Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Emergency SOS via Satellite, a feature introduced with the iPhone 14 models, over the weekend saved a hiker who was injured on a trail. As reported by ABC7, Juana Reyes was hiking a remote part of the Trail Canyon Falls in the Angeles National Forest when she suffered an accident.

Emergency-SOS-via-Satellite-iPhone-YT.jpg

A part of the trail collapsed underneath her, breaking her leg. She had no cellular service, nor did the people who were with her, but she did have an iPhone 14. "Thankfully, my phone has that SOS satellite feature I was able to connect to... I'm assuming satellites," she said.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department Air Operations Section was able to get to Reyes after receiving a satellite call. She was successfully air lifted to safety using a helicopter.

According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, three iPhone rescues have been conducted over the course of the year, one of which was in the same general area. Last December, a vehicle went over the side of a mountain on the Angeles Forest Highway in the Angeles National Forest, with Crash Detection and Emergency SOS via Satellite used to contact rescuers.

Emergency Satellite via SOS is available to all ‌‌iPhone 14‌‌ users, and it can be activated when an emergency situation occurs and there is no WiFi or cellular connection available. Emergency SOS via Satellite works in the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, and the UK.

Article Link: iPhone 14's Emergency SOS via Satellite Feature Saves California Hiker

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
As good as this feature is, I wonder how many people (hundreds? thousands?) have been saved/rescued over the years with zero publicity due to a Garmin InReach or similar device. Anyone hiking remote trails (or doing similarly risky outdoor activities) should have some form of satellite communicator.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
As good as this feature is, I wonder how many people (hundreds? thousands?) have been saved/rescued over the years with zero publicity due to a Garmin InReach or similar device. Anyone hiking remote trails (or doing similarly risky outdoor activities) should have some form of satellite communicator.
Included for free vs expensive device and plans. I carried an InReach device for years. After testing my iPhone satellite connection in places I go with no cell service, I cancelled my InReach plan. Of course the Garmin does more but Garmin nickels and dimes you. Major difference is no automatic fall or crash detection with InReach

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
In related news, seatbelts in cars have saved 100 lives in the past five minutes.
While it's a mildly interesting feature, it's difficult to see how these few incidents of someone being rescued are worth reporting on.
I suppose that's true if one never leaves their basement command center. Did someone force all of you to read articles about free services that don’t interest you? Blink twice if you need help 😂

Last edited:

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I'll be interested to see if Apple eventually offers pay as you go service with a subscription for access to satellites and satellite calling anytime, as opposed to limited just to emergency SOS. I worked in the Satcom industry for a number of years and the handsets are becoming dated, with many solutions for using your smartphone on the satellite network, such as with the Iridium Go or Thuraya Satsleeve. Just a general comment about the service itself and a desire to know if such an expansion might be planned.

Reactions: SFjohn and xmach
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.