Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoneHellas.gr claims that the iPhone 2.2 firmware will become available on November 21st based on what they describe as a "reliable" source. Meanwhile, Gizmodo also describes the iPhoneHellas site as "reliable" but we at MacRumors have had very little experience with the site.

iPhoneHellas.gr also recaps the new features that have been found to be in the early 2.2 iPhone betas:
- New look for the Safari with the Google search bar now occupying its own space on the title bar
- Toggle On / Off to disable the auto-correction
- 461 Japanese emoji icons
- Support for new languages.
- Line-in audio is activated and can be used through the headphone jack
- Google Street View, Google Transit information - Routes public transport, Walking directions, Location sharing.
- App Store: 'Categories' now shows the icons of the applications instead of the list, In each page of the application has been added by a button 'Tell A Friend' & 'Report A Problem', Added the possibility of scoring the application when the user chooses to delete from the device, Added the possibility for direct downloading of podcasts from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
iPhone 2.2 betas have been distributed to developers for early testing.

Article Link: iPhone 2.2 Firmware 10 Days Away?

blilly

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
New home page design needed

One thing I hope they are considering is an optional view for the home page ... While I love the general interface, with the number of apps on my phone growing, I find the placement and access of helpful tools harder and harder to manage.

I think the option of a simple iPod-style column list (similar to app store nav) would make access to apps much more convenient.

MizterJayson

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Push...

I'm with the other guys... I don't care much for a face-lift - I want to see improvements, like, the push service that was promised in September, and the ability to copy and paste, and printing would be kind of cool, too.

While we're on broken promises - when do they plan to start the "email large file" stuff on MobileMe?!

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Seriously hope there is more then that for a .1 update. If anything this has nothing that a .1.1 update couldn't have.

i think we are just spoiled as iphone owners.... we keep getting updates while most other phones just stay as they are forever... or very minor updates... i am glad that we get updates on the phone as we keep getting new things and more stablility with updates.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Where's the wifi network preference order that was taken out of 2.0?? Its a such a pain in the A**, i have 3 networks in my house and my phone is the only device the auto-jumps from the one i want to be on to another that has lower signal. It drives me nuts.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
hope less crash on safari.

This. And I just hope for better phone reception/less dropped calls.

I live in Philadelphia and the amount of dropped calls and weird 3G signal strengths are not fun. By that I mean I will go from full 3G reception to no service at all by moving the phone a foot.

reech

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
I want my push notifications too ;)

@macduke - Push notification enables applications other than mail to 'push' data to the ipod when the application itself isn't running.

For example, if you use an IM client, it'll only receive messages when the client is running. If your iphone\ipod touch goes 'off' or you choose to run another app, then the application is fully closed down.

Push notification will keep apps 'alive' - or at least make such apps aware that they can still check for things going on.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If this is accurate...... it's about time that I'll be able to download podcasts directly to my iPhone. I just hope that the past rumor of "maximum 10 MB" is inaccurate. This feature should have been included along time ago.

But it's true, it doesn't really seem like this update should be called 2.2- it seems like a 2.1.1

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I think it is pretty cool that we have a phone that "evolves." Look at what the 1st gen phone can do now compared to 18 months ago....

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
They can release push notifications but all the apps have to add it in, out of all the apps I can only see one, maybe two that would even benefit from it. As others have mentioned there are still things that crash, I would be much happier if my phone didn't crash daily than if I got push notifications or cut & paste. :p

Last time I checked Apple didn't "promise" any of these features, they are all rumored and wants but Apple has not official announced Cut and Paste and MMS...and notifications were leaked in a beta version for developers.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I want my push notifications too ;)

@macduke - Push notification enables applications other than mail to 'push' data to the ipod when the application itself isn't running.

For example, if you use an IM client, it'll only receive messages when the client is running. If your iphone\ipod touch goes 'off' or you choose to run another app, then the application is fully closed down.

Push notification will keep apps 'alive' - or at least make such apps aware that they can still check for things going on.

Maybe I read this wrong but your app wont get updated information. It's a notification so the app icon on the home screen will get a notification(Numbers probably) that something has changed and when you open the app it's the apps job to update itself. So for IM's if the app supports it the icon will probably show how many messages are waiting for you, when you open the IM app it should update to show you these new messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.