Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 15 Pro models were its most purchased smartphones in the U.S. in the first quarter of this year, according to the latest Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) report.

iPhone-14-vs-iPhone-15-Feature.jpg

The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max accounted for 22% and 23% of all iPhones sold in Q1 2024, for a 45% combined share. The iPhone 15 Plus took a 9% share of all iPhones sold, while the iPhone 15 and iPhone 14 were the third most popular, each taking 14% of the share.

The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max share hardly changed compared to the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max the same quarter a year ago. However, Apple saw sales of the base model iPhone 15 decline relative to a year ago. The overall mix of iPhone 15 models was lower, accounting for 68% of all iPhone sales.

By contrast, in Q1 2023 the iPhone 14 series had a 7% higher share of all iPhones sold, taking 75% combined. The percentages suggest that the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus were more popular than the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus over the equivalent quarter the previous year.

CIRP-iphone-14-15-quarters-compared.jpg

Noting the change, CIRP comments:
We see this as a continuation of a trend from the past couple of quarters, as the lower- priced current models give up some share to older models. The once flagship, now base iPhone 15, is no longer the leading-edge choice, as the Pro and Pro Max models take that role.
Last week, CIRP released a report indicating that new iPhone activations are down to a low not seen in the U.S. smartphone market for the last six years.

CIRP said that Apple's installed smartphone base was higher than recorded activations, but Apple's share of new iPhone activations fell from 40% to 33% over the past year, suggesting a shift away from the higher market shares Apple enjoyed in previous years.

Article Link: iPhone 15 and 15 Plus Proving Less Popular With Buyers This Year

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm going to need to knock on a ton of wood for saying this.

I think the iPhone 15 Pro is peak iPhone hardware (iOS is a different story). From a hardware perspective, I have zero complaints. The titanium is surprisingly durable - it has aged better than any aluminum or stainless steel iPhone to date. The screen is great. The cameras are great. The buttons feel good. The grip in hand feels good. USB-C is awesome. I think this is the iPhone to have for those that intend on keeping it for 3+ years.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Unless one really needs (or thinks they need) the features of the iPhone Pros, the base and Plus are much better values. So I’m sure Apple will find a way to diminish them more and push buyers to the Pros.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I don't think this is iPhone specific. The economy is just crap. Older iPhones are cheaper.
If the economy is crap, then how is it that "The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max share hardly changed compared to the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max the same quarter a year ago?"

Maybe the real reason is there aren't any real improvements from iPhone 14 and 14 Plus to iPhone 15 and 15 Plus

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I wonder when the economy will affect their product prices. They used to lower or keep prices the same while offering more. I just purchased a new condition iPhone 13 Pro Max for half the price of a 15, can't see what features would be worth another $500 on top of that. And I couldn't see paying over $1,000 for the 13 to begin with. You could say its worth an extra $500 to get it two years sooner, but I had a newish SE instead and am still happy with its performance, it just needed a new battery so I replaced it instead.

The difference between the lowest priced and highest priced phones isnt about the day to day stuff anymore, it's about what they keep you from having unless you pay more. And people are starting to accept that they don't need the highest megapixel camera or video codec. As the low end improves this will slow down sales of the higher end.

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
I'm going to need to knock on a ton of wood for saying this.

I think the iPhone 15 Pro is peak iPhone hardware (iOS is a different story). From a hardware perspective, I have zero complaints. The titanium is surprisingly durable - it has aged better than any aluminum or stainless steel iPhone to date. The screen is great. The cameras are great. The buttons feel good. The grip in hand feels good. USB-C is awesome. I think this is the iPhone to have for those that intend on keeping it for 3+ years.
I feel the same way about my 13 pro. I plan to wait for the 17 to upgrade again

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There were more viable iPhone options this year. You could choose between two 6.7-inch Plus models. If you wanted a regular 6.1-inch, you could choose between iPhone 13, 14, and 15. That diluted the sales of iPhone 15 and 15 Plus.

Last year, you had to choose between iPhone 13 or 14/Plus. The mini is not a real option for most consumers. The iPhone 12 was unappetizing due to 64GB base storage and wide notch.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
This is yet one of those things where the existing hardware exceeds the needs of the majority of folks using these devices.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro, and upgrading is pointless.

The better camera, processor, RAM, etc are relatively superfluous to me; I'm not a pro photographer, my emails and texts won't get to me any faster...

Why pay WAY more for a device that won't add any real-world value?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Shows that Apple is very successful in making people go up the product ladder to more expensive SKUs. It is very intentional and no one does a better job of that marketing scheme.
Not really - the market share of the Pros didn't increase (it's close to the same and slightly lower for the Pro Max), it's that people who didn't go Pro went for 13s and 14s this year much more than they turned to 12s and 13s last year. If anything it suggests Apple isn't doing enough with their non-pro iPhones to get people to move up the ladder.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
Actually it shows the opposite. The base 15s declined in share but not to the benefit of the Pro line. More people bought 14s and older this year.
Not true. They still sell more of the pro line then lower phones. It just shows people less likely to get the base 15 vs 14 as they aren't worth the extra money for the cheaper phones. Almost 1/2 of all iPhones were the top of the marketing ladder. That is great marketing.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I assume an increasing number of payment options help - the difference in price between the standard and the Pro models becomes negligible when it's spread over a number of months, so why not get the best phone you can and hold onto it for longer?

Reactions: Jovijoker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.