Iphone 2.1 Dropping Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thechad003, Sep 10, 2008.

1. thechad003 macrumors newbie

thechad003

i was at a apple store here in arizona today about 3 o'clock and i was with my buddy getting help with a genius at the genius bar, and this guy comes up with a problem about his software or something and one of the genius said he could replace it for him or he could wait till tomorrow when the update came out and see if that fixes the problem and and if not come back an he could replace it then. so my question is does this genius know what he is talking about? will the 2.1 update drop earlier than originally stated?:confused:

2. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Usually genius' arent a great source for upcoming iPhone news but who knows

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I'll bet the genius thought today was Thursday :rolleyes:

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's coming out on Friday. Apple isn't going to push it a day ahead just to learn that they didn't test it enough.

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

One extra day wouldn't help much, but I agree about Apple not having any reason to release 2.1 one day earlier. :)

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Testing is done. Do you really think they would keep testing it until Thursday night? What if they found a major glitch? Would they then make an announcement saying "Sorry, it's gonna be a few more days."? Apple doesn't do that. They said Friday because they feel it's as ready as it's gonna get, right now.

As for coming out tomorrow, the Genius obviously thought today was Thursday. A Genius has about as much inside info as your mom, unless a memo goes out to all employees, which is promptly leaked everywhere.

7. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah I wouldn't think that much into it...
    I never know which day of the week it is :p

EDIT: Although now it is officially 12:35AM and technically is "dropping" tomorrow ;)

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They would and I'm willing to bet that they are doing some final tests now. They said Friday because they knew their servers would crash on Tuesday with all the load. Apple has put off updates before and pulled them because of bugs they didn't find and fixed them, even if it meant that they didn't meet the date they announced.

9. kyen1 macrumors member

While I doubt it will be included in 2.1, the only thing I want is the ability to turn off the accelerometer. It annoys me to no end.

10. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Genius or Psychic

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released the firmware a little early if their servers are not overly busy and it's ready.

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

You're not alone :cool:

12. thechad003 thread starter macrumors newbie

thechad003

yes

thats whats i was thinking while hearing this.. what are apples servers gonna be like when everyone is trying to get on and DL the update all at the same time? can apples servers handle that? its seems to be a major and very anticipated update i figure releasing it a day early and might take some weight off of the servers

13. ogdogg macrumors 6502

They've released every update a day early if recent memory serves me correctly. They just don't allow you to update automatically until the following day. My guess is that most of us will be 2.1 by tomorrow evening. :eek:

14. thechad003 thread starter macrumors newbie

thechad003

most people who are on here actually check manaully for a update during these times right? so i agree most of us could be running 2.1 by thursday night

15. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Technically, it is tomorrow for me. EST! I get it first, lol.

+ whatever number you guys are on for Thursday

16. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

If Apple is like any other software company, the tests they're doing now are for the next firmware update, not for 2.1.

17. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Apple has plenty of bandwidth to spare on their servers, it won't be an issue.

18. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i wouldn't be surprised if it came out after midnight thursday night. that'd be great for a night owl like me....

19. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Why do so many of u think it's coming thursday now? The idea would have more creditability if the op actually would have asked him/her for clarification. If the jobs said friday than it's probably going to be Friday.

20. lewisha macrumors newbie

Its Coming Friday !!!!

its coming friday not thursday !!!!

lewisha

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

As already stated, 1 minute past midnight, Friday, is Thursday elsewhere. Also the guy could have just got the day wrong.

Anyone know what previous release times have been, hour wise?

22. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Wow, I think you need to go to a therapy group if you're thinking this far into a simple cell phone upgrade. :eek: It's not the end of the world.

23. The General macrumors 601

The iPhone 3G was released on a Friday in New Zealand which was actually Thursday here in California.

I dunno, I would think the update release time would be based in Cupertino.

24. angrywaiter macrumors member

I thought Apple were timing it so that the release of 2.1 Firmware would occur the moment the two particles collided in the Large Hadron Collider over at CERN. Thus sir you are incorrect IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD!

Damn you Apple !! You dirty Rotten Apple !!!!

25. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

While I was on the phone speaking with the 2nd tier dept about an Itunes fullscreeen issue I'm having, I asked her if Friday is still the date for 2.1 on the iPhone, and she mentioned to me that there are a select few of consumers that have 2.1 already.