Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Historically gone for the Incipio Duo due to them having an inside silicone case which sits inside another external harder case but i'm thinking maybe Otterbox Defender XT? Protection is priority

Do I need a lens protector? I have an old X then i'm upgrading to the Pro Max which obviously have more cameras.If I do get one does it affect image/video quality?

Others have mentioned the Spiegen tough armour

I've been looking at 'drop height' with some case manufacturers mentioning 'military grade' others not.

On a side note, also looking at Apple Care + .

Any advice appreciated

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I have always been a spigen tough armor fan. My only complaint is that its little kickstand is pretty flimsy and mine have always broken off after about a year of normal use.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'd stick with the traditional Defender case because it's a true two piece design. The XT appears to have a top plastic frame that mates a rubber main body. It lacks a hard plastic frame to protect the body of the iPhone. You generally want both hard and soft materials similar to a bike helmet for max protection.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Do I need a lens protector? I have an old X then i'm upgrading to the Pro Max which obviously have more cameras.If I do get one does it affect image/video quality?
No. Lens protectors are completely unnecessary and will definitely affect image quality.

The iPhone’s lenses are made of the same sapphire crystal as that used on the stainless steel Apple Watch and Apple Watch Ultra. Other than deliberately scraping a scalpel or a drill bit across the lenses, you’re not going to scratch them.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I'd stick with the traditional Defender case because it's a true two piece design. The XT appears to have a top plastic frame that mates a rubber main body. It lacks a hard plastic frame to protect the body of the iPhone. You generally want both hard and soft materials similar to a bike helmet for max protection.
So the traditional provides more protection? How does its design differ from the XT?

I also noticed the original version doesn’t come with magnets for mag safe charging

Also seen this post which apparently the defender XT cases scratch the phone?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...one-14-plus-pro-pro-max.2356756/post-32363828

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So the traditional provides more protection? How does its design differ from the XT?

I also noticed the original version doesn’t come with magnets for mag safe charging

Also seen this post which apparently the defender XT cases scratch the phone?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...one-14-plus-pro-pro-max.2356756/post-32363828

XT is slimmer without a full plastic frame surrounding the iPhone body. Original Defender design is a full plastic frame surrounded by rubber.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.