Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
"Two active eSIMs or nano-SIM and eSIM, stores eight or more eSIMs"

It has a nano SIM slot, but you can only actively use two SIMs at a time. One nano SIM and one eSIM or 2 eSIMs are your dual SIM options.
This is the previous verbiage, and it means nanoSIM + eSIM or 2x eSIM, exactly as you say.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I travel a lot and just carry my local cards with me. I guess if I upgrade, I will no longer be able to do that. I'm wondering what people's experience has been with local eSims? I had no idea that they were even available for some of the places I regularly travel to (i.e., Brazil, Pakistan) and wondering whether it will be more complicated than it's worth.
Even if you had all eSIMs on your phone at one point, many if not most eSIMs won't be portable to another phone when you change (or upgrade) your device. With your main carrier that might not be an issue. With eSIM from anther country it could prove to be a huge PITA.

Reactions: llrainll

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I travel a lot and just carry my local cards with me. I guess if I upgrade, I will no longer be able to do that. I'm wondering what people's experience has been with local eSims? I had no idea that they were even available for some of the places I regularly travel to (i.e., Brazil, Pakistan) and wondering whether it will be more complicated than it's worth.

It is really not that hard with esim. I was in a developing country and their local carrier had esim.
The carrier will give you a QR code to scan for setup.
I had three esim lines and I could turn each on or off depending where I am going.
Honestly its so much better than carrying sim cards.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Yup, Tim Cook penny-pinching yet again by excluding SIM trays in the U.S. in order to make more money for himself and his beloved shareholders.

Newsflash, Tim Cook: There actually are some people in the U.S. who have passports and travel abroad! Shocking, isn't it? And when they are abroad, the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get local phone service is to buy a local SIM card.

Not everyone is a morbidly rich corporate scumbag like you, Tim Cook, who can afford international voice and data roaming.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Well...does the Canadian phone have the same bands?
If so, I am driving across the border which is only an hour away.
Phone itself is $70 USD more in Canada with current exchange rate. And then taxes might be higher in Canada also... So $100 for the sim tray. Canadian living in the US here and moving back soon, like 1 week after the release of iPhone 15s. So no transportation cost. But still, dilemma.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
It is really not that hard with esim. I was in a developing country and their local carrier had esim.
The carrier will give you a QR code to scan for setup.
I had three esim lines and I could turn each on or off depending where I am going.
Honestly its so much better than carrying sim cards.
How about when you change phone from one to another? Say you have an iPhone and an Android? Probably a pain with eSIM vs physical SIM?

Reactions: Konrad

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Phone itself is $70 USD more in Canada with current exchange rate. And then taxes might be higher in Canada also... So $100 for the sim tray. Canadian living in the US here and moving back soon, like 1 week after the release of iPhone 15s. So no transportation cost. But still, dilemma.
Just to give Apple the middle finger.
I know...

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Even if you had all eSIMs on your phone at one point, many if not most eSIMs won't be portable to another phone when you change (or upgrade) your device. With your main carrier that might not be an issue. With eSIM from anther country it could prove to be a huge PITA.
Not to mention if you like to change phones a lot. iPhone for a month, Android next month, etc.

Reactions: Konrad and B4U

dieweener

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
I gotta say, I love the fact UK still has the SIM tray. Must like most of the comments, I travel a lot for work, but the jobs I work on usually provide us with a hideously old Android phone that has everyone’s number pre-loaded on to it, and that’s our main method of communication for two months at a time. Which means carrying around two phones at all times, and then turning on tethering every time you leave the hotel Wi-Fi. And remembering to turn it off, of course.

Once I switched my personal to e-SIM, all I have to do is transfer the numbers I need on to the SIM and then plug it in to my personal phone. Easy peasy, one phone carried with me at all time, data used like a normal phone. This I wouldn’t be able to do if there was no sim tray, but eventually I’m sure all phones will abandon sim trays, and I’ll be back to two phones like Walter White.

It’s a minute, 1st world problem to be annoyed at having to carry two phones, but man does it make life a little bit easier on the road. Now if I could find a way to mass delete the numbers out of my contacts after the job…

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
eSim is cool and handy but I prefer Physical Sim Card Tray iPhones. Especially for those who travel internationally. Makes it so much easier.
No way! I think you've got that the wrong way around. A great bonus of eSIM is that you can buy international data for pretty much all countries online, ready to go so that you do not have to mess around buying a SIM card at the airport or at a convenience store in some country where you don't speak their language and you don't have any local currency yet. There are some great deals on international eSIM data too. eSIMS are superb for international travel!

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I think Apple going eSIM only in the UK would be the only thing that could push me from the iOS ecosystem to Android...

canadianspeculator

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2023
No way! I think you've got that the wrong way around. A great bonus of eSIM is that you can buy international data for pretty much all countries online, ready to go so that you do not have to mess around buying a SIM card at the airport or at a convenience store in some country where you don't speak their language and you don't have any local currency yet. There are some great deals on international eSIM data too. eSIMS are superb for international travel!
Generally true if you're a tourist who wants to look at Google Maps and Translate. Most (all?) of the time, these plans are data only and can't make phone calls, making them useless for business travel.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I don't get the "well, in my case I've never needed an e-sim" arguments. Like, just leave the physical sim tray and you can all continue to use your e-sim, it literally wouldn't affect you to have a sim tray. It's dumb to remove a feature just for one country out of some platitude argument.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Well...does the Canadian phone have the same bands?
If so, I am driving across the border which is only an hour away.
The Canadian models support all the US frequencies except for mmWave, which still is only used in a handful of cities. I drove across the border last year to get my Canadian 14 Pro, and it works fine in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.