iPhone 2.0 Offers 'Wi-Fi Only' Option for Flights

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One new feature shown in the iPhone 2.0 guided tour is the ability to independently turn on Wi-fi after you've switched your iPhone into "Airplane mode". Normally, with Airplane mode, the iPhone turns off both its cellular and Wi-fi transmissions to prevent any inteference with the plane's navigation system.

The need for Wi-fi on a plane is a rather new feature with a company called Gogo starting to offer Wi-fi internet access on domestic flights beginning this summer.

Gogo will be launching on three American Airline routes in July, with plans to expand to several other major U.S. airlines next year. The cost for the service is $12.95 for flights of three hours or longer and $9.95 for shorter trips.

Article Link

2. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Fantastic! When I'm overseas, I turn off data roaming, but to use wifi, I have to have airplane mode turned off. This makes my iphone connect to the local cell network and all incoming calls are $3.99/minute! Even if I don't answer them, I get charged! Been waiting for this.

3. matt18 macrumors newbie

very nice...I was wondering when this was going to come into play!

4. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Typo...

5. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

I was wondering when they would add this feature - wifi on airplanes has been ready to arrive for a while now, and the firmware is just in time.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good feature... and even better with some budget airlines looking at "free" wifi..... not sure I would pay for it otherwise..... not at the prices mentioned.... a day of fly east/west could end up costing $60 or more! :(

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Eh, I still wouldn't pay for any internet usage on a plane

Just would rather pick up a few books and read them

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Or even load up on some movies as I have done in the past.....

10. moniker macrumors member

I wish they would also add the feature to turn off GSM. When I'm on a 3G-only network, as I usually am, it makes no sense to spend battery power on the GSM radio unit.

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Great, so now I can go abroad and still use Wi-Fi without worrying about expesnive data/phone charges!

Doubt I'll ever really need Wi-Fi on the plane but then, at those prices, why wouldn't you!

12. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

That sounds quite bad, not sure if this will help or not. UK operators only charge for connected calls, whether that's to a voice mail box or to the user when he/she picks up the call. If you disable the voice mail box when you're abroad, you'll only get charged for the calls you physically answer.

This is how it works with UK operators, not sure if US carriers follow the same model

Jay

13. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

as far as I'm aware, the same chip handles GSM and 3G..

14. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

Hey! Mother F***** "Wi-Fi on a Plane!"

What a movie that would make!

15. orion123 macrumors regular

Nice! I know lots of medical folks had requested this as cellphones are banned in certain parts of hospitals, but the nurses and doctors need WiFi.

I've been asking apple for this for a while, as my girlfriend is a lawyer and they can't have cell phones in court (interferes with stenography machines) but can have wifi.

16. GrahamPadruig macrumors newbie

Wi-Fi Old Hat on Planes

Unless I'm misremembering I used my PowerBook with WiFi on a Lufthansa flight to Sao Paulo from Frankfurt in 2005! I remember that they couldn't guarantee service south of the Equator. I was able to check my emails, browse the web, etc. all at 33,000ft over the Atlantic! So I think the US has some catching up to do - it's probably something to do with the conservatism of the FAA.

17. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Sadly, it doesn't work this way with ATT. I called about the charges and they credited them back to me, but said I was charged even though I didnt answer. Since the call was coming in, using a foreign network, I was charged.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You are not misremembering. Unfortunately, Lufthansa (along with United...an ahem...U.S. carrier) canceled the service early last year. The lack of Wi-Fi on U.S. planes has nothing to do with the "conservatism" of the FAA but the fact that it's expensive to roll out and Airlines are not exactly awash in money these days and people don't feel like paying $20 for Wi-Fi for a 3 hour trip.

19. ZBB macrumors newbie

Correct... That was Boeing's Conexxion (sp?) service, that Boeing shut down since not many airlines offered it and it lost money, so Boeing killed it... Lufthansa and United probably were not that happy...

I tried it on a Lufthansa flight I had from the US to Germany a couple years ago -- but only because I had a coupon, so it was a free trial...

20. nvbrit macrumors 6502

nvbrit

If you are traveling internationally, spending 10-15 hours maybe on an airplane then paying just $12.95 for wifi access during that whole flight is well worth it

21. sccaldwell macrumors member

Exactly why I want this feature, too. I was in the Mediterranean shortly after I got my iPhone, and even though I had tons of places where I could have used the Wi-Fi access for free, I wasn't willing to turn it on because of the phone charges I would have incurred. Now I'll be ready for the next trip! :)

Craig

22. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Since your on Wi-Fi, you could use the VOIP app to talk away on the plane for 12.95 over a multiple hour flight (6-12hrs). Cool. Only concern would be bandwidth I guess.

23. moonzilla macrumors regular

well actually, if im not mistaken, the Go service is only available when flying over the continental US. i believe the service is land-based, so no go (pun intended) on transatlantic or transpacific routes. basically 12.95 will get you 6 hours (as most flights within the US do not exceed this) minus take off and landing. for someone who composes a lot of emails during a flight, really not a bad deal

24. drewhp89 macrumors newbie

drewhp89

Wow, I guess if it's a 10 or 12 hour flight, 12.95 might be justified. But, 9.95 for a flight UNDER three hours. Can you not wait 2 hours or 2.5 hours to get onto your email? I mean, you did in the past...