iPhone 2.2 Firmware: What should it include?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trajectory, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Now that the 2.1 firmware has been released, this is what I think Apple will need to add to the next 2.2 update:

1. Copy/Cut and Paste
    2. Ability to add Attendees to Calendar appointments
    3. Video Recording
    Anything else?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

• MMS
    • Bluetooth file transfer
    • The ability to forward text messages
    • Delete individual text messages
    • Mark all emails as read

To name a few

3. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

Um....

PUSH

Stereo Bluetooth would also be very welcome by me.

4. sibruk macrumors 6502a

* IMAP IDLE support.
    * Full support for Leopard Server push email and calendaring (including being able to insert events over the air, invitations, etc. - like Exchange).

Hell froze over the day they made their equipment work with a Microsoft platform before their own.

5. Radioman macrumors regular

Agreed on those three alright, not being able to forward rude and inappropriate texts has affected my social standing!

And, of course cut/paste.

6. awvan macrumors member

7. ViPa macrumors 6502a

these threads are becoming cliche..typical "i want mms, c/p, etc" ..apple's not gonna give us any of that if they havent already..over a year with the iphone and no mms, c/p? what makes you think theyre gonna pop it out now?

8. Radioman macrumors regular

9. icewing macrumors 6502

Location Services

Put Location Services functionality back like it was BEFORE 2.1!! :mad:

10. DaZe3 macrumors member

u forgot the main feature which should have been included in 2.1.... PUSH! =] and I also have to say mms in def needed..

11. trihard macrumors member

How about a turn by turn app? Also, an ability to sync the To Dos from iCal to Calendar? How about the ability to select and go to a specific date in Calendar? What about the ability to just sync certain date ranges from iCal to Calendar? Hell -- how about a whole new FULL FEATURED calendar program!

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the selected items quoted above would do it for me.

13. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

The ability to mark emails as read! - I like to take advantage of this feature with emails that take a while to load, for instance, some email advertisements that I sign up for. It's not something I can't live without, but it would be nice.

Push - I don't necessarily need it. I might not even use it, but I know that the majority of the iPhone's users would, which is why it needs to happen as soon as possible.

MMS - I know we may never get it, but I feel like the iPhone would be the first phone in which I would really take advantage of MMS. Besides, many of my friends don't have email on their phones... and if they do, they still send things via MMS. I'm in college, so MMS is pretty prevalent. I realize that many people WOULDN'T use MMS, so I'm not going to count on it. I'm fine without it, but I would like to be able to use it.

Copy/Paste - To be honest, I would very rarely use it, but it would come in handy when I got a phone number in a text and wanted to save it without calling it. Plus, without MMS, it would be nice to copy and paste those ridiculous codes. I understand that people in a business setting need this badly!

Deleting/Forwarding/Timestamp on Individual Texts - I hear a lot of people asking what we have to hide if we want to delete individual texts. I don't have anything bad to hide -- sometimes I just want to delete a certain text for whatever reason! I think I should be able to do it. (Like I said, I'm young, so my friends and I have most of our conversations over text. Sometimes there is stuff that is said that I would prefer wouldn't be in my inbox forever. And some of the drunk texts I receive... I definitely want to delete some of those...) As for forwarding, I hate those stupid SMS forwards and do not condone them, but I miss being able to forward a text to a friend to ask what they think. (Or forwarding those drunk texts I receive to a girlfriend so we can laugh about it!) As for timestamp, I just feel it could come in handy sometimes. I haven't gotten able to download 2.1 yet (my regular computer isn't working), but it seems like Apple has introduced repeating text notifications -- which was my only other complaint about the text messaging. Good job, Apple!

Video record - This will likely not ever happen, which is fine because I have never used it on my other phones. I have a digital camera, so I rarely even use the iPhone's still camera. However, because the iPhone is supposed to be an all-in-one device, I think a lot of people would really take advantage of this feature. Sure, the camera isn't wonderful, but it's a cell phone... and my cell phones with less impressive cameras have still offered video record. It would also be cool to be able to take videos with the iPhone and upload them to YouTube. That probably isn't even possible now, but I hope that is a possibility someday soon.

Bluetooth music transfer - My friends on Blackberrys use this all of the time. I get jealous. :) I know we won't get this, though!

It would also be cool to have something like Blackberry messenger, but I won't hold my breath. I also doubt I would ever use this feature.

I realize that Apple probably wants to target business users, which is why I feel that most of these things won't happen. However, the iPhone is incredibly popular in my age group, and these are the things my age group use. I can live without them, but I would like to see iPhone have some of the little, simple features that my other phones have had.

To be honest, though, I'll be fine with my iPhone if 2.1 truly does fix all of the lags and the bugs. I'd much rather them fix the important stuff before adding new features.

14. nikokoren macrumors member

2.1 just came out and u guys are already talking about 2.2.. thats like sooooooo lame!!!:mad:

be happy with what u got!! cant have everything in life.. :p
    i'm happy with it even working!!:eek:

so everybody lets say: THANK U MISTER JOBS FORE GIVING US THE GENIUS PLAYLIST!!! (and making the rest of the phone function almost perfecly) LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME NEW AND GREAT STUFF IN THE NEXT FIRMWARE!!!:D

niko

15. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

I second syncing To-Dos!!!!! I do have a To-Do app on my iPhone, but it gets annoying when it doesn't sync and I have to type my To-Dos in two different places. I would also love to be able to sync Notes. It seems like these would be easy to implement, so I'm not sure why it hasn't happened. In fact, I would rather these things happen than any of the features I posted about.

To add to this, I would love to be able to have a week view on my iPhone calendar -- it would look nice in the horizontal view.

16. uberzete macrumors newbie

How often to you find yourself cutting and pasting in your iPhone?

Push is a must.

17. Trajectory thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what we're doing: talking about what we'd like to see in the next firmware update. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

18. jmdfd415 macrumors regular

19. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

1. Standardized cut/copy/paste
    2. A way to not mess with the layout of existing icons when an app is added or updated
    3. Sync notes to desktop

And my #1 wish for v3.0...

A real file system where I can manage my own files. (In a separate space secure from the application space.)

20. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

Never. ;)

21. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

The ability to highlight text so that I can delete a whole paragraph would be a
    lot nicer than currently having to hold down on "backspace" for an hour.

Make the spacebar on the keyboard thicker. When I'm typing, I'm constantly findingwords together.

22. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

For some of us, the point is that other platforms have had these features for a long time and they have been very popular and useful features. So why does Apple consider them unimportant?

23. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

I'm totally happy with my phone as is at the moment and I don't know what should be include, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doin, here's what I know I'd like them to add however.

MMS (duh)
    Video capture from the camera.
    Marking emails as read.
    Editing contact info that's been pushed.
    Stereo bluetooth, I hate fm transmitters.
    Syncing over wi-fi. (why plug in a cord if I don't have to?)
    Making folders in mail so I can click the move and move stuff to them.
    Weather app to have a current location feature.

24. uplusd macrumors 6502