Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
The periscope camera seems like the only real innovation since the iphone X (lidar, faceid, etc). Everything else has just been a series of spec-bumps over the years. And you can't even get that on the normal pro model.

Other than the meager battery and the overheating, the X was peak iPhone.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
Time to replace my 13 Pro to 15 Pro. I don't need the Max size.

Here are the things I am looking forward IF the rumors were right:
  • Lightweight titanium chassis
  • 1.55mm display bezels
  • Action Button
  • USB-C port (20Gb/s to 40Gb/s)
  • A17 Bionic chip (3nm)
  • Next-generation ultra-wideband chip (7nm)

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
The periscope camera seems like the only real innovation since the iphone X (lidar, faceid, etc). Everything else has just been a series of spec-bumps over the years. And you can't even get that on the normal pro model.

Other than the meager battery and the overheating, the X was peak iPhone.
Technology improvement is a series of small bumps over the year.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Without accounting for typical local salaries and taxes, raw $ conversion is pretty meaningless.
then there’s another theory, the economist or financial experts say everybody pays around the same amount regardless of the exchange rates. So what you said yourself is pretty meaningless. This can go around and around and around.but the fact is that if you’re paying with your own local currencies course you’re gonna feel it’s gonna be more expensive the people. EU are always complaining the prices are way too high. And other people around the world pay less they feel. That’s what they feel

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
then there’s another theory, the economist or financial experts say everybody pays around the same amount regardless of the exchange rates. So what you said yourself is pretty meaningless. This can go around and around and around.but the fact is that if you’re paying with your own local currencies course you’re gonna feel it’s gonna be more expensive the people. EU are always complaining the prices are way too high. And other people around the world pay less they feel. That’s what they feel
k. Clearly we’ll disagree (not about people complianung b/c they/we all ‘like’ to, right? ;) ) but there’s lots of data and various metrics out there to normalize enabling more valid comparisons vs the typical overly-simplified currency conversion which is nearly useless by itself. (IMO and in others but you do you/argue it if you’d like..)

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
With replies like that, why are fan sites worthless? This is why people can't believe everything people say on these sites. I can put a chart and explain why you are wrong. But I am not going to put up a visual showing an oversimplifying problem. Doesn't work in the real world.

Last edited:

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
Additionally - I feel the Pros are A) large enough and B) Pro enough 🤪 to warrant Pencil 2 (and above) support. Would make for a nice/functional differentiator between the temp Phone tiers. These devices are nearly Fields Notes-sized. Would love to see this capability hit the Pro line some day.
The Pros aren't any larger than the regular iPhone. The Max is larger, but there's a 14 Max and a 14 Pro Max. I doubt they'd add a differentiating feature to the 14 Max.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Without accounting for typical local salaries and taxes, raw $ conversion is pretty meaningless.

I was simply responding to a post that was specifically referencing U.S. prices. Convert those pre-tax U.S. prices to yen and they are about 7.5% higher than the pre-tax prices in yen for the same phones sold in Japan.

The bigger issue I see on here is when people criticize Apple pricing by comparing U.S. prices without potential purchase taxes to prices in their home country with purchase taxes. Apple isn't responsible for and shouldn't be blamed for what local governments may charge in purchase taxes (sales tax, VAT, etc.). The fairest way to look at and compare what Apple itself charges is to exclude the governments' purchase taxes.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I own shares in Apple, anyone making assumptions and personal remarks about prices, etc. doesn't matter much to me. Because of investments, I get back from profit. I can replace the iPhone and other Apple devices etc. with the profits made by Apple. Say what you like, because you're allowed to say your opinion. To me that is important. Have a great day.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
We weren't dealing with opinions. Fact: iPhones are cheap in Japan, compared to almost everywhere else. Your opinion that they aren't is embarrassingly uninformed.

IMG_3700.jpeg

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
of course, it's your opinion or assumption. (This is why you can't believe fan sites' rumors and assumptions. (above) because it's someone one side thought) It's expensive to live in Japan, especially in Tokyo. saying it's cheaper in Japan is not only wrong but how it's explained, by using other countries' currency to the yen. but that nice big blowup image guy! But it's still less meaningful. Sorry.... Say what you think. I am not going to tell you to can't. You are allowed to believe what you want. free say what you want. Have a great day.

Last edited:

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
so I have the iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB version. What would be the best way to get cashback? I remember from last year, Apple's return was teh same despite the storage space. BuyBackTronics has it currently for $975. If I spec the top o'line iPhone 15 Ultra with Apple care and Cali tax, I'm guessing it's $2300. 975 isn't even half, so I'm mulling my options...

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
You’re very welcome !
I was a little confused by some stuff when I tried iOS for the first time, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I’m guessing you will also have a similar experience when you switch to Android 😅
And sure, feel free to update me whenever you make the switch, if you want of course !

Also, speaking of the 14 Pro Max, I just got it a few months ago as my first iPhone, but I’ve been honestly really happy with it so far. Though I do have to say I’ve been quite underwhelmed by the cameras and the battery life. They are okay for my usage, but aren’t really the best. Battery life used to be really solid for me until I started installing software updates, so I think this could be part of the issue. Cameras are okay in most conditions, but there’s some sort of an over-sharpening process that is making the pictures look somewhat unnatural, which I don’t like.
The phone also always overheats when it’s on charger, and I’m not really sure why. I use Apple’s original 20W adapter (wired charging only).
But despite those issues, I’m still very happy with the phone, and I’m planning to keep it for a few years before I upgrade. I don’t really see myself going back to Android any sooner though

You’re very welcome !
I was a little confused by some stuff when I tried iOS for the first time, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I’m guessing you will also have a similar experience when you switch to Android 😅
And sure, feel free to update me whenever you make the switch, if you want of course !

Also, speaking of the 14 Pro Max, I just got it a few months ago as my first iPhone, but I’ve been honestly really happy with it so far. Though I do have to say I’ve been quite underwhelmed by the cameras and the battery life. They are okay for my usage, but aren’t really the best. Battery life used to be really solid for me until I started installing software updates, so I think this could be part of the issue. Cameras are okay in most conditions, but there’s some sort of an over-sharpening process that is making the pictures look somewhat unnatural, which I don’t like.
The phone also always overheats when it’s on charger, and I’m not really sure why. I use Apple’s original 20W adapter (wired charging only).
But despite those issues, I’m still very happy with the phone, and I’m planning to keep it for a few years before I upgrade. I don’t really see myself going back to Android any sooner though :)
hey mate, hope youre doing great!
i want to mention this, about the camera, yes the over sharping is very very very bad; i'm coming from the iphone 12PM and what a difference from the camera, i was so happy with he 12PM camera by far the absolute best.
it's been a year, me struggling with the camera that i found another solution for the HDR not to be so aggressive on the over sharping. Go to settings>photos>scroll down and turn off the "View full HDR". i hope this helps.

About the battery life, with almost a year my battery life health is at 98% peak but thats because the Always On display i have always have it OFF.
the Always On Display will drain your battery life super fast, it's crazy how i seen other people commenting about this saying that their battery life's are at late 70's and/or 80"s percentage......

im looking at google pixel 8 and galaxy s24U, will see which one i decide to go to tho :) :) :)

talkin73

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
I’m one of those die hard annual upgraders and have done so for at least 10 model cycles. The difference from 14 pro to 15 pro is an easy pass.

All the difference between them are likely to add up to an imperceptible impact for the end user… basically a list of 20 “it’s a tiny bit better than last model” changes with nothing of any significance.

If I charged with a cable or virtually ever plugged it in perhaps the USB-C would be compelling, but I’m wireless virtually all the way.

Obviously a different comparison for those on earlier models. Historically I would have been disappointed, but I’m actually kinda happy to sit this one out… one less person in line for those who are interested in the upgrade :) If you do upgrade, enjoy!

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
hey mate, hope youre doing great!
i want to mention this, about the camera, yes the over sharping is very very very bad; i'm coming from the iphone 12PM and what a difference from the camera, i was so happy with he 12PM camera by far the absolute best.
it's been a year, me struggling with the camera that i found another solution for the HDR not to be so aggressive on the over sharping. Go to settings>photos>scroll down and turn off the "View full HDR". i hope this helps.
Thank you for the tip ! Will definitely try that out 😁

About the battery life, with almost a year my battery life health is at 98% peak but thats because the Always On display i have always have it OFF.
the Always On Display will drain your battery life super fast, it's crazy how i seen other people commenting about this saying that their battery life's are at late 70's and/or 80"s percentage......

im looking at google pixel 8 and galaxy s24U, will see which one i decide to go to tho :) :) :)
I turned Always-On Display off ever since I got the phone. I personally never liked this feature and never even used it on Android because of how much it drains the battery. I also turned off App Background Refresh and use dark mode only, and mostly use my phone with low brightness. I’ve tried to do everything to “maximize” battery life I guess, but the phone still doesn’t last me for a whole day and I have to charge it at least once during the day. I always charge it with it’s at a 20%-30% range though, I never let the battery die completely.
Back in the first two weeks (I think I was on iOS 16.4 maybe) the phone used to last me two days without any issues. Right now it doesn’t last for one day. It has been like this ever since I updated it to iOS 16.5.1 and it keeps getting worse with every update.. I’m really hoping iOS 17 will be better in terms of battery life, even though I kinda doubt it 🙃

My battery health is still at 100% speaking of right now though. But I’d be very worried if it dropped to like 90% a year later. I have also seen very different experiences from different people with the 14 Pro Max battery health, some who had it drop only to 98-99% or still at 100% a year later, and others who had it drop to 90% and below.. but I guess this could depend on usage and charging habits, which of course differ between every person.
But because I’m not the type who upgrades every year and want to keep this phone for many years, I’m trying my best to maximize the battery life and health, so I really hope it does not drop that fast for me :)

Wish you a good luck choosing what you find more suitable !
I was mostly familiar only with Samsung phones and never tried Pixel phones before to be honest. But the difference will mostly be in the software. Google uses Stock Android, which is like the ‘Vanilla Android’ without any additions, and comes only with the default Google apps pre-installed. Samsung on the other hand uses a skin of Android they call OneUI which comes with both the Google apps and some Samsung versions of them and is a lot more feature-rich. So yeah aside from the hardware, the software is also notably different between the two, from the looks, the icons, emojis, functionality, etc.
Though from what I do know, Google’s interface is somewhat cleaner, and is not as bloated as Samsung’s, while Samsung’s has more features and customization options.
So yeah, make sure to double-check which software you’re more likely to prefer before you can make your decision. Again, wish you a good luck !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.