Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
You know what? So far I have really hated 5G. Ever since carriers began "upgrading" their networks to 5G, voice calling quality has plummeted. It is rare that I can make a phone call for more than 2 minutes without one of the person's voices becoming robotic and garbled. I first experienced this when I opted to switch to T-Mobile and they were the first in my area implementing 5G -- horrible voice calls. We switched back to AT&T which was good for a while, but once they got their 5G network up and running (not their fake 5Ge) the voice call quality fell apart with AT&T too.

In fact, I have found that I can do FaceTime Audio and get better voice quality consistently than I get with cellular voice now. So while the data speeds have increased it would seem at least T-Mobile and AT&T have let their voice quality fall apart.
Just this afternoon, around 2 PM or so, I was on the phone with a friend who lives not even thirty minutes from me, both on the east coast in the US, and the call quality on the cellular network was abysmal. It wasn’t great once we switched to FaceTime Audio either, admittedly, but it was at least decent enough that we were able to have a conversation without one of us being at a literal loss for words.

LightProtector

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2023
It’s funny this was posted today. I actually ran a speed test comparing my XR to my new 15 Pro Max. Exact same location and I went from 4mbps to 480mbps. I hit 600mbps when I went out today. I have tmobile. I was shocked when I saw the numbers. Absolutely bonkers.

• Wow
Reactions: Crow_Servo

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Sounds like the Pro Max (both 14 & 15) is the way to go if you want the best 5G connectivity. Never knew that. Luckily, that’s my preferred model already.

tim_apple

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2019
It's great that a phone can get 285mbps in a brief 30-second Speedtest. Hooray!

But I'd love to see 10 people do the same test all hitting the same tower at one time. Or 100 people.

Or 100 people streaming a movie on the same tower at the same time.

That would make difference, right?
If the cell tower and a 10 gigabit backhaul (many do) then those 100 people would each see 100 mbit a sec.

tim_apple

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2019
All the points so far here are valid. However, why do people need speeds over, say, 100Mbit/sec for iPhone use? Seriously. I'm honestly asking and not trying to be snarky.

I get that people always want faster speeds in general. But what are you using an iPhone for that needs 800Mbit or Gigabit speeds? Maybe uploading a video to Youtube I guess (and if the carrier supports that upstream gigabit speed) but for practically all other apps (email, text, social media, youtube, movie streaming, etc.) you should be more than fine at 100Mbit. If you're using your carrier plan as your home ISP and/or tethering through your iPhone, ok, I get that...but that's not cell phone usage.
Imagine you need to restore your phone from backup. A process that normally takes up to half an hour could be done in under a minute (in the case of mmWave for example).

LilNasX

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
The 15’s modem is definitely an improvement over the 14, it’s not just based on which carrier is better in your area. Areas in my building that were once dead zones I now get 1 bar. It gets much better signal strength.

Reactions: davidf18

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
My download speeds may be a bit faster on my iPhone 15 Pro Max than it was on my iPhone 14 Pro Max, usually about 400 Mbps (T-Mobile), BUT my upload speed is horrible. At times it is as low as 1 Mbps.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Approximately 2 miles away from downtown Miami.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

IMG_0391.png

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Note that Ookla's data covers median download speeds across the entire United States, and connectivity could vary depending on location, proximity to a major city, location of the closest cellular tower, carrier, and more. Data shared for the iPhone was collected from September 22 to October 30.
Apple users = wealthier on average = live in wealthier places = better cell phone coverage than poorer places = faster speeds.

If this data is intended to compare actual 5G speeds between different phones, they need to release data when the phones are in the exact same location. In other words, control for the location.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I don’t know how it is in the US but here in Germany, the speed your device is capable of and what you actually receive are two different things, depending on your plan. Like I can „upgrade“ my plan for an extra 5 Euro to ACCESS the 5G network on my plan but it’s still only limited to LTE speed. Other plans offer 5G network but again, you are potentially limited to 50mbit down

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
So is this because the newer and more expensive phones have faster 5G, or because people who have newer and more expensive phones on average live and work in higher socio-economic areas, which in general have better networks?

This is the problem with data that isn't attained with a controlled study to eliminate any other variables. A good scientist knows how to design and implement a good experiment.

Reactions: shpankey

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
With a Samsung Galaxy A54 lte 4G from 2020 I get about 300-310Mbps on a Spectrum 300 connection. Using test servers in Los Angeles, Washington, Mexico, Tahiti…

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
All the points so far here are valid. However, why do people need speeds over, say, 100Mbit/sec for iPhone use? Seriously. I'm honestly asking and not trying to be snarky.

I get that people always want faster speeds in general. But what are you using an iPhone for that needs 800Mbit or Gigabit speeds? Maybe uploading a video to Youtube I guess (and if the carrier supports that upstream gigabit speed) but for practically all other apps (email, text, social media, youtube, movie streaming, etc.) you should be more than fine at 100Mbit. If you're using your carrier plan as your home ISP and/or tethering through your iPhone, ok, I get that...but that's not cell phone usage.
I am sitting on a DSL at home and honestly it works fine for me at 15 mbit/sec. Since my home has a metal roof and the thick walls good luck getting 5G in the house or for matter LTE I rarely have a issue with content I want at a fairly reliable speed If I watched a streaming service I know the neighbor has it but I never seen the need and it seems to work.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.