Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Looks like a pretty significant increase in aperture. I wonder how this will affect the speed/accuracy of the autofocus. Focusing at f/1.4 is a bit of a different ballgame than focusing at f/2.8

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Can they think of a different way to arrange the camera hardware already?!

Just continuing to grow this square in the corner doesn’t seem like a sustainable design direction.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Can they think of a different way to arrange the camera hardware already?!

Just continuing to grow this square in the corner doesn’t seem like a sustainable design direction.

Unfortunately without major cropping from larger sensors it will be hard to align what each camera is doing with eachother for a seamless “zoom” experience, the way Apple currently does in the Camera app, if they are arranged a different way. The way they are currently aligned in a triangular formation minimizes parallax error.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Unfortunately without major cropping from larger sensors it will be hard to align what each camera is doing with eachother for a seamless “zoom” experience, the way Apple currently does in the Camera app, if they are arranged a different way. The way they are currently aligned in a triangular formation minimizes parallax error.
I didn’t realize that was a factor. 🤔

Reactions: MrRom92

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I think I am going to pass on this years iPhone. I just cannot get over how ugly the back of the phone is. I am sure the 15 will be similar, but they need to find a way to better balance the aesthetic with the performance.

Thick like a brick
"What are you talking about? The phones aren't too heavy... I read in bed and never drop my 14ProMax on my face, ever."

Attachments

• phonebabydollface.JPG
    phonebabydollface.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,441

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I'm 70% convinced that Apple has staggered out these camera improvements to make sure that people buy new cases... It also means any second hand cases can only be used on the model it was meant for and are only relevant for owners of that exact model.

Edited to add: this was partly said in jest - and of course this will just be part of the business plan outlaid by Apple. I'm not criticising the move, I actually think it's genius and well thought-out.
If someone is willing to shell out for a new iPhone, buying a new case shouldn’t be a big deal.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just wondering.. how are those companies able to create the covers already with exact measurements, yet no one is able to create an exact-sized rendering of the iPhone 14 before it is released? If you know the sizes, you could also design a rendering of the iPhone 14 instead of just creating cases?
Haven’t you seen the YT videos of the dummie models that case makers get? Lew from Unbox Therapy has a whole set that he measured with calipers.

He showed the cheap dummies vs the extremely real looking high quality one that he was able to get. He didn’t explain how he got the dummies, but he sells his own brand of carbon fiber cases called Later Case so I guess that’s how he gets stuff like the high quality one that’s supposed to be accurate.

He’s just one example.

DavidChoux

Suspended
Jun 7, 2022
Not everything is a conspiracy.

I'm sorry, you don't think Apple has an incentive to do this? Did you forget they also sell cases? Are you forgetting they're a for-profit company and not a charity?

The way that some people see Apple on here is bewildering sometimes. Not saying it's not a conspiracy, but it's quite reasonable to think it is!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm 70% convinced that Apple has staggered out these camera improvements to make sure that people buy new cases... It also means any second hand cases can only be used on the model it was meant for and are only relevant for owners of that exact model.

Edited to add: this was partly said in jest - and of course this will just be part of the business plan outlaid by Apple. I'm not criticising the move, I actually think it's genius and well thought-out.
I'm using an iPhone 11 case, which has a square bump cutout, on my XR which doesn't even have a camera bump.

iPhones have traditionally been redesigned every two years so you could always use the same case on the regular and S versions of each iPhone style. IRC I used the same Mophie battery case on my 3G and 3GS iPhones.

Besides, my XR's case is dirty and scratched; I would be getting a new case for my 14 Pro even if the old one fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saladin12

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is it me or has Apple gone too far in the other direction? They used to obsess with making things thin at expense to function, but now they're making things bigger without regard to the fact that some people might not want so much bulk and weight in their pocket.

They really should try to strike a balance and not keep making the phones bulkier every year.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is it me or has Apple gone too far in the other direction? They used to obsess with making things thin at expense to function, but now they're making things bigger without regard to the fact that some people might not want so much bulk and weight in their pocket.

They really should try to strike a balance and not keep making the phones bulkier every year.
All high-end smartphones have been powerful enough for a number of years so camera improvements are what sell phone upgrades. Good cameras require larger sensors and lenses; you cant escape physics.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

No way Apple times "camera improvements camera improvements to make sure that people buy new cases." Making ongoing product improvements and getting them into shipping products is a huge challenge, and Apple's intended business model is to make great products, not "to make sure that people buy new cases."

Apple's focus will be 100% on optimizing improvements to its core enterprise-critical product. Not even 1% of concern will have been given to cases, most of which are sold by third party entities anyway.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Looks like a pretty significant increase in aperture. I wonder how this will affect the speed/accuracy of the autofocus. Focusing at f/1.4 is a bit of a different ballgame than focusing at f/2.8
Very good point. Wider aperture will allow shallower depth of field (DOF). Not only will that impact focusing as you observe, but the new shallower DOF will facilitate users seeing/learning the nuances of focus and DOF. IMO over time it will be quite a big deal.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
It’ll be interesting to see what model finally stops increasing the size of the cameras and bump because there is surely a limit to how big they can get. It can’t go on getting bigger forever.
I see no real limit to how big they can get. Apple already differentiates phone models by allowing folks to buy lesser phones with lesser cameras. As long as enough folks like me are willing to accept phone size increases and pay huge prices for annually increasing in-pocket camera competence in the top iPhone models Apple will keep evolving the top of the iPhone line in that direction.

Reactions: AlexMac89

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California

I agree. I think we are approaching the limit. Battery technology is not improving rapidly enough to allow for much more expansion in battery capacity, and the cameras can only get so big until the phone is more camera than phone. I think this is an underrated appeal of the non-Pro models, that they will be thinner and lighter while still having excellent cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.