iPhone 2.2 before the Storm?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Oct 22, 2008.

1. aandf1978 macrumors member

OP is talking about Blackberry Storm. I don't think so, Apple has no reason to believe people will ditch the iPhone for the Storm if we do not get the 2.2 update with push feature. There is not going to be any chance of the storm even standing up anywhere near the iPhone.

2. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

im completely happy with 2.1 and really could care less when 2.2 comes out, as push kills battery life and i probably wouldnt use it anyway

3. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I decided to buy an iphone 3G instead of blackberry storm because of one thing

storm has no wifi

I know this will be in future generations
    but so will iphone...(meaning the iphone will evolve as well)

iphone3G > storm to me.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Totally a deal breaker for me. I think they reaaallly screwed up on that one. How in the WORLD could they have made the decision to leave WiFi out? And 2.2? I downgraded to 1.1.4 and couldn't be happier!

5. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

The whole reason for push is so you can get notifications sent to the iphone from an app ex: AIM, without the iphone checking at all, push will barely have negative effects on battery life

6. djcraze macrumors regular

Might I ask what your reasoning is there? 2.1 is very stable (IMHO), winterboard is very nice (IDK if he did a port for 1.0).. And a lot of the apps that were on 1.0 are now on 2.0.. So why do you stay on 1.1.4? I couldn't imagine going back to that.. All the new features of 2.0 are just amazing (well 2.1...)

I'm not trying to bash or anything, I'm just thinking I have to be missing something.

7. Neebee macrumors 6502a

clearly, you have no use for copy and paste or increased stability. ;)

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Why do you think copy & paste is coming with 2.2? I seriously doubt it's coming anytime soon.

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you're probably the only one.

10. haddman macrumors regular

Clearly, the only 2 advantages that BB Storm has are Copy and Paste and turn by turn GPS. iPhone still is the better device, although I would definitiley like to see those 2 features sooner rather than later.

11. skestes macrumors member

Banks and Govt

When I worked as a network admin for a regional bank the security dept forbid any BB with WiFi in it. They considered it to be a security hole.

I can see RIM leaving out WiFi to increase adoption from their enterprise customers.

12. amammad macrumors regular

And once again...

[​IMG]

13. rvancil macrumors member

Um...I have one word...VERIZON...God they suck huge harry balls! I would never in a million years ever switch to verizon again...Did it once...NEVER again!! Good coverage, but the most terrible customer service I have ever experienced...I cringe at even the though.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Hero.

15. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

I don't think apple is worried about the storm. I don't understand people that are always looking for the next big thing. I can't imagine a day without my iPhone. It's not perfect but it is so usefull and beautiful. We haven't, even seen what Apple has in store for the next iPhone. The storm would be better on any other provider verizon cripples all phones to control everything I'll stay with AT&T for now.

16. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I assume you're being sarcastic ? Verizon is known to have the best coverage in the nation (which, when all is said and done, the Storm is a PHONE, and that's what matters the most). Sprint had the worst customer service ever, I hear Verizon's is good..........As far as the Storm, I think it's going to be a huge hit for Verizon, should totally blow away the T-Mobile Google phone. Do some research on it, it's a helluva phone, with some things the iPhone can't or won't do. That being said, I am totally addicted to my iPhone 3G, I don't think I've ever used a device so often as the iPhone. I seem to use it constantly,making calls, always on the App store, listening to my music, watching movies, emailing, IM'ing, etc.....it's my favorite gadget of all time, and is so easy and intuitive, I can't imagine ever using something else.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's a popular misconception. Push is not about battery life, it's about speed of notification.

Only RIM's patented method does not constantly have to poll a server.

The rest of the world's push implementations must ping every ten to thirty minutes to keep the connection alive, and thus do use a fair amount of battery.

18. Neebee macrumors 6502a

But that's old school or dinasour like thinking....much in the same way many networks at work block java or flash sites too because of security loopholes....the fact is accessing the internet is a security loophool whether it's through 3G or Edge or through the office intranet.

19. 226896 Guest

Beat me to it. When people say 'I could care less' when they actually mean 'I couldn't care less' I feel like signing them up for an English grammar course for dumb-asses.

Anyway, on to the topic. I'm really not bothered about 2.2. Yea I'll upgrade, but from what I've heard there's no new major innovation that's worth freaking over. Unless you really want to send little pictures of umbrellas and cats to people...

20. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.

umbrellas and cats....????

21. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

No one seemed to answer the question. When do you think it'll be released? more seeds went out today. A Week, two - more?

22. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I am fairly confident it will be more than 2 weeks. but at the same time before christmas. Hoping for around thanksgiving?

23. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

Wow, my iPhone must be pinging every five seconds because that's how long it takes me to get an email when myself, or someone else I'm talking to, sends me an email through mobile me.

There is no way this can be accurate. For instance, when I put my iPhone into fetch mode, polling at 15 minute intervals, it makes my battery run down much faster. Just imagine if it was polling at 180 times that rate.

It would be ridiculous if the iPhone was checking the server 720 times per hour. That would drain the battery well before lunchtime on most days.