Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has already given order commitments to chip supplier TSMC for its second-generation 3nm chip fabrication process known as N3E, which is expected to be used in all four models of next year's iPhone 16 lineup.

iPhone-16-Side-Feature.jpg

TSMC's next 3nm node upgrade to N3E is less expensive and has improved yield compared to the Taiwanese foundry's first-generation 3nm process, N3B, which made its debut on the smartphone market with the A17 Pro chip that powers Apple's iPhone 15 Pro models. The N3E process also focuses on enhancing chip performance and power consumption.

According to DigiTimes' sources, the foundry house has already moved N3E to volume production, and plans to have the upgraded version replace N3 starting 2024. Except for Samsung, all major chip vendors will embrace N3E, and TSMC has already obtained order commitments from its customers, the largest being Apple.

Apple is receiving all of TSMC's first-generation 3-nanometer process chips this year. As early as May, Apple was known to have booked nearly 90 percent of the foundry's 3nm production for its devices. Apple is now projected to take 100 percent of TSMC's capacity in 2023, due to delays in Intel's wafer needs owing to later modifications to the company's CPU platform design plans.

TSMC is expected to see 4-6 percent of its overall sales in 2023 to come from 3nm manufacturing, thanks to huge orders from Apple for N3B chips for its iPhone 15 devices. Apple alone is expected to contribute as much as $3.4 billion in sales for the foundry this year.

TSMC also plans to move N3P to volume production in the second half of 2024, according to the report. N3P is said to offer an additional boost to N3E with 5 percent more speed at the same leakage, 5-10 percent power reduction at the same speed, and 1.04x more chip density.

All four iPhone 16 models will be equipped with A18-branded chips based on TSMC's N3E node, according to Jeff Pu, an often-accurate analyst who covers companies within Apple's supply chain. The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are equipped with the A16 Bionic chip, so a jump to the A18 chip for the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus would be significant.

Given that the iPhone 16 lineup is around a year away from launching, Pu is probably making an educated guess about the marketing names, so it remains to be seen if Apple actually moves forward with A18 and A18 Pro branding.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Series Chip Technology Moves to Volume Production

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

Apple has already given order commitments to chip supplier TSMC for its second-generation 3nm chip fabrication process known as N3E, which is expected to be used in all four models of next year's iPhone 16 lineup.

iPhone-16-Side-Feature.jpg

TSMC's next 3nm node upgrade to N3E is less expensive and has improved yield compared to the Taiwanese foundry's first-generation 3nm process, N3B, which made its debut on the smartphone market with the A17 Pro chip that powers Apple's iPhone 15 Pro models. The N3E process also focuses on enhancing chip performance and power consumption.

According to DigiTimes' sources, the foundry house has already moved N3E to volume production, and plans to have the upgraded version replace N3 starting 2024. Except for Samsung, all major chip vendors will embrace N3E, and TSMC has already obtained order commitments from its customers, the largest being Apple.

Apple is receiving all of TSMC's first-generation 3-nanometer process chips this year. As early as May, Apple was known to have booked nearly 90 percent of the foundry's 3nm production for its devices. Apple is now projected to take 100 percent of TSMC's capacity in 2023, due to delays in Intel's wafer needs owing to later modifications to the company's CPU platform design plans.

TSMC is expected to see 4-6 percent of its overall sales in 2023 to come from 3nm manufacturing, thanks to huge orders from Apple for N3B chips for its iPhone 15 devices. Apple alone is expected to contribute as much as $3.4 billion in sales for the foundry this year.

TSMC also plans to move N3P to volume production in the second half of 2024, according to the report. N3P is said to offer an additional boost to N3E with 5 percent more speed at the same leakage, 5-10 percent power reduction at the same speed, and 1.04x more chip density.

All four iPhone 16 models will be equipped with A18-branded chips based on TSMC's N3E node, according to Jeff Pu, an often-accurate analyst who covers companies within Apple's supply chain. The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are equipped with the A16 Bionic chip, so a jump to the A18 chip for the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus would be significant.

Given that the iPhone 16 lineup is around a year away from launching, Pu is probably making an educated guess about the marketing names, so it remains to be seen if Apple actually moves forward with A18 and A18 Pro branding.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Series Chip Technology Moves to Volume Production
Digitimes? I can go back to bed.

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckeee

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
The iPhone 16 lineup looks very interesting, A18 based on N3E process, stacked batteries… The only thing I’m sad about is that the four devices will be huge. I mean the regular 15 is already slightly bigger than the 14.

I wish they would release a 5.8” iPhone…
The iPhone 15 Pro is just as small in the hand as the iPhone X was. In fact, it has a smaller width. It‘s just a bit taller. So this year might be your best chance at a smaller phone, as the 16 Pro will become bigger again.

See here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?modelList=iphone-X,iphone-15-pro

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
1697197374982.png

The majority of TSMC's clients are interested in the 3nm-class process which uses the relaxed N3E node, which according to TSMC is on schedule and achieving their performance targets. N3E uses up to 19 EUV layers and does not rely on EUV double patterning of N3B at all.

Hence making the N3E process less expensive due to improved yields.

Last edited:
Reactions: surfzen21

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The iPhone 15 Pro is just as small in the hand as the iPhone X was. In fact, it has a smaller width. It‘s just a bit taller. So this year might be your best chance at a smaller phone, as the 16 Pro will become bigger again.

See here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?modelList=iphone-X,iphone-15-pro
I’m surprised that it is actually narrower!

However, when I say 5.8” would be ideal, what I mean is that screen size with the current design, which has dramatically slimmer bezels instead of big curved edges. With the current design, a 5.8” iPhone could have an overall size of an iPhone 8.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m surprised that it is actually narrower!

However, when I say 5.8” would be ideal, what I mean is that screen size with the current design, which has dramatically slimmer bezels instead of big curved edges. With the current design, a 5.8” iPhone could have an overall size of an iPhone 8.
They could call it the "iPhone mini"!

Oh, wait... 🤔

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
You are objectively not being objective.
A phone you can bend with your bear hands? History is repeating, and I see nobody being hyped.
Wait, so your litmus is that the 15 Pros bend easier than the 14 Pros? A $1000+ device, never meant to be bent deliberately, which will in fact bend, is a defect in your eyes? Wild. I’ll take a lighter, easier to hold device, with thinner bezels, more powerful CPU/GPU, better cameras, better battery life, USB-C 3.0, etc that bends easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.