Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I have had a issue with after walking up in the morning the screen is dim and i have to move the brightness slider down then up even though it’s already all the way up for it to go bright. Anyone else having this issue.
Yes, I’ve had that issue but all I need to do is tap the brightness bar (i.e., no need to slide it) and it fixes it. I’ve had this issue as well as the other issue in this topic. So far the only fix for mine has been to turn on automatic brightness.

Reactions: Robbart3480

Peterpeter

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2022
I have had a issue with after walking up in the morning the screen is dim and i have to move the brightness slider down then up even though it’s already all the way up for it to go bright. Anyone else having this issue.
Everyone on this thread are having the same issue.

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Yes, I’ve had that issue but all I need to do is tap the brightness bar (i.e., no need to slide it) and it fixes it. I’ve had this issue as well as the other issue in this topic. So far the only fix for mine has been to turn on automatic brightness.

Just curious as I’ve always used it, but what do people have against using automatic brightness?

Robbart3480

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
Appreciate that but seems weird that it is messing up like that.

Peterpeter

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2022
I thought my was fixed because it was fine for three mornings in a row, until this morning.

Ricmax577

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
So I think I may have found the actual cause of this…try turning off optimized battery charging. I notified that this was only happening when my phone was on the charger for extended periods of time (overnight) when charging goes into ‘optimized’ mode. It seems like the delayed charging state causes issues with the always on display. So far it’s been a week and the issue is completely remedied.

Reactions: Mr.C

Flyngtp

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
I think I’ve found a fix. I turned AoD off then on again. It’s been 1 week and so far this has worked. 🤷

elvisdoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
Just like you guys, overnight charging and brightness goes to 0. It is not a case issue as I had this same problem with Apple Magsafe case as well as ESR case. Sent first 14 Pro back and replacement is doing the SAME thing. Arrrrrrgh!

• Wow
Reactions: Peterpeter

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Just like you guys, overnight charging and brightness goes to 0. It is not a case issue as I had this same problem with Apple Magsafe case as well as ESR case. Sent first 14 Pro back and replacement is doing the SAME thing. Arrrrrrgh!

I don’t think it’s a hardware issue as too many people are having the same problem. It’s more likely a bug in the software maybe as part of iOS 16. Hopefully it’s something Apple can fix as it is quite annoying. I certainly don’t want to be turning AOD off in order to prevent it.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
So I think I may have found the actual cause of this…try turning off optimized battery charging. I notified that this was only happening when my phone was on the charger for extended periods of time (overnight) when charging goes into ‘optimized’ mode. It seems like the delayed charging state causes issues with the always on display. So far it’s been a week and the issue is completely remedied.
I guess it’s the lesser of two evils, i.e., either turn off optimized battery charging or turn on auto brightness. While I really don’t like auto brightness, I don’t want to turn off the optimized battery charging because turning that off will likely negatively impact battery life. The real answer is Apple needs to fix this. You should let them know about the conflict with optimized battery charging as that could help them with the fix.

ojstagg93

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Had my phone replaced for a different issue. Just this morning brightness issue came back I don’t have battery optimisation either.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Turning of battery optimisation didn’t work for me. I like having the AOD so I’m not prepared to turn it off to prevent this. There really doesn’t seem to be a one confirmed fix for all. Until if and when Apple come up with a fix for this in an update I will live with turning up the brightness in the mornings.

elvisdoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
I don’t think it’s a hardware issue as too many people are having the same problem. It’s more likely a bug in the software maybe as part of iOS 16. Hopefully it’s something Apple can fix as it is quite annoying. I certainly don’t want to be turning AOD off in order to prevent it.
No it’s obviously not a hardware issue now that I see it happening on replacement phone but that was what Apple recommended. This is bigger than we know. Apple needs a software update fix asap.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
turning on auto brightness is a fix that works for all

You mean turning it off ? Either way it didn’t work for me. I certainly don’t want to be turning it off as I find it useful to see any notifications as well as the time without having to turn the phone on completely.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
You mean turning it off ? Either way it didn’t work for me. I certainly don’t want to be turning it off as I find it useful to see any notifications as well as the time without having to turn the phone on completely.
No - I mean going into settings > accessibility > display & text size > auto-brightness and then toggle that to “on”. That has worked for me and for many others on this forum. For me, when I take the phone off the charger, while it may technically be down to zero brightness, the auto-brightness feature then kicks in and automatically turns it up as it should. So, it makes sense that that would make it work. However, I really don’t like auto-brightness and anyway, the phone clearly should not work like this.

Reactions: elvisdoc

elvisdoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
No - I mean going into settings > accessibility > display & text size > auto-brightness and then toggle that to “on”. That has worked for me and for many others on this forum. For me, when I take the phone off the charger, while it may technically be down to zero brightness, the auto-brightness feature then kicks in and automatically turns it up as it should. So, it makes sense that that would make it work. However, I really don’t like auto-brightness and anyway, the phone clearly should not work like this.
Nope. This problem occurs irregardless of auto brightness setting on my 14 Pro. Stays dim until I go into settings and increase Brightness from 0, even with Auto brightness on. Reported it again to Apple this morning, as I hope everyone is. This needs to get fixed with 16.0.4.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I tried that too but then the brightness doesn’t stay consistent and is always changing which I don’t like either. I’m use to the brightness staying the same and the only time I increase it is temporarily when I’m outside in bright sunlight and I can’t see the screen.

ojstagg93

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
I have a work around. In shortcuts app make an automation set the brightness to whatever you want and set a time to action it. Make sure notify when run is selected otherwise it won’t work.
Not ideal but it seems to work.

elvisdoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
I have a work around. In shortcuts app make an automation set the brightness to whatever you want and set a time to action it. Make sure notify when run is selected otherwise it won’t work.
Not ideal but it seems to work.
For $1000+ we need to do this????? Hell no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.