Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is still on track to switch to under-display Face ID technology next year that will provide more usable display area on iPhone 16 Pro models, claims a new report out of Korea.

Beyond-iPhone-13-notch-less.jpg

Apple is set to transition to under-screen Face ID on iPhone 16 Pro models in 2024, followed by under-screen Face ID and an under-screen front camera on iPhone 18 Pro models in 2026, according to respected display industry consultant Ross Young.

In line with this roadmap, according to a new report from The Elec, Apple should not have any major difficulties securing the technology necessary for external light to be able to penetrate the display and enter the TrueDepth camera system that makes Face ID possible, given the current state of smartphone production processes.
From the display point of view, Underpanel Face ID has the same principle as the underpanel camera (UPC) that Samsung Display is applying to Samsung Electronics' foldable phone Galaxy Z Fold series. UPC also mounts a front camera module under the display, so the camera lens hole is not visible when the camera function is not in use. Currently, camera module specifications have been compromised at the level of 4 million pixels to implement UPC. This is because the UPC space must be divided so that some support the display screen function, and the other supports the camera function by accepting external light. Recently, the front camera specifications of premium smartphones far exceed 10 million pixels.
"If the current trend continues," the report adds, "Apple can apply Underpanel Face ID to the [non-Pro] iPhone series lineup in 2025, and apply UPC to the [Pro] iPhone series lineup in 2026."

This isn't the first time Korean-language website's predictions have lined up with a roadmap set out by Young in May 2022. Young outlined a cycle where Apple will alternate between the Pro and the non-Pro models each year when introducing revised display cutouts or new under-display technology.

The Pro models will be first to feature new display innovations, as first seen last year with the Dynamic Island exclusive to the ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ and ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ Max, while the iPhone 14 and ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus were left with the same "notch" as the iPhone 13. This year, the Dynamic Island is expected to come to all iPhone 15 models.

Based on this cycle, each configuration of display cutouts and under-screen technology will persist for a maximum of two generations on each ‌iPhone,‌ before all models in Apple's future iPhone lineups have a true unconstrained fullscreen display, which is expected to happen in 2027.

Article Link: Next Year's iPhone 16 Pro Still on Track to Feature Under-Display Face ID, Followed By Under-Display Selfie Camera in 2026

Last edited:

Jimmy_Banks

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2022
Completely hiding screen obstructions (front cameras) is the last “major” noticeable change smartphones might ever have. Excluding folding that is. It’s gonna be interesting to finally reach that point and see how things go from there
For average Joe, cell phones have replaced PCs for 99% of uses.

Something will eventually come along that replaces phones in a similar manner.

macvicta

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2021
Completely hiding screen obstructions (front cameras) is the last “major” noticeable change smartphones might ever have. Excluding folding that is. It’s gonna be interesting to finally reach that point and see how things go from there
Hopefully they go back to making them lighter and thinner. What happened to that? These things are massive bricks year after year now.

SRemington

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
Agreed. Other than that and getting rid of this stupid camera bump, it seems like there is nothing left to innovate, at least for now. Which, I think, is a reason why smartphone companies are trying to delay that development for as long as possible.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Roadmap makes sense to me. Though mapping it out like this definitely seems to take away from the magic that can happen during the announcements. We can only hope that the camera underneath is perfected by the time they’re ready to bring it to production. I dare say they’ll beat this roadmap doing it though. 😊

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
So hiding face ID under the screen means what if you're not hiding the camera at the same time? Not sure I understand that. What's the point again?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Hopefully they go back to making them lighter and thinner. What happened to that? These things are massive bricks year after year now.
Yes, please! But I do like the fact the cameras get better and the battery longer! Haha. So I'm conflicted, but yeah, they really are mini bricks. Bring back Ive!

Already giving me a reason NOT to buy the iPhone 15 lol
What's gonna be the Killer App for the 15? The USB C port? Geez, I hope not! It will def be an "S" year I'd say. refinement of the previous new physical model. Will it have more efficient chips? If so, that could be a pretty big deal for computational photography and battery life.

But the 16 will still have a hole, it'll just be a lot smaller than now. Plus I'd imagine under screen FaceID won't work as well as what we have now. How much worse will it be though? Maybe 1 percent to 10 percent? Who knows. Or maybe the advancement in the tech for FaceID will offset the fact it's under a screen and give us the same usage.

I think the smaller hole is def better for consuming content compared to the island, so if you consume a lot of content on a phone (and a lot of people do... including me!) then the smaller hole is better and then only 2 years until no hole and all screen.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Phones are commodities. You can have an amazing smartphone for $200. The lock in is iMessage. If Americans switched to a different messaging app, Apple would be finished. Europeans, and Asians, are, in general, a bit brighter than us stupid Americans, and aren't iMessageHeads. That's why Apple holds no sway there.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I'll wait for MKBHD's review to see just how good under display Face ID and cameras really are, because it's such a moot point to me anyway. I already don't like looking at myself in the mirror every morning as I get ready for work; improvements to selfie cameras aren't a selling point for me. 😂
Phones are commodities. You can have an amazing smartphone for $200. The lock in is iMessage. If Americans switched to a different messaging app, Apple would be finished. Europeans, and Asians, are, in general, a bit brighter than us stupid Americans, and aren't iMessageHeads. That's why Apple holds no sway there.
I think it's a cultural thing; no instant messenger application ever put in the effort to snag mass adoption the way it happened in other parts of the world. So the default text message app on every phone became the go-to way; text messaging is done via your cell number, and switching to something else that requests registration of some kind instead of the number you're already paying monthly for is one step too many for the average American.

Apple merely capitalized on that inherent laziness, and used it to their advantage.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
So hiding face ID under the screen means what if you're not hiding the camera at the same time? Not sure I understand that. What's the point again?
At rest, the Dynamic Island is quite large because it is covering the Face ID sensor suite and the camera. When the sensor suite goes below the display, the resting size of DI gets much smaller. Then when the camera goes too, the resting size is zero.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
The current visible front camera can already spy on us… we’re completely reliant on trusting the software to indicate that the camera is being used now.
Yep, I don’t trust the orange or red dots. Way too many coincidences over the years with suggestions in YouTube and Facebook. Example, during the Super Bowl a buddy of mine who’s a contractor and I haven’t seen in a while were talking. He mentioned he just installed a tankless water heater in his house. Tankless water heaters were about the farthest thing in my mind up to that point. Nothing led up to the discussion, only a, “Hey what have you been up to?”

Want to guess what videos started appearing in my YouTube suggestions? If you guessed the merits of tankless water heaters go to the head of the class.

Never forget the picture of Zuck with his laptop in the background and tape over the camera. That was when I stopped using Facebook. Unfortunately I use Youtube a lot. Someone, somewhere, is listening and I’m willing to bet watching.

For average Joe, cell phones have replaced PCs for 99% of uses.

Something will eventually come along that replaces phones in a similar manner.
Has to be glasses with the possible combination of glasses and watch. People “need” scrolling B.S. In front of their eyes. Glasses can provide that.

Maybe Europeans, and Asians are a bit dumber than us? Why trust third party (government sponsored) message apps when you have one built-in that at least mentions privacy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.