Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It seems the same questions are coming up again and again, so here's an attempt to clarify some points.

What is iPhone Firmware 2.0? When can I get Applications/Enterprise Features?

iPhone 2.0 firmware is the next software update for the iPhone. It will include Enterprise features and support for the iPhone SDK and iPhone applications.

Regular customers will be able to download the iPhone Firmware 2.0 in "late June". Customers will also be able to start buying iPhone applications from the iTunes Store starting then. So for the next 4 months, your iPhone will stay pretty much the same as it did yesterday.

Read Full Article

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so what is anyones guess on how much the apps will cost for the ipod touch?

you mean iPhone 2.0 firmware? The iTunes Store apps will cost the same, of course, as it does for the iPhone.

I'd guess $20 for the 2.0 firmware, just like the previous one.

arn

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
you mean iPhone 2.0 firmware? The iTunes Store apps will cost the same, of course, as it does for the iPhone.

I'd guess $20 for the 2.0 firmware, just like the previous one.

arn

It is a huge release, so I can see them doing $20, but at the same time I feel like it'd be in Apple's interest to get as many people to upgrade as possible...maybe they'd go with the $1.99 that they did for the 802.11n upgrade to encourage adoption amongst existing iPod Touch users?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
It is a huge release, so I can see them doing $20, but at the same time I feel like it'd be in Apple's interest to get as many people to upgrade as possible...maybe they'd go with the $1.99 that they did for the 802.11n upgrade to encourage adoption amongst existing iPod Touch users?

I agree. 20$ for 5 apps, a bit much but not outrageous. $20 for a software update seems a bit much. No more than $5 i would hope, and hopefully less.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
so what is anyones guess on how much the apps will cost for the ipod touch?

Do you mean the 2.0 firmware upgrade from Apple. My guess is "cheap". Just some nominal amount like $1.99 or $5.

Or do you mean what will you have to pay for application that are sold on iTunes after y've upgraded to the 2.0 firmware. My guess is there will be many free ones and many price like current shareware (from $5 to $50) and there will be a very few quite expensive ones

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I agree. 20$ for 5 apps, a bit much but not outrageous. $20 for a software update seems a bit much. No more than $5 i would hope, and hopefully less.

The other thing too is that the iPhone/iPod Touch is going to be a long-term evolving platform, and potentially the kind of thing that 20 years from now we will credit with the same kind of revolution in computing that we credit the first Apple, IBM and Mac for. Clearly they can't keep charging $20 every single time there's a major firmware update to improve the platform...imagine if every OS X point release were $20.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
The other thing too is that the iPhone/iPod Touch is going to be a long-term evolving platform, and potentially the kind of thing that 20 years from now we will credit with the same kind of revolution in computing that we credit the first Apple, IBM and Mac for. Clearly they can't keep charging $20 every single time there's a major firmware update to improve the platform...imagine if every OS X point release were $20.

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that Apple (companies in general) had to charge since they arent on a paid subscription. Since the iphone is a monthly fee, that money goes towards the "free" upgrade. They do that with the Mac, each major increment you must pay for, while the minor ones are free.

mekopolis

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
my guess is $20 because a) it increases shareholder wealth, the purpose of apple and its business
b) because any new purchase of a touch will already have the update post late june just like the january update
c) Apple prob. believes that most, if not all (exluding a few who will remain jailbroken) will opt to particpate in the new App Store..and $20 is worth it
d) you have 4 months to count and save your pennies
e) they can do whatever they want -->refer to c).
f) if you want to make your money back, buy shares of stock in the company, and when you sell, deduct your capital gains tax, and wholla, you have your money back

rckstwrz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
i wonder if 2.0 will get leaked... but i guess even if it did, it's not like you'd have all these sweet 3rd party apps to drop on it...

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that Apple (companies in general) had to charge since they arent on a paid subscription. Since the iphone is a monthly fee, that money goes towards the "free" upgrade. They do that with the Mac, each major increment you must pay for, while the minor ones are free.

Yes, though it actually has to do with how the company chooses to account for the revenue, not that it's a monthly fee per se. The AppleTV revenue is actually accounted for on a 24 month schedule too like the iPhone, which is why the major "take 2" update was free. The iPod Touch, however, isn't accounted for over a span of time, thus the charge. But my point is that it's going to get ridiculous if every firmware update for the iPod Touch is $20.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Yes, though it actually has to do with how the company chooses to account for the revenue, not that it's a monthly fee per se. The AppleTV revenue is actually accounted for on a 24 month schedule too like the iPhone, which is why the major "take 2" update was free. The iPod Touch, however, isn't accounted for over a span of time, thus the charge. But my point is that it's going to get ridiculous if every firmware update for the iPod Touch is $20.

Well not every update has been. The last update wasnt technically $20, it was just if you wanted those apps, otherwise it was free. Every other one has been free too. So this would technically be the first paid for update, and hopefully its not $20.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
my guess is $20 because a) it increases shareholder wealth, the purpose of apple and its business
b) because any new purchase of a touch will already have the update post late june just like the january update
c) Apple prob. believes that most, if not all (exluding a few who will remain jailbroken) will opt to particpate in the new App Store..and $20 is worth it
d) you have 4 months to count and save your pennies
e) they can do whatever they want -->refer to c).
f) if you want to make your money back, buy shares of stock in the company, and when you sell, deduct your capital gains tax, and wholla, you have your money back

As a shareholder I'd be happier to see high customer satisfaction and fast adoption over a little extra money in the short run. And when asked a couple days ago about the share price dropping and why he hadn't make any statements to reassure shareholders, Jobs was pretty clear on his feelings:

"We don't think it's our job to manage our shareholders," Jobs said. "It's our job as the management team to manage the company, to manage it through when the stock price is going up and to manage it when the stock price is going down."

Oddly enough, I actually found that reassuring. :)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Why would they charge for the 2.0 firmware? I read Job isnt going to charge for the firmware, but the SDK apps will cost money

True and false. Jobs is charging for the 2.0 firmware. He has to. App pricing will be based on what the developer wants. Most will be free, but some bigger ones you might have to pay for. I hope AIM is free. It's free on the computer, and its in there best interest for it to be free...seeing as anyone could make an AIM app (port over ApolloIM) for free and then AOL loses out.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The $99/year thing is just to have the app on iTunes right?

If I download the SDK, can I put my app on my own phone and other iPhones through my computer without having to pay anything?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Well not every update has been. The last update wasnt technically $20, it was just if you wanted those apps, otherwise it was free. Every other one has been free too. So this would technically be the first paid for update, and hopefully its not $20.

Didn't you also not get the ability to add/move home screen icons? I thought I saw that on MR or TUAW, but I can't seem to find the post about it. If you upgraded for free did you get the Maps updates? I'm just curious about what they can provide for free vs. not...I think I've read before it's "substantial" updates, but I'm not sure the law explains that in any detail.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
True and false. Jobs is charging for the 2.0 firmware. He has to. App pricing will be based on what the developer wants. Most will be free, but some bigger ones you might have to pay for. I hope AIM is free. It's free on the computer, and its in there best interest for it to be free...seeing as anyone could make an AIM app (port over ApolloIM) for free and then AOL loses out.

I was thinking earlier about whether some native apps, particularly free ones, might have embedded ads. Considering AIM on the desktop does, it's not unimaginable that AOL would provide AIM for free and have an advertising space in the app.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Didn't you also not get the ability to add/move home screen icons? I thought I saw that on MR or TUAW, but I can't seem to find the post about it. If you upgraded for free did you get the Maps updates? I'm just curious about what they can provide for free vs. not...I think I've read before it's "substantial" updates, but I'm not sure the law explains that in any detail.

Im not sure what the cut off is. For the ipod touch, you had to pay for the maps, mail, stocks, weather and one other i think. They would still hve been able to get the free update to be able to move the home screen around and to save webapp links onto the home screen though; I think.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I was thinking earlier about whether some native apps, particularly free ones, might have embedded ads. Considering AIM on the desktop does, it's not unimaginable that AOL would provide AIM for free and have an advertising space in the app.

Sorry for the double post, mods can combine them if need be...

I wouldnt care that much. Free is free. So there is some advertising, as long as it doesnt go full screen when im trying to IM someone. It's free on every other phone too (such as the sidekick) so why not?

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I still can not download the SDK! I am a registered developer too! Arrg!
My link doesn't work either. Just go to developer.apple.com, click on the iPhone dev center, then click the login button. From there you can download straight off that page...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.