Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

himansk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
My iphone just went to the recovery mode without warning tonight, it was stuck at the purple screen with the itunes icon with the usb connector icons. I tried syncing with itunes, it was syncing fine, but i couldnt get into the iphone. Restoring from xcode didnt work either, using the legitimate 5A225c build. I am now restoring to firmware 1.4, hopefully i can get the phone working for now and investigate later (its 4AM EST!!!). Anyway, has anybody else had similar problems??
{EDIT} Restoring to 1.4 didnt work, it failed when trying to update baseband. Xcode says the iphone is not activated, activate in itunes, itunes is able to sync to the iphone but it is not giving me an option to activate it. hard resets,restores nothing is working, will need to take it to the genius bar now

himansk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Nope, fully ligitimate copy of sdk and iPhone OS. Xcode now says "This device is expired. Please install a newer version of the OS."
Now there is no newer OS yet!!!!

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Yeah, all of the copies of 5A225c (and 5A127 too, I think) expired as of 12am PST on April 8th.

The genius bar isn't going to be able to do anything for you. When you tried to downgrade, what exactly happened? I'll try to help you downgrade, but unfortunately if you're really a developer then we're both violating our NDA agreements by even mentioning it. If you're not a developer, you're up a creek until the next leak (hopefully not for a while, bastards) unless you can get it to downgrade.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Wait for the new version, while you are waiting pwn the iPhone then downgrade it to 1.1.4.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
He shouldn't need to pwn it if he's downgrading to 1.1.4. Or I suppose I could have the iPhonePlus+ version that can use future versions' basebands on older firmwares without being pwned.

himansk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I dont get it, so now all developers are out of using their iphones??? As far as I know, most (if not all) indipendent developers like me are using their primary phones as development phones, its not fair to just leave us hanging without a working phone like this!!!

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I dont get it, so now all developers are out of using their iphones??? As far as I know, most (if not all) indipendent developers like me are using their primary phones as development phones, its not fair to just leave us hanging without a working phone like this!!!

Apple=bastards, get over it :D

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null

Yeah, I'm using my primary phone as my development phone too, but I'm a bit experienced in jailbreaking and such so I had no problems downgrading it. Its really not that hard to downgrade, but I would expect a new version sometime soon (today-wise).

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Its not a hard downgrade...you just option-click Restore and select the 1.1.4 ipsw file then use iLiberty+ or a similar tool to knock your device out of DFU mode when you get the 1015 error from iTunes.

himansk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Its not a hard downgrade...you just option-click Restore and select the 1.1.4 ipsw file then use iLiberty+ or a similar tool to knock your device out of DFU mode when you get the 1015 error from iTunes.
Yes it does not fully downgrade, the baseband remains the same. I just did the restore, finally have a working phone :)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My iphone just went to the recovery mode without warning tonight, it was stuck at the purple screen with the itunes icon with the usb connector icons. I tried syncing with itunes, it was syncing fine, but i couldnt get into the iphone. Restoring from xcode didnt work either, using the legitimate 5A225c build. I am now restoring to firmware 1.4, hopefully i can get the phone working for now and investigate later (its 4AM EST!!!). Anyway, has anybody else had similar problems??
{EDIT} Restoring to 1.4 didnt work, it failed when trying to update baseband. Xcode says the iphone is not activated, activate in itunes, itunes is able to sync to the iphone but it is not giving me an option to activate it. hard resets,restores nothing is working, will need to take it to the genius bar now

That is why you WAIT until 1.2.0 is officially released, right now it's in BETA stage [which sure does contain bugs]. I don't know what all the fuss is about a beta firmware. It can really screw up your iPhone and then you have no one to blame but yourself. I may get bashed for this, but I don't care.

Next time, stay on the Official iPhone firmware and you will have no problems even if you jailbreak or unlock.

BTW, Genius bar will definitely ask how you got 1.2.0 on it, and then refuse you service if you are not part of the Developer's Program for Enterprise.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
yeah why are you complaining about a beta project that is months away from release? you had to have SOME idea what you were getting yourself into

himansk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
That is why you WAIT until 1.2.0 is officially released, right now it's in BETA stage [which sure does contain bugs]. I don't know what all the fuss is about a beta firmware. It can really screw up your iPhone and then you have no one to blame but yourself. I may get bashed for this, but I don't care.

Next time, stay on the Official iPhone firmware and you will have no problems even if you jailbreak or unlock.

BTW, Genius bar will definitely ask how you got 1.2.0 on it, and then refuse you service if you are not part of the Developer's Program for Enterprise.

I am on 2.0 firmware coz I AM developing apps for it, being part of the official developer program. I now know genius bar will not be able to help not coz I have illegitimate copy (I have a perfectly legal copy) but because they dont have access to the next version of the OS to fix this.
I do not have any problems with the bugs, coz I expect them and have seen lots of them in the last month, but the problem I have is with the fact that this expiration of iphone OS is not a bug but intentional, which would have been fine if we had known about it, instead of waking up one morning without a usable phone and no clear official way to go back to a working OS.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Oh shut up. We're all developers here, stop trolling.

I'm not bashing developers. I am just stating that people WHO DO NOT need 1.2.0 should not get it.

Developers can go ahead, they have the cash to repair or replace their iPhones or can repair their iPhone themselves [which is pretty amazing].

But non-developers, these people are risking everything just for a firmware that's not even complete.

I am on 2.0 firmware coz I AM developing apps for it, being part of the official developer program. I now know genius bar will not be able to help not coz I have illegitimate copy (I have a perfectly legal copy) but because they dont have access to the next version of the OS to fix this.
I do not have any problems with the bugs, coz I expect them and have seen lots of them in the last month, but the problem I have is with the fact that this expiration of iphone OS is not a bug but intentional, which would have been fine if we had known about it, instead of waking up one morning without a usable phone and no clear official way to go back to a working OS.

I am not bashing you. Its a statement directed at those not part of the developer program.

It seems all iPhone 1.2.0 expired today, maybe part of the Enterprise Dev Program Something missed when accepting the terms.

Here is a quote from Hackint0sh.org about 1.2.0 and how to go back down to 1.1.4 working fully
Hey everyone.

I am going to explain how you can go from 2.0 firmware to 1.1.4 fully working.

1a. Go into recovery mode (or DFU mode) and restore to 1.1.4. You will get error 1113 or 1115 at the end. Now get out of recovery mode using either iNdependence or iBrickr.

1b. Download iLiberty+ (or iLibertyX) and jailbreak and activate your iPhone.

2. Go to Settings>General>Auto-Lock and select never.

3. Launch installer and install the package named: (2.0) Baseband eraser. It is in the iClarified category.

4. Restore iPhone to 1.1.4 using iTunes then unlock jailbreak and activate with a method of your choice!

All working! Any problems?

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
I've got the PSOD as well. :mad: Bring on the new firmware :D Apple Developer Connection Phone Support wasn't any help when I called. There's not ETA for when the new firmware is gonna show up

himansk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I've got the PSOD as well. :mad: Bring on the new firmware :D Apple Developer Connection Phone Support wasn't any help when I called. There's not ETA for when the new firmware is gonna show up

you can expect that from apple, especially as part of the beta program. since i managed to downgrade so i am not in any hurry right now, so i didnt bother calling or visiting the genius bar.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
ADC Phone Support still has no idea whats going on or any answers. Their one suggestion was restoring to the current 5A225c build. I fail to see how that would work. Isn't that the firmware that is expired though? :confused:

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
This sort of thing reminds me of just why I've been thinking of getting a Touch as a development test platform...

... Unless I can get a new iPhone and still use the old (now inactivated SIMless) one for such things.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Try changing the date on your computer to a few days ago and resync. This should update the date on your iPhone, reenabling it.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Try changing the date on your computer to a few days ago and resync. This should update the date on your iPhone, reenabling it.

Considering most iPhones are, by definition, connected to a cellular network that sets the device time for you...I think this is kind of silly, no?

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Considering most iPhones are, by definition, connected to a cellular network that sets the device time for you...I think this is kind of silly, no?

If a sync will update your phone date and time, you will be able to go on and disable cellular network time syncing in the General Settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.