Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velorapide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Yeah, I'd be interested in the results here.

I suspect the microphone is not being engaged by CarPlay in the car hardware and is utilizing the phone microphone still. I've noticed when I pick up the phone closer to me the person on the receiving end of the call hears me better. Anyone with that same experience?
Follow up. This is not the case. Moving the phone closer does not help. So it seems that CarPlay is not determining the correct levels for the car-centric microphone hardware and the phone microphone is indeed not still being engaged.

Evilcreedy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Having the same problem with my 14 pro on a wireless setup using zlink in a bmw.
Driving me mad thinking it was a setting. Glad to see others having the same issue, as it will get fixed.

Reactions: levcher and GDMcG

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Having the same problem with my 14 pro on a wireless setup using zlink in a bmw.
Driving me mad thinking it was a setting. Glad to see others having the same issue, as it will get fixed.
Hopefully it’s not a hardware issue with the 14’s as it only seems to be affecting the new devices.

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Same. iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.0.1. Mazda CX—5: Microphone built into car does not engage. Uses iPhone Mic instead. CarPlay speaker okay. Just uses wrong mic.

i:hone 12 Pro works fine.

Huss797

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
iphone 13 pro here .. upgraded to ios 16 and suddenly i cant hear anyone in calls in carplay and they cannot hear me at all. when changing to speaker or iphone the sound is normal. never had any issues prior to ios16

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Running 16.0.2 and can confirm that this issue has now been fixed for me.
Not here/ 10/0/2 and still sounds like a whisper. IP Pro 14 in Lexus wireless carplay where the 13 pro sounded fine even after ios 16 updated the 13. Something in the 14 I think mostly.

Last edited:

millmax

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
uk
What's everyones thoughts on a warranty claim? Don't think putting up with the problem for 12 months is acceptable. But, would a change of handset sort the problem? You could be as unlucky with a new replacement handset. Its worth pointing out if you got back through the Apple communities forum this issue has popped up for the last few years on various models..

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Not here/ 10/0/2 and still sounds like a whisper. IP Pro 14 in Lexus wireless carplay where the 13 pro sounded fine even after ios 16 updated the 13. Something in the 14 I think mostly.
I certainly hope it’s not a hardware issue or if it is it’s just an issue that needs to be fixed on iOS 16 on the iPhones 14. I am now curious if this might relate to how we migrated to the new devices. I performed a device to device transfer from my iPhone 13 to 14 rather than an iCloud restore. Anyone else perform an iCloud restore that is seeing this issue?

millmax

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
uk
I certainly hope it’s not a hardware issue or if it is it’s just an issue that needs to be fixed on iOS 16 on the iPhones 14. I am now curious if this might relate to how we migrated to the new devices. I performed a device to device transfer from my iPhone 13 to 14 rather than an iCloud restore. Anyone else perform an iCloud restore that is seeing this issue?
Good question, I done device to device. Maybe people could chip in to see if it may be a result of the way you have migrated your data.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
device to device, but I also did a device to device on a 14 max pro and no issues in a Ford car with wireless carplay on that one. this is a weird issue. I did remove the device and re sync it with the 14 pro/lexus and still bad. Some calls much worse than others too. But overall barely audible. too bad you can't just use Bluetooth and still use carplay without having to reload car play each time after using Bluetooth phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: millmax

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Still having issues myself on 16.0.2. The other end of the phone call says I either sound quiet or distant. Definitely never had this issue before and it works just fine over BT. Leads me to assume it is software.

bosustow

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2015
I have same issue as well for mine and wife's iphone

Me - iphone 14 pro 16.0.2 porsche macan
Wife - iphone 14 pro max 16.0.1 audi q2

Both have volume too low to listen too. Had wife pull the cable when she was in the car and it switched to bluetooth from car play and instant loudness.

My car is wireless so called her back with carplay unlinked and she said back to loud and easy to hear so carplay obviously the issue as mentioned above.

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Either everyone is getting the "Pro" versions now, or this seems to affect the Pro units mostly?

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Either everyone is getting the "Pro" versions now, or this seems to affect the Pro units mostly?
I read on the main macrumors page(Not forum) that at least one person was able to reproduce on a iphone 14 non-pro model. But yes, most people buy the pro version, when the price is not that much different, can't really blame them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.