Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Every square millimeter? That’s insane. I guess that’s obsessive attention to detail to be the world’s most popular smartphone maker.

That being said, this iPhone 14 lineup might finally make me switch from the 11 Pro I have now. No camera bump and better battery alone are convincing enough. I just wonder how well the apple designed modem is going to do, and how they’re going to get around the patent trolls that exist in the 5G space now. I guess we’ll see.

They'll deal with it. Using their army of lawyers.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I guess no one realise that X65 was scheduled to be on 4nm. As noted even on Qualcomm's product page. So how did it become a 6nm product? The 6nm product is actually a Cost reduction node from 7nm.

>The RF transceiver chip is also reported to feature support for Wi-Fi 6E

What?

Edit: OK I decide to read the actual Economic Daily News. I am giving macrumors some benefits of doubt due to translation error. Although the Qualcomm part has absolutely nothing to do with the news and it is all Macrumors fault, or likely some other media reporting, the whole echo chamber on Qualcomm X65.

This is RF only, i.e Qorvo, Skyworks or Broadcom. Nothing to do with Qualcomm Modem.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
13 series have already great battery life. 12 series were bad in that regard.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Could it have usb c? No matter how big the battery is, or how efficient the radi, is it will die eventually.

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018

The iPhone 14 could offer better battery life and feature Wi-Fi 6E connectivity thanks to a new 5G chip, supply chain sources claim.

iphone-12-5g.jpg

Taiwan's Economic Daily News reports that TSMC has obtained all of Apple's orders for its 5G radio frequency (RF) chips for the iPhone 14 lineup, taking over from Samsung. The chips, likely related to Apple's selection of Qualcomm's Snapdragon X65 modem, are purported to be produced using TSMC's 6nm process, which the supplier announced last year. TSMC said that the 6nm process for 5G RF chips can provide a physically smaller chip with lower power consumption.

The 6nm RF process enables the chip to use less power on both sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G bands while still providing a high level of performance. As well as being more efficient, shrinking the large RF transceiver component inside the iPhone is expected to free up space. Each additional square millimeter of space that is reclaimed is purported to create more room for a larger battery. Together, the improved efficiency and miniaturization of the RF chip are said to result in better overall battery life.

The RF transceiver chip is also reported to feature support for Wi-Fi 6E, in line with previous rumors claiming that the iPhone 14 lineup will support the upgraded connectivity. Wi-Fi 6E offers the features and capabilities of Wi-Fi 6, including higher performance, lower latency, and faster data rates, extended into the 6GHz band. The additional spectrum provides more airspace beyond existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, resulting in increased bandwidth and less interference.

In 2019, Apple and Qualcomm settled a legal battle and reached a multiyear chipset supply agreement, paving the way for Apple to use Qualcomm's 5G modems. A court document from the settlement revealed that Apple was planning to use the Snapdragon X60 modem, manufactured by Samsung, in the iPhone 13 lineup, followed by the Snapdragon X65 modem in the 2022 iPhone lineup.

Starting in 2023, Apple is expected to move away from Qualcomm's chips and implement its own custom-designed 5G modem in the iPhone.

The X65 is the world's first 10 Gigabit 5G modem and antenna system for smartphones, enabling theoretical data speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second. While real-world download speeds will likely be much slower than that, the X65 has other benefits such as improved power efficiency, enhanced coverage for both mmWave and sub-6 GHz bands, and support for all global commercialized mmWave frequencies.

Apple's pivot away from Samsung toward TSMC to manufacture its RF chips for 2022's iPhone lineup appear to be part of the final solidification of the iPhone 14's supply chain ahead of the start of mass production. Simultaneously, Foxconn has begun trial production of the iPhone 14 Pro.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Could Have Better Battery Life Thanks to New 5G Chip
I’m pretty sure the same was said for the 13 and the x60 yet no one seemed to credit it for the 13’s vastly improved battery life over the 12 once the 13 actually was released and reviewed… did everyone forget?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I’m pretty sure the same was said for the 13 and the x60 yet no one seemed to credit it for the 13’s vastly improved battery life over the 12 once the 13 actually was released and reviewed… did everyone forget?
Because it added about two hours. In real world use most people don’t notice.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
It's a shame even with the promoted benefits of 5G, I still get worse than LTE speeds in my area. My 13 Pro pretty much say 5G all the time, but I don't really have 5G. It's slow as hell in Johnson City, Tennessee. But you wouldn't know that if you looked at a map.

Also, the picture in the OP reminded me, why in the hell does Apple not show battery percent on the 13/13 Pros with their narrower notch. There is literally plenty of space.
Where I live in rural NC, I moved to T-Mobile 5G internet service and even with just two bars on the gateway, I’m getting 305Mbps down and 23.1Mbps up, which is faster than Spectrum and costs me a third less.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
is there a noticeable difference?
Can't really say, to be honest. I'm rather OCD when it comes to tweaking settings on my devices to maximize battery life (or the illusion of maximizing it), so it was the first thing I did when I got my phone.

Being on a 13 mini, which admittedly has the weakest battery of the batch, and knowing that AT&T is rather bad when it comes to their signal strength and availability (former employee), figured it was worth it from the get go.

Reactions: alexandr

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
An iPhone 14 mini sure would be nice with the added battery life even above the 13 mini, would love to upgrade my 12 mini...

(And yes I know the rumors say it won't happen and yes I know the sales weren't amazing, but I know I'd love it if it did magically exist)

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Can't really say, to be honest. I'm rather OCD when it comes to tweaking settings on my devices to maximize battery life (or the illusion of maximizing it), so it was the first thing I did when I got my phone.

Being on a 13 mini, which admittedly has the weakest battery of the batch, and knowing that AT&T is rather bad when it comes to their signal strength and availability (former employee), figured it was worth it from the get go.
I'm the same way — I watched a dozen videos and did 95% of what they suggested. Somehow I'm still not very impressed with 13 pro's battery life. Coming from a 3 year—old XS, I expected to see a noticeable improvement. Haven't disabled 5g yet, but even when at home and on wifi the battery life is not super great...

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
I have 5G turned on always on my 13 Pro. I guess it's spotty coverage near my home, but when I'm working onsite/away from home I do get better coverage near the city. My 13 Pro has amazing battery life. I've forgotten to plug it in at night after using all day, and I can still make it to dinnertime or so until I have to recharge.

To improve on this battery life would def get my wife off her 12 Pro, which has much worse battery life than mine.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
This is the big one for me, USB-C. The data transfer speed for lightening I believe is still using USB2 speed. For a 512GB to 1TB and rumoured 2TB storage phone this is slow. I think it’s time for USB-C.
I would upgrade just for that alone. Interesting Apple has a 'Pro' iPhone that can shoot in ProRes and ProRAW while still using a USB 2.0 speed lightning connector... makes no freaking sense. The year to add it would have been with the 13 Pros. If they are so inclined, introduce it for to the 14 Pro models then offer it on all iPhone 15 models in typical Apple fashion.

Reactions: code-m

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Well I hope this new modem is better than the X55 Qualcom modem in my 12 mini. If I lose reception like going underground, it takes forever to regain reception, or sometimes does not at all, and I have to put it in airplane mode and then turn off airplane mode to get reception again. Very annoying as miss calls etc. Never had this issue with my older iPhones (6s+, 8+ and even the SE2 with a intel modem).

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
All the people saying that 5G is useless haven't really used mid-band 5G. The low-band 5G that is just reusing LTE frequencies doesn't do much except give the cell providers more bandwidth to sell the same towers to more customers but I'm using T-Mobile's mid-band service as an internet gateway and it is pretty awesome. I get 500-600 Mbps with no caps for $50/month. On my iPhone 12 Pro, whenever I drop off of 5G now the phone seems slow. Once you get used to real 5G you'll notice the difference.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
5G: the thing you use once with Speedtest, then switch off and forget.
Yep. We don’t have 5G where I live but whenever I travel to a larger city that has it, I’m surprised at how slow it is. 4G at my house is way faster than any 5G I’ve seen. I know that’s not always the case and I’m sure 5G can be fast. It just isn’t always yet.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Yep. We don’t have 5G where I live but whenever I travel to a larger city that has it, I’m surprised at how slow it is. 4G at my house is way faster than any 5G I’ve seen. I know that’s not always the case and I’m sure 5G can be fast. It just isn’t always yet.
When I've tested low-band 5G it was always slower than using LTE in the same location. That makes some sense because low-band 5G is using the same frequencies as LTE and sharing the same bandwidth. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that cellular providers are still making sure that LTE gets the highest performance in those cases since many people don't have 5G yet.

Since T-Mobile has turned on their mid-band sub-6GHz service, 5G is actually very good and noticeably better than LTE. Verizon is just starting to turn on their mid-band 5G and I think AT&T is close as well. That will make a lot of difference.

Reactions: thebeans

ADiddy88

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
5G has been improving where I live(Hamilton ON). Used to get around 400-500mbps, but now it’s up to over 700.
A1A3A575-A09A-425D-A880-CB1D5A9EAC25.jpeg

Reactions: mofoliar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.