Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
I can imagine the mixed reviews for killing the mute switch this year.
Personally, I prefer a switch as it is now, but Apple feels they need a differentiator, so, I will loose something and earn nothing. Mute switch is mandatory for me. I am more aware of how many times a day I use it since the news broke, and I found that I use it A LOT more than I thought.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
People said the same thing about the iPhone 12 Pro Max camera features

The size of periscope modules is pretty well understood. They're not small.

LG_Innotek_Telephoto_Zoom_Camera_Module.jpg

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
I can imagine the mixed reviews for killing the mute switch this year.
Personally, I prefer a switch as it is now, but Apple feels they need a differentiator, so, I will loose something and earn nothing. Mute switch is mandatory for me. I am more aware of how many times a day I use it since the news broke, and I found that I use it A LOT more than I thought.

I have a feeling you’ll be able to use the new action button as a mute toggle, with a different vibration pattern for muted/unmuted. You just won’t be able to visually inspect or feel the state, which I doubt anyone does anyway; when I want to confirm the state I already just flick the switch.

Reactions: usagora

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Why would they make the volume down button 4x bigger than the volume up button? smh apple. its bigger than the lock button ffs

• Haha
Reactions: klasma

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Seriously disappointed, this the video shows barely rounded corners. Between that and yet even thick camera bumps it’s another yawn of a year.

Yeah, every year the camera bumps get bigger and thicker and the phones get heavier. Not exactly "progress" in my opinion. The cameras have been very good for a long time now. I'm not sure how much better they need to be, especially since software processing determines a lot of what the picture quality is like.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Even the 16 Pro won’t have periscope. The periscope module is big, similar to adding a fourth lens. Apple can’t just add it to the small 6.1-inch chassis.
Apple will probably find a way. They found a way to add sensor-shift stabilization to the 13 Pro after keeping it exclusive to the 12 Pro Max. That increased the size, but they still did it. Some Android phones have it and are similar in size to the regular Pro model. This is just a tactic by Apple to push people to step up to the Pro Max and to get a better deal from suppliers next year when the periscope lens magically becomes “feasible” for the smaller Pro.

Reactions: zapmymac

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple will probably find a way. They found a way to add sensor-shift stabilization to the 13 Pro after keeping it exclusive to the 12 Pro Max. That increased the size, but they still did it. Some Android phones have it and are similar in size to the regular Pro model. This is just a tactic by Apple to push people to step up to the Pro Max and to get a better deal from suppliers next year when the periscope lens magically becomes “feasible” for the smaller Pro.

Maybe when iPhone 17 Pro rolls around, but with the current tech, I'm not aware of any periscope phone with a display smaller than 6.6-inch.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I don't find the Apple Watch Ultra Action Button useful at all. Honestly, it seems like it's just there. The "mute" button on an iPhone is more functional.
I suppose it depends how you use it.

I liked when the switch used to be an orientation lock which for use while lying in bed is very useful. On the other hand, I turn the switch to mute when the phone is new, and don’t turn it back on. I don’t recall the last time I turned mute off, but it must be more than 10 years back.

Options are good.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Who remembers toggling the iPhone mute button to turn on the Flast Light, haha!..

FlashRing.gif

now you'll be able to really set this up, and more! :cool:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
We were "due" to upgrade last year but decided to wait until this year with the expected USB C change. Honestly been top of my wants list for years. One cable for everything I own and it couldn't come soon enough. our iPhone 11's all need batteries at this point but we will limp them along until September. Crossing fingers jumping ship to TMO nets us free phones, as they've always done.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So how will cases work with these new buttons? - cutouts for all buttons in the cases will look awful.
Back when we had touchID we had various otterbox and lifeproof cases that had a clear film over the button that still allowed the button to function. If it worked with touchid, I imagine a basic capactivie button could be handled pretty easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.