Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
ESim is great in theory, but I travel abroad frequently for work and on more than one occasion I've bought an Airalo or Ubigi SIM that simply doesn't work, and then I can't even get my money back. It's a bad system for those who actually need to do frequent SIM changes. I'm actually in Japan right now, and I bought an Ubigi - it wouldn't activate for three days straight, leaving me no choice but to pay for expensive roaming.
While you're in Japan, then, buy an iPhone with a dual SIM slot. Or learn to live with it.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
I'm not seeing that from my phone.
Interesting. Their product page (https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-15-pro/specs/) is what the OP and I had found.
IMG_5694.png

Reactions: Paddle1

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
On the Canadian site, it says this for the pro version so no physical SIM or am I reading this wrong?

• Dual SIM (nano‑SIM and eSIM)17
  • Dual eSIM support17
  • iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max use eSIM technology and are not compatible with physical SIM cards.

Likely typo on the bottom bullet. All other supporting materials like photos show a SIM tray.

1694545579871.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorApple

canadianspeculator

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2023
While you're in Japan, then, buy an iPhone with a dual SIM slot. Or learn to live with it.
I don't live in Japan- I live in North America and travel internationally for work 2x a month, each time to different countries. In some places I've been (for example, Nigeria), E-Sim was advertised as an attractive option because dealing with a local vendor is rather onerous, however I don't find that it actually replaces that.

Reactions: arkitect

mw78

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015

Apple's new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max models all remain equipped with a physical SIM card tray outside of the United States, as a rumored eSIM-only expansion with the devices failed to materialize.

iPhone-15-SIM-Tray.jpg

Tech specs on Apple's website confirm that all four iPhone 15 models remain compatible with nano-SIM cards in countries such as the U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Singapore, Turkey, and everywhere else they are sold. In most countries, the devices also continue to support eSIM as well, allowing for dual-SIM functionality with cellular networks.

Apple removed the SIM card tray from all iPhone 14 models in the U.S. last year, forcing customers to use an eSIM, a digital SIM that allows users to activate a cellular plan without having to use a physical nano-SIM card. Apple has a support document with a list of carriers that support eSIM technology around the world.

When the iPhone 14 series launched in the U.S., Apple promoted eSIMs as being more secure than a physical SIM since they cannot be removed from an iPhone that is lost or stolen. Apple added that up to eight eSIMs can be managed in the iPhone's Settings app, eliminating the need to obtain, carry, and swap physical SIM cards while traveling. iPhone 13 and newer models can have two eSIMs active at the same time.

With eSIM availability expanding, the SIM card tray might eventually be removed from iPhones sold outside of the U.S., but for now it lives another year.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Models Sold Outside U.S. Still Have Physical SIM Card Tray
I purchased a 14 just two months ago direct from Apple in the U.S. and it came with a physical sim tray…may want to do a bit more fact checking on this story.

faythebest

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2013
Toronto
Here is another photo from Apple Canada. It shows the sim tray

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 5.42.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 5.42.17 PM.png
    833 KB · Views: 52

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So much for the claim that dropping the SIM slot was necessary to make room for other components. In reality it's just about Apple's profit margin. Why not pinch a few more pennies out of a $1200 phone.

As others have said, eSIM is nice in theory, in practice support by the carriers is inconsistent; e.g. some support transfer between devices via iCloud, others have their own arcane procedures, some require contacting customer support (which often has no idea how it works).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I imagine we’ll see it corrected pretty quick.

Nothing like adding some ambiguity to keep us guessing!

We're still waiting for the iPhone 13 mini silhouette to be removed. The Canadian iPhone 15/Plus clearly gets a SIM tray, so it makes no sense for the Pro/Max not to have one.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
In Sweden installing an esim is very easy. It's not the case in many other European countries. In Asian countries it could be much more difficult. When I travel to India I use the physical sim card ( I always have it in my sim tray). It's not easy to aquire esim in India and as I don't travel so often, physical sim is safer as losing esim with updates or resets is very likely.

Reactions: canadianspeculator

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
On the Canadian site, it says this for the pro version so no physical SIM or am I reading this wrong?

• Dual SIM (nano‑SIM and eSIM)17
  • Dual eSIM support17
  • iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max use eSIM technology and are not compatible with physical SIM cards.
"Two active eSIMs or nano-SIM and eSIM, stores eight or more eSIMs"

It has a nano SIM slot, but you can only actively use two SIMs at a time. One nano SIM and one eSIM or 2 eSIMs are your dual SIM options.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
8th time? Yeah, that's totally not normal. Never had a bad experience during my usage of it.
I came close to losing my long-time phone number and spent over 4 hours talking to Verizon support because they couldn't figure out how to activate an eSIM properly, just this past year.

Not Apple's fault, of course, but I'll take a physical SIM I can swap any time. I've heard enough reports of pain and frustration due to eSIMs. There's no reason they necessarily should be such a problem, but too often, they simply are.

• Sad
Reactions: nick42983 and mhnd

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
For service at home I don't mind using an eSIM. But for travel outside the EU it's still good to have the option to use a physical SIM. I hope next year's iPhone will still have the SIM tray, because that's when I will likely buy a new one.

I know you can get an eSIM for data roaming, and I've used one already. The downside is you don't get a phone number, which can be important if you stay somewhere for more than a few days.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I purchased a 14 just two months ago direct from Apple in the U.S. and it came with a physical sim tray…may want to do a bit more fact checking on this story.
Really? This is what Apple's tech specs say:

• Dual eSIM (two active eSIMs; stores eight or more eSIMs)17
  • iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus use eSIM technology and are not compatible with physical SIM cards.

Reactions: brucemr

Makanmata

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
I travel a lot and just carry my local cards with me. I guess if I upgrade, I will no longer be able to do that. I'm wondering what people's experience has been with local eSims? I had no idea that they were even available for some of the places I regularly travel to (i.e., Brazil, Pakistan) and wondering whether it will be more complicated than it's worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.