Iphone 2.1 Dropping Tomorrow?

thechad003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Arizona
i was at a apple store here in arizona today about 3 o'clock and i was with my buddy getting help with a genius at the genius bar, and this guy comes up with a problem about his software or something and one of the genius said he could replace it for him or he could wait till tomorrow when the update came out and see if that fixes the problem and and if not come back an he could replace it then. so my question is does this genius know what he is talking about? will the 2.1 update drop earlier than originally stated?:confused:

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
i was at a apple store here in arizona today about 3 o'clock and i was with my buddy getting help with a genius at the genius bar, and this guy comes up with a problem about his software or something and one of the genius said he could replace it for him or he could wait till tomorrow when the update came out and see if that fixes the problem and and if not come back an he could replace it then. so my question is does this genius know what he is talking about? will the 2.1 update drop earlier than originally stated?:confused:
I'll bet the genius thought today was Thursday :rolleyes:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Warbrain said:
It's coming out on Friday. Apple isn't going to push it a day ahead just to learn that they didn't test it enough.
Testing is done. Do you really think they would keep testing it until Thursday night? What if they found a major glitch? Would they then make an announcement saying "Sorry, it's gonna be a few more days."? Apple doesn't do that. They said Friday because they feel it's as ready as it's gonna get, right now.

As for coming out tomorrow, the Genius obviously thought today was Thursday. A Genius has about as much inside info as your mom, unless a memo goes out to all employees, which is promptly leaked everywhere.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Testing is done. Do you really think they would keep testing it until Thursday night? What if they found a major glitch? Would they then make an announcement saying "Sorry, it's gonna be a few more days."? Apple doesn't do that. They said Friday because they know it's as ready as it's gonna get, right now.
They would and I'm willing to bet that they are doing some final tests now. They said Friday because they knew their servers would crash on Tuesday with all the load. Apple has put off updates before and pulled them because of bugs they didn't find and fixed them, even if it meant that they didn't meet the date they announced.

kyen1

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
While I doubt it will be included in 2.1, the only thing I want is the ability to turn off the accelerometer. It annoys me to no end.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Genius or Psychic

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released the firmware a little early if their servers are not overly busy and it's ready.

thechad003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Arizona
yes

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released the firmware a little early if their servers are not overly busy and it's ready.
thats whats i was thinking while hearing this.. what are apples servers gonna be like when everyone is trying to get on and DL the update all at the same time? can apples servers handle that? its seems to be a major and very anticipated update i figure releasing it a day early and might take some weight off of the servers

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
It's coming out on Friday. Apple isn't going to push it a day ahead just to learn that they didn't test it enough.
They've released every update a day early if recent memory serves me correctly. They just don't allow you to update automatically until the following day. My guess is that most of us will be 2.1 by tomorrow evening. :eek:

thechad003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Arizona
They've released every update a day early if recent memory serves me correctly. They just don't allow you to update automatically until the following day. My guess is that most of us will be 2.1 by tomorrow evening. :eek:
most people who are on here actually check manaully for a update during these times right? so i agree most of us could be running 2.1 by thursday night

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
They would and I'm willing to bet that they are doing some final tests now. They said Friday because they knew their servers would crash on Tuesday with all the load. Apple has put off updates before and pulled them because of bugs they didn't find and fixed them, even if it meant that they didn't meet the date they announced.
If Apple is like any other software company, the tests they're doing now are for the next firmware update, not for 2.1.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
thats whats i was thinking while hearing this.. what are apples servers gonna be like when everyone is trying to get on and DL the update all at the same time? can apples servers handle that? its seems to be a major and very anticipated update i figure releasing it a day early and might take some weight off of the servers
Apple has plenty of bandwidth to spare on their servers, it won't be an issue.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
i wouldn't be surprised if it came out after midnight thursday night. that'd be great for a night owl like me....

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Why do so many of u think it's coming thursday now? The idea would have more creditability if the op actually would have asked him/her for clarification. If the jobs said friday than it's probably going to be Friday.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
its coming friday not thursday !!!!

lewisha
As already stated, 1 minute past midnight, Friday, is Thursday elsewhere. Also the guy could have just got the day wrong.

Anyone know what previous release times have been, hour wise?

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
As already stated, 1 minute past midnight, Friday, is Thursday elsewhere. Also the guy could have just got the day wrong.

Anyone know what previous release times have been, hour wise?
Wow, I think you need to go to a therapy group if you're thinking this far into a simple cell phone upgrade. :eek: It's not the end of the world.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Wow, I think you need to go to a therapy group if you're thinking this far into a simple cell phone upgrade. :eek: It's not the end of the world.
The iPhone 3G was released on a Friday in New Zealand which was actually Thursday here in California.

I dunno, I would think the update release time would be based in Cupertino.

angrywaiter

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
I thought Apple were timing it so that the release of 2.1 Firmware would occur the moment the two particles collided in the Large Hadron Collider over at CERN. Thus sir you are incorrect IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD!

Damn you Apple !! You dirty Rotten Apple !!!!

Cyclone Chris

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
While I was on the phone speaking with the 2nd tier dept about an Itunes fullscreeen issue I'm having, I asked her if Friday is still the date for 2.1 on the iPhone, and she mentioned to me that there are a select few of consumers that have 2.1 already.