Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus feature a more repair-friendly design with a removable back glass panel, allowing customers to more easily make aftermarket modifications to the device. Already, someone has modded an iPhone 14 with a transparent back glass panel that reveals various components inside the device.

iPhone-14-Rear-Charging-Coil-Feature-NF.jpg

The transparent back glass reveals the battery, wireless charging coil, logic board, Taptic Engine, internal side of the Lightning connector, and more. The modded iPhone 14 even has a custom rear camera housing with a frosted finish.

The photo of the modded iPhone 14 was shared today by a few Twitter accounts, but we have yet to pinpoint the original source.

iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus are the first models with easily removable back glass since the iPhone 4S. It is likely that many colorful and transparent back glass panels will emerge for hobbyists over time, just like in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S days. Back in 2011, someone even modded the iPhone 4 to feature a glowing Apple logo on the back.

One potential obstacle to aftermarket mods is that Apple requires technicians to complete "System Configuration" after replacing the back glass on iPhone 14 models, according to internal documentation obtained by MacRumors. It's not clear yet what happens if this software calibration process is avoided — possibilities could range from a simple non-genuine part warning in iOS to functionality like wireless charging being impacted.

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max do not feature a removable back glass panel.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Modded With Transparent Back Glass Panel to Reveal Internal Parts

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I've always liked transparent plastic for tech, but compared to the age of Game Boys or DualShock 2 controllers, modern tech is so... dull to look at in this way. It's just a big black battery and the charging coil.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Ooo, an actual black back would be nice on the 14 Pro with the black stainless steel. 👀

Edit: never mind, Pro isn’t removable back.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I've always liked transparent plastic for tech, but compared to the age of Game Boys or DualShock 2 controllers, modern tech is so... dull to look at in this way. It's just a big black battery and the charging coil.

I've always thought it was hideous. ESPECIALLY that frosted plastic on old games stuff, the coloured stuff even worse, yuck.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
The wireless charging induction coil looks like a subwoofer cone. I'd rather have that than the coil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.