceiver component inside the iPhone is expected to free up space. Each additional square millimeter of space that is reclaimed is purported to create more room for a larger battery. Together, the improved efficiency and miniaturization of the RF chip are said to result in better overall battery life.

The RF transceiver chip is also reported to feature support for Wi-Fi 6E, in line with previous rumors claiming that the iPhone 14 lineup will support the upgraded connectivity. Wi-Fi 6E offers the features and capabilities of Wi-Fi 6, including higher performance, lower latency, and faster data rates, extended into the 6GHz band. The additional spectrum provides more airspace beyond existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, resulting in increased bandwidth and less interference.

In 2019, Apple and Qualcomm settled a legal battle and reached a multiyear chipset supply agreement, paving the way for Apple to use Qualcomm's 5G modems. A court document from the settlement revealed that Apple was planning to use the Snapdragon X60 modem, manufactured by Samsung, in the iPhone 13 lineup, followed by the Snapdragon X65 modem in the 2022 iPhone lineup.

Starting in 2023, Apple is expected to move away from Qualcomm's chips and implement its own custom-designed 5G modem in the iPhone.

The X65 is the world's first 10 Gigabit 5G modem and antenna system for smartphones, enabling theoretical data speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second. While real-world download speeds will likely be much slower than that, the X65 has other benefits such as improved power efficiency, enhanced coverage for both mmWave and sub-6 GHz bands, and support for all global commercialized mmWave frequencies.

Apple's pivot away from Samsung toward TSMC to manufacture its RF chips for 2022's iPhone lineup appear to be part of the final solidification of the iPhone 14's supply chain ahead of the start of mass production. Simultaneously, Foxconn has begun trial production of the iPhone 14 Pro.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Could Have Better Battery Life Thanks to New 5G Chip
my 13 pro gets really good battery life now no complaints

JM

Contributor
Nov 23, 2014
What power efficiency with x65? I don’t remember the battery getting eaten up so quickly on 4g cell service. The 11 I had was great. (Tell me why I’m wrong, please. Because I’m not thrilled with battery life on cellular usage. It’s awful compared to wifi and past iPhones I’ve had.)

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
Every square millimeter? That’s insane. I guess that’s obsessive attention to detail to be the world’s most popular smartphone maker.

That being said, this iPhone 14 lineup might finally make me switch from the 11 Pro I have now. No camera bump and better battery alone are convincing enough. I just wonder how well the apple designed modem is going to do, and how they’re going to get around the patent trolls that exist in the 5G space now. I guess we’ll see.

schneeland

macrumors regular
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
Sounds like a good development to me. 5G adoption has recently started to pick up a bit over here, and since iPhones often have longer life spans, it'll probably be relevant enough at some point while the device is still in active use.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68030
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The 5G coverage in my area is so spotty, and isn't much better the further into the city you go.

I actually turned off the function once I got my iPhone 13 to avoid unnecessary battery drain trying to latch onto those signals.
Same. 5G in Denver is atrocious.
I recently updated my AT&T plan that would afford cellular coverage on Mexico. Doing so, placed me on 5G for the first time. What a nightmare. My 13 Pro has never been more useless.

That said, I’ve never had better battery life in a handheld. Often go to bed with 50% battery remaining. If I had a choice, I’d prefer AT&Ts 5G improved more than Apple’s battery. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.