Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
So tomorrow, iPhone OS 2.1 will be released, along with iTunes 8. Is there any way I can upgrade to it without having to re-jailbreak it??? My guess is no.

How soon will it take to get a new version of WinPwn that will jailbreak 2.1? If my memory serves me correctly, it took about a month to jailbreak 2.0, but then 2.0.1, and 2.0.2 were very quick.

Also, does anyone know what exactly is new about it?

Thanks guys! :)

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So tomorrow, iPhone OS 2.1 will be released, along with iTunes 8. Is there any way I can upgrade to it without having to re-jailbreak it??? My guess is no.

How soon will it take to get a new version of WinPwn that will jailbreak 2.1? If my memory serves me correctly, it took about a month to jailbreak 2.0, but then 2.0.1, and 2.0.2 were very quick.

Also, does anyone know what exactly is new about it?

Thanks guys! :)

Do you know that? You don't know that. No.

Fairly. Two weeks or so.

No one knows anything.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
It's still only speculation that it will come tomorrow, but either way, I'd like to know the answers.

This will be my first firmware upgrade while jailbroken. I don't mind waiting until the jailbroken 2.1 is ready, but I'm wondering what I need to do when the time comes. Do I have to restore as a new phone (using 2.1 from apple) THEN jailbreak (I used quickpwn last time)? Or can I just run winpwn or quickpwn with the 2.1 firmware on my jailbroken phone as it is and all of my installed jailbroken stuff will be fine?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i hope they didnt change the framework on 2.1 again so the 2.0 jb apps still work but i dont think they would change it cuz the appstore apps wouldnt work anymore either right?

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
It'll most probably take less than a week to get the new PwnageTool up with 2.1.

The Dev team then update XPwn which WinPwn uses.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
i heard obama is going to be president

does anyone know which day in november he will declare war on france to steal their water-fueled cars?

thanks for all of you help in advance

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Its not the fact that he stated something that wasnt true...

Its the fact that he as well as a million other people ask questions that no one knows, and wont know for at least a few days.

How is someone on this forum supposed to tell you when the new jailbreak is supposed to be out when they dont even know whats in the iPhone version?

It will be posted if and when there is a new jailbreak as soon as it is available...

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Here's what I expect as it's been the case so far...

If you wish to immediately upgrade to 2.1 with an iPhone 2G you should be able to do so and not lose the unlock but lose all the jailbroken apps. It'll be better to wait, though.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
Everyone's so unfriendly in this dang forum.

I think it's mainly Tallest Skil who seems to be unfreindly to everyone who doesn't know as much as he does and he knows a LOT:p
He is the Chuck Norris of MacRumors ;):D
j/k

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Here's what I expect as it's been the case so far...

If you wish to immediately upgrade to 2.1 with an iPhone 2G you should be able to do so and not lose the unlock but lose all the jailbroken apps. It'll be better to wait, though.
So if we wait, we can upgrade our already jailbroken phones to 2.1 and not lose our jailbroken apps and settings? (I know you might not know exactly for this specific upgrade, to 2.1, but in the past, for other updates, has this been the case?)

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
So if we wait, we can upgrade our already jailbroken phones to 2.1 and not lose our jailbroken apps and settings? (I know you might not know exactly for this specific upgrade, to 2.1, but in the past, for other updates, has this been the case?)

Did you even read the post you quoted?

"If you wish to immediately upgrade to 2.1 with an iPhone 2G you should be able to do so and not lose the unlock but lose all the jailbroken apps."

That answered the question you asked. You will lose all jailbroken apps. You're replacing the entire OS image when you upgrade. Therefore, the phone isn't jailbroken any longer.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

"If you wish to immediately upgrade to 2.1 with an iPhone 2G you should be able to do so and not lose the unlock but lose all the jailbroken apps."

That answered the question you asked. You will lose all jailbroken apps. You're replacing the entire OS image when you upgrade. Therefore, the phone isn't jailbroken any longer.

Exactly. Because the unlock exists below the operating system it'll remain. But anything at system level will be lost.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008

Did YOU even read the post YOU quoted? I asked IF WE WAIT, will we still lose the jailbroken stuff. He said it was better to wait, and I was thinking he meant it was better because you wouldn't lose the jailbroken apps and settings, but I wasn't sure if that's exactly what he meant or what has happened in the past, so I wanted some clarification.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Did YOU even read the post YOU quoted? I asked IF WE WAIT, will we still lose the jailbroken stuff. He said it was better to wait, and I was thinking he meant it was better because you wouldn't lose the jailbroken apps and settings, but I wasn't sure if that's exactly what he meant or what has happened in the past, so I wanted some clarification.

No matter what you do you lose your jailbroken apps unless you make a custom IPSW with the software every single time.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
How long is a WinPwn jailbreak release expected to take? QuickPwn doesn't want to work on Vista 64-bit. WinPwn is awesome, though! :)

galenmd

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
n00b here.

My only interest in Jailbreaking is to install a custom SMS. The current ones are too limited, too short, and make them unreliable for me to use as a pager.

If I Jailbreak and install a custom SMS, then upgrade, would I lose the new SMS tone? My guess is that I would lose it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.