iPhone 2.1, Hit or Miss? And Why? [POLL]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Sep 12, 2008.

?

2.1... Hit or a Miss?

1. Definatly a hit!

123 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. So good, that I forgot how good an iPhone could be!

33 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Miss... I'm a bit disspointed

24 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Just like 2.0.2, I miss the 1.1.3 days :(!

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

So 2.1 is out. Judging by how fast the 2.1 release thread is growing, lot's of people are/have upgraded. How is it so far? Has it breathed new life into your iPhone, or is still dropping calls and generally slow.

So... is 2.1 a hit... or a miss?

snverhallen

2. jcapz macrumors member

so far so good!!!

I have seen some significant changes so far. The update went smoothely with my mac...read some reports of some with windows having problems. My signal is stronger...went from seeing 3 to 4 bars to a constant 5 in my area, the backup was quick, installing an app took seconds rather than minutes, and the genius playlist works great. That's all I've tested so far.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

A big hit. Apps install in a fraction of the time they used to (77 apps in 35 minutes, compared with 3+ hours with 2.0.x) and no longer cause the phone to ALoD. The UI is more responsive and there's significantly less lag when opening apps/settings/etc ... My 3G reception is better (at least, it appears better) as I now have 5 bars sitting in my home office, whereas before I had 2-4 in exactly the same place.

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Working great but so did the others the first day. So we'll see. I hope it stays like it is. My texting is alot faster.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Should have had an option for 'meh'
    It's an OK update, but I can't get excited about an update that does nothing but make the phone work largely as it should have done 2 months ago. Maybe I'm getting jaded but the gloss is wearing a bit thin on the iPhone now

6. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I picked a hit, but in all honestly this is the way it should have been in the beginning.

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Both.

I like that they fixed what should have already worked.

I like that they fixed upgrading apps, they now replace the old location instead of moving to the next free slot and erasing the old icon.

Where is Genius on the 1st gen iphone?

8. sybase macrumors newbie

Seriously? THANK GOD.. I was just complaining about that last night.. I will say this about apple, like any other company they have problems, but their employees/developers most likely actually USE their products and fix things they find annoying.

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Genius is something Ive been waiting for for the last 5 years.

THanks!!! Lag is finally gone, but thats just something that should of been from "day 1"

10. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with you all in that, that the stability of 2.1 should have been there in the beginning with 2.0. Oh well, we have it now.

snverhallen

11. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

It fixed contacts lag, fixed keyboard lag, and no more crashing. :)

12. markgamber macrumors 6502

It finally works like it was supposed to in the first place. What I'd like to know is what, of consequence, has happened since 7/11 that Apple couldn't have waited until now to start selling it. Their reputation has taken a hit because they HAD to push it out the door in that state. Was it worth it?

13. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I can now get full bars on 3G at my house. Usually I could only get that on campus or near the mall.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dont want to judge yet until a week or so but its seems to check the right buttons thus far. To me 2.1 is what 2.0 should have been and 2.0 should have been beta 2 or something.

Its still not up to 1.1.4 standards IMHO but its getting close

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I'll give it a while to let the bugs manifest themselves before I vote.

It'll be nice to read others experiences with the update tho.

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

It's a total hit. I've never had 6 bars of 3G before. :)

[​IMG]

17. geist262 macrumors newbie

I agree with this statement. I don't know why they even bothered to tamper with the signal strength bars. I thought it was fine after 2.0.2. I live at the edge of the 3g network and will get two bars in my house and it fluctuates from 1 to 3. Sometimes, I would lose it even if I didn't move. Now it just looks stupid dropping from 5 bars down to edge. I mean if I didn't move, why would my 5 bars go to edge? Don't get me wrong, but it was my impression signal was to be improved, not a paint job on signal strength. Anyway, I am happy with all the other improvements made. As for the turn by turn GPS, I figured that was not going to materialize, at least for now.

18. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

How in the world did you get that. I have never seen that before!

snverhallen

19. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Huge hit for me.

Fixed contacts lag (mostly.. the longest it has taken since the update has been 4 seconds.. and only once)
    Keyboard lag practically non-existant
    Surfing in Safari doesn't crash the ipod for me (Hasn't yet, anyway)
    Application installs are a dream. (99mb app like Asphalt 4 was very quick)

20. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold you here? Still wondering how you got those 6 bars :eek:

snverhallen

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So far, I really don't see a difference in my iPhone. However, I just upgraded a couple of hours ago and didn't really have any issues with it before the upgrade.

22. 226896 Guest

I detect Photoshop usage ;]

23. rohameto macrumors newbie

Why?

I'm an early first gen iPhone customer, Now a 3g customer.

WHY are you people not outraged? The 3g phone has functioned like crap since release. The bugs were released to you, and your hard earned money has paid for them. Now there are fixes? Yes, better late than never, but this is not a great hardware fix. It's a, we're pissing people off hardware fix.

It's simple, this phone is still lacking features, e.g. personal.. a2dp and MMS and copy and paste.

The phone has the chip that can support a2dp! turn it on! NOW!:eek:

No MMS 2nd gen phone? are you kidding? Emailing is great yes, but you will at times be in low signal area, let alone a 3g coverage area, now instead of click a pic and send to a friend in a hurry, you have to access email, hope it's available, and enjoy the time it takes with the multiple screen touch to send. Hardware and software are supposed to make your life easier with less clicks, period, and no MMS on this phone is a major failure.

My prediction..No MMS will eventually hit apple in the pocket book. Once the hype is done.. Points at self...people will see why MMS is a must have "option" **note the option, and will start looking at other phones that will support this feature..points at self.. (STOP listening to the Apple PR hype...DEMAND MMS support!)

As it stands, when a new phone appears in my market with "full customer in mind features"... 2 iphone go on ebay...the built in iPod will turn to a Zune and take that cash away as well.

Hey Apple, AT&T, I like your iphone, it's a very nice product, but......... it's my money and I can take it away from you for being stupid any time I want to LOL :D

24. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Stop trolling...

kthxbye!